GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Seems you can ride to RDL and get a seat in one day, with planning.

From the RDL web site.

Ride-in appointments are now booking for the end of June. Please call to book a ride-in 1 day service.
Once an order is submitted, you are assigned a production date. That is the date we need your stock seat in our shop (you don’t need to send your seat now and be without it until your date). Production takes about 2 weeks in shop, plus shipping back to you.
Yup, you can. Only problem for me is I'm in Florida :oops:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
Previous model Wing did well with Ultimate BigBoy, but current 2018 has the WingSoft modifications since aftermarket seats were not yet avilable when I purchased my bike. The WingSoft is a "fair" solution, but still a nobel attempt to make a silk purse from a sow's ear; way better than stock, leaves some to desire. WingSoft's turn around time is PDQ, days not weeks or months.

prs
I think the heavier a rider is, the less effective the Wingsoft will be.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
HuH?
4-Months without a seat with a RDL is completely false. Not sure where you got your information.....
3-weeks downtime for me and that includes shipping both ways.......was off riding season anyways so I lost zero riding time.

Rode a few bikes with a Corbin seat.....absolutely not for me, I need some cushion.
someone said it took 4 months from order to delivery, my bad. i didnt read waiting period into it.. ..ok then.its 3 weeks of no riding. works great if youre up north. loss of 3 weeks if you ride year round. my wife would probably love more cushion, lol.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
someone said it took 4 months from order to delivery, my bad. i didnt read waiting period into it.. ..ok then.its 3 weeks of no riding. works great if youre up north. loss of 3 weeks if you ride year round. my wife would probably love more cushion, lol.
Yea it was me..I guess I should had said it was a three month wait for the production date..6 days shipping to the west coast getting there a week early...6 days for Russell to do what they do..then 8 days shipping back to the east coast..so yea, nearly 4 months to get a RDL... 😄

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
I think the heavier a rider is, the less effective the Wingsoft will be.
Hey! You say'n there be too much junk in my trunk! LOL

When I received my WingSoft modified seat I was probably about 255#. It was an improvement, but not so much as I had hoped. On my ride today for about 2 hours I was more sore arsed than ever and my current weight is 198#. So I am not sure excess weight hurts the comfort; maybe all that padding back there on my hind side was helping.

prs

·
Registered
191 Posts
Corbin here, just did 1700m last week, two 580m days with two 300m days. No butt issue but at the end of 580, I was ready for a rest.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had my 18 Goldwing for over 2 years. I agree the stock seat sucks. I ended ou doing the Wingsoft improvement, but found it to be better than the stock seat, but not comfortable enough. So I bit the bullet and got a RDL. I love the looks of the seat and the work is imbeccable. However, it is stiff as a board. I have heard the same about the Corbin and the ultimate seat. So the question comes in do you like a firm seat or a soft seat. I prefer a soft seat. So I have an AirHawk and also purchased a $25 Wal-Mart softgell pad

·
Registered
63 Posts
Guys,

I bought a 2018 Goldwing Tour a couple weeks ago and the Wife and I rode about 5 hours Saturday and the seat is awful!
We left out and rode 2 hours nonstop to a common point We ride to often and We were both in pain.

Anyway what are the best custom 'Heated" seats available that connect to the bikes controller for the heat?

The Mustang seat with riders backrest and passenger backrest look great but is it comfortable?
It's expensive $1679.

What about those of You that have done the Wingsoft upgrade to your stock seat is it much more comfortable?

Any help and or suggestions is appreciated!

thanks,
Hwilks
Seats are a very personal thing so different peoples opinions on a forum site have to be taken with a grain of salt. Personally I love the seat on my 2018 Goldwing tour, for example. I would suggest having a local seat rebuilder work on customizing your current seat. Living in Denver I have had Bitch'n Stitch redo a couple stock seats with great improvement. BTW, they told me they do an amazing amount of customizing work on Corbins. I bought a highly recommended replacement seat for my R1200GS and had to pay the $70 return shipping cuz it was worse that the original according to MY butt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the thing is everybody's body is different. Some like the stock seat while others can't stand it. The cheapest way to go is to try the pads first. I have heard some like Bitchin Stichen while others do not. There is no perfect seat for everyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had one on my 2006 GL1800 and put another one on my 2018 GL1800 Tour, Hartco/Diamond seats work great for me, fwiw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys,

I bought a 2018 Goldwing Tour a couple weeks ago and the Wife and I rode about 5 hours Saturday and the seat is awful!
We left out and rode 2 hours nonstop to a common point We ride to often and We were both in pain.

Anyway what are the best custom 'Heated" seats available that connect to the bikes controller for the heat?

The Mustang seat with riders backrest and passenger backrest look great but is it comfortable?
It's expensive $1679.

What about those of You that have done the Wingsoft upgrade to your stock seat is it much more comfortable?

thanks,
Hwilks
I'm on my 6th GL. I have modified the seat on all of them by removing most of the hard (for me) foam and replacing it with medical grade gel. I leave about 1/4 in foam under the seat element. I can customize the dimensions
Guys,

It's expensive $1679.

thanks,
Hwilks
I am on my 6th GL. I have customized the seat on all of them by removing the foam, leaving 1/4 in under the seat element, and using medical grade gel in place of the foam. It takes me a weekend to complete the entire job for about $200. in materials.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have three Tom Simmons Original seats, Fayetteville, AR. These are hand built from the pan
up to fit the rider. Adjustments made at no cost. Guaranteed 1000 miles in comfort You get what
you pay for, just sayin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That work with the factory controller? I'm not sure I know of any - all of them have their own on-seat control for heating.
Ultimate seat uses stock interface for heat control and I believe I saw where Mustang was working to do that too( that was a while back so should be a “go” by now- if my memory serves me). I have Ultimate seat and love it . Had the wing soft upgrade at first and it improved my comfort time by about 50%~75%, but that’s still not good enough for long times in saddle( meaning ~ 2 hrs). IMO

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
There is no such thing as "the best". Different butts fit different seats.

I am happy with my Hartco. And, you don't have to lose time riding while your seat is in transit. They build their own seat pans, so you don't have to send them your OEM seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guys,

It's expensive $1679.

thanks,
Hwilks
Honestly, give yourselves time to get used to the seat... It's not going to be comfortable on day one. I felt the same way when I bought my 2019 GW Tour... I was like WTH was Honda thinking?? ... But after 1,900 miles of riding, I got used to it and don't notice it at all. The seat is quite comfortable to me now... Put some more miles down on the road and check back in later with us... Seriously, you will probably get used to it and save yourself an awful LOT of money...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had my 18 Goldwing for over 2 years. I agree the stock seat sucks. I ended ou doing the Wingsoft improvement, but found it to be better than the stock seat, but not comfortable enough. So I bit the bullet and got a RDL. I love the looks of the seat and the work is imbeccable. However, it is stiff as a board. I have heard the same about the Corbin and the ultimate seat. So the question comes in do you like a firm seat or a soft seat. I prefer a soft seat. So I have an AirHawk and also purchased a $25 Wal-Mart softgell pad
My F6B is tough on my 2 butt bones; I bought an AirHawk and yes it doubled my miles... I can almost do 300 miles without crying. Did the addition of that $25 Walmart Softgell pad help? I'm not as vain as I was 45 years ago ;-)

41 - 60 of 84 Posts