GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I bought a 2018 Goldwing Tour a couple weeks ago and the Wife and I rode about 5 hours Saturday and the seat is awful!
We left out and rode 2 hours nonstop to a common point We ride to often and We were both in pain.

Anyway what are the best custom 'Heated" seats available that connect to the bikes controller for the heat?

The Mustang seat with riders backrest and passenger backrest look great but is it comfortable?
It's expensive $1679.

What about those of You that have done the Wingsoft upgrade to your stock seat is it much more comfortable?

Any help and or suggestions is appreciated!

thanks,
Hwilks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Plenty of choices now for factory heated seats. Not so much three years ago when I bought mine.
I went with a Corbin and like it. Tried a RDL I bought from a forum member first and didn’t like it because it was almost too high for my feet to reach without sliding forward. Kept the passenger backrest though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've owned a Mustang and it would get "hot spots"[without the heat on]and you had to get off ..,sold it. Corbin are a hard rock to ride...Ultimate is the best for me!!! There is about a 5-6 week wait though.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This question has been asked dozens of times. There is a search function on the forum.

You will find passionate:

Russel Day Long fans
Ultimate fans (tall boy for me)
Corbin fans
Wingsoft fans
Diamond seat fans
Mustang seat fans
Air hawk, bead rider, sheep skin, walmart pad fans.

Me? Had a RDL on a three previous bikes including my 06. Great seat.

Had a Ultimate king on my 2001. Great seat.

Had a wingsoft conversion on my 03. Good seat alternation for the money.

Had a RDL built for the previous owner of my 2018. Built for a smaller person then me. Im tall and heavy. Traded it for an Ultimate tall boy and am very happy.

If I was buying a new seat it would be RDL provided you are OK with the wait times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I am a RDL fan I have had 4. The only time I have had a problem is when one was made for a shorter person.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ultimate for me. My third one over the years. That's what I like about Daytona Bike Week. Most of the major mfg'rs have displays where you can sit on them and try one out on your bike.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,272 Posts
Guys,

I bought a 2018 Goldwing Tour a couple weeks ago and the Wife and I rode about 5 hours Saturday and the seat is awful!
We left out and rode 2 hours nonstop to a common point We ride to often and We were both in pain.

Anyway what are the best custom 'Heated" seats available that connect to the bikes controller for the heat?

The Mustang seat with riders backrest and passenger backrest look great but is it comfortable?
It's expensive $1679.

What about those of You that have done the Wingsoft upgrade to your stock seat is it much more comfortable?

thanks,
Hwilks
That work with the factory controller? I'm not sure I know of any - all of them have their own on-seat control for heating.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Currently trying a Mustang (have a Mustang on my other bike and love it)

Looks good

Worked well in the rain - didn't get soggy.

Heat is just as good as OEM

Back rest does not move as far forward as OEM or Show Chrome back rests

Bottom edges are a little longer than OEM and can make removing / installing side panels a bit of a pain.

Very much dislike the Mustang wiring harness (very long runs, multiple connectors - the connector for the passenger seat in particular naturally lands on the frame cross-overbar)

Still get pains in the butt at ~4 hours vice ~2 hours in the OEM seat - but Mustangs have to break in.

Jury is still out

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
I have the Wing Soft currently but I think both the Ultimate & RDL are better at a cost. I will probably move one way or the other. The Ultimate is expensive but you can keep or sell your old seat

·
Registered
702 Posts
When I got my bike a year ago, I could barely ride 50 miles without squirming and 100 stopping so I decided the best way was early fuel stops. I did a lot of research on seats (my older GL has a Corbin) Slowly, the seat got better or maybe I did and after a few months my fuel stops decreased and no problem riding all day. I am quite happy I did not spend the money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this has been asked a thousand times.... And I read most of the threads re: seats. However, I'll add to this one with maybe more of a 'specific' approach. I've owned several aftermarket seats, Corbin, Mustang, seat concepts to name a few. None yet for the GW.

I'm 6' 1" and 165lbs. Somewhat skinny with a skinny butt. When I go to the gym and get up off the equipment, I can see two imprints left behind on the seats from what I believe to be are my ischium bones. That's eventually what starts hurting on both my motorcycles after an hour or so.

Has anyone experienced this specific pain point? If so, would a hard seat (Corbin), or a softer seat be more ideal?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Guys,

It's expensive $1679.

thanks,
Hwilks
We had the Wingsoft upgrade done in early December 2020. It is a drastic improvement over the stock seat. It's not perfect but bang for the buck, it's tough to beat.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Seth Laam custom seats work with the factory heat controller switch. A little more costly than wingsoft but less than RDL.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't cheap out iike I did. I have had three RDL seats and loved them, but they are expensive.I did the Wingsoft upgrade now I have to pay for a RDL and the Wingsoft upgrade.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know this has been asked a thousand times.... And I read most of the threads re: seats. However, I'll add to this one with maybe more of a 'specific' approach. I've owned several aftermarket seats, Corbin, Mustang, seat concepts to name a few. None yet for the GW.

I'm 6' 1" and 165lbs. Somewhat skinny with a skinny butt. When I go to the gym and get up off the equipment, I can see two imprints left behind on the seats from what I believe to be are my ischium bones. That's eventually what starts hurting on both my motorcycles after an hour or so.

Has anyone experienced this specific pain point? If so, would a hard seat (Corbin), or a softer seat be more ideal?
My guess is a softer seat would suit you better. Google ischial tuberosity or sitz bones.

·
Banned
1 Posts
This question has been asked dozens of times. There is a search function on the forum.

You will find passionate:

Russel Day Long fans
Ultimate fans (tall boy for me)
Corbin fans
Wingsoft fans
Diamond seat fans
Mustang seat fans
Air hawk, bead rider, sheep skin, walmart pad fans.

Me? Had a RDL on a three previous bikes including my 06. Great seat.

Had a Ultimate king on my 2001. Great seat.

Had a wingsoft conversion on my 03. Good seat alternation for the money.

Had a RDL built for the previous owner of my 2018. Built for a smaller person then me. Im tall and heavy. Traded it for an Ultimate tall boy and am very happy.

If I was buying a new seat it would be RDL provided you are OK with the wait times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The RDL is the way to go.Iron butters know !

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have had Mustang, Ultimate and RDL seats on various bikes. If I wanted to be fairly sure a seat was going to work for me on day one my first choice would be RDL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I opted for the Russell Day Long Seat on my 2018 because I found the OEM seat very uncomfortable. They customize the fit and I opted for increased support under the thigh and also a high backrise for lower back support. Very happy with it. The trade-off for the thigh support is you have to shift forward to touch feet to ground on stops but now I never even notice it. During the fit I also moved the back support one inch back, which lessened the knee bend for me, to the point where I hardly ever feel the need to stretch out my legs onto the foot pegs. Most importantly my backside never gets butt-sore, it is truly a Day-Long seat. Love it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts