GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My F6B is tough on my 2 butt bones; I bought an AirHawk and yes it doubled my miles... I can almost do 300 miles without crying. Did the addition of that $25 Walmart Softgell pad help? I'm not as vain as I was 45 years ago ;-)
Yes it really did. The gel is really soft and holes keep air flowing. Here is how it is packaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
My vote would be the Russell Daylong ! Just bought my 2018 wing, and the very first thing to order was the Day Long saddle. It's our 4th daylong! as my wife says "best money you've spent on the motorcycle" ! Nuff said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The OEM was good for me for about 70 miles before discomfort set in...with this seat it was the first time I ever had a passenger complain about the seat on my Gold Wings. I tried seat beads and a sheep skin and learned that those items dont really help at all on top of a bad seat...the sheep skin was a complete waste of money for me.

I did the Wingsoft seat back in early 2018 before the aftermarket seat companys caught up..both rider and passenger seat.

At 5' 10" and 180lbs, I found the Wingsoft to be far superior to the OEM seat. The Wingsoft was totally comfortable on local day rides..and if you only rode locally the Wingsoft would had been perfect...but...on road trips, I would ride about 300 miles before I would have to start standing up to relieve hot spots...but once I did that, I was comfortable when I sat back down for another 50 miles and then I would repeat the cycle of standing to relieve some hot spots along the days ride...but overall, I could ride all day mostly in comfort with the Wingsoft and I was mostly happy with the Wingsoft.

I have just moved to a RDL seat because I just wanted more comfort on road trips. My first impression with my first ride with RDL was the amount of extra support the seat gives along the outer edges of your hips...you can feel your body weight is spread out much more than with the OEM style seat. The seat pocket that Russell creates for you from the pictures and other measurements you send them is perfect for me...the seat truly feels like it was built for my body and this seat feels very comfortable for me right out of the box before even being broken in. I'm very impressed with this RDL.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I would had skipped the Wingsoft and put the money into the RDL...I think the Wingsoft was 430 or so for rider and passenger seat, and the RDL was 978 for rider and passanger seat with a rain cover...plus shipping costs which isn't cheap to ship a seat.
HuH?
4-Months without a seat with a RDL is completely false. Not sure where you got your information.....
3-weeks downtime for me and that includes shipping both ways.......was off riding season anyways so I lost zero riding time.

Rode a few bikes with a Corbin seat.....absolutely not for me, I need some cushion.
I tried the Wingsoft and didn’t like it at all. Sort of throws you forward leaning on the bars. Got the Mustang and absolutely love it. It’s more like a bucket seat and very very comfortable. You won’t need the passenger backrest. Stock one is fine and matches well too.
I’ve had Mustang in at least 3 Harley’s and they were all fantastic. No break-in needed just hop on and ride ride ride.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
I tried the Wingsoft and didn’t like it at all. Sort of throws you forward leaning on the bars. Got the Mustang and absolutely love it. It’s more like a bucket seat and very very comfortable. You won’t need the passenger backrest. Stock one is fine and matches well too.
I’ve had Mustang in at least 3 Harley’s and they were all fantastic. No break-in needed just hop on and ride ride ride.
I have a Mustang on my Road Star...its made very well and a very comfort seat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Guys,

I bought a 2018 Goldwing Tour a couple weeks ago and the Wife and I rode about 5 hours Saturday and the seat is awful!
We left out and rode 2 hours nonstop to a common point We ride to often and We were both in pain.

Anyway what are the best custom 'Heated" seats available that connect to the bikes controller for the heat?

The Mustang seat with riders backrest and passenger backrest look great but is it comfortable?
It's expensive $1679.

What about those of You that have done the Wingsoft upgrade to your stock seat is it much more comfortable?

Any help and or suggestions is appreciated!

thanks,
Hwilks
I bought the 2018 tour as well. I felt like you when I first rode the bike. I know seats are expensive and I was disappointed in the seat comfort and was ready to get a new seat right away. I have always liked the seats on the Honda (except for the F6B I had). But I kept riding it and after some seat time the seat has gotten better. There are no longer hot spots and I can ride it all day. It may be that you just need to try it for a while and see if it breaks in. I know it will feel like it won't but one day it just felt good to me. I have had several different brands of motorcycles and the only seat that I could NEVER get used to was the seats on a BMW. Great bikes but their seats are all about looks and nothing about comfort. I have had Mustang and Corbin seats on other bikes and the Mustang seem to be the best fit for me. I never got used to the Corbin, it was like sitting on a concrete slab and it never broke in . But that is just my experience, your opinion may vary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys,

I bought a 2018 Goldwing Tour a couple weeks ago and the Wife and I rode about 5 hours Saturday and the seat is awful!
We left out and rode 2 hours nonstop to a common point We ride to often and We were both in pain.

Anyway what are the best custom 'Heated" seats available that connect to the bikes controller for the heat?

The Mustang seat with riders backrest and passenger backrest look great but is it comfortable?
It's expensive $1679.

What about those of You that have done the Wingsoft upgrade to your stock seat is it much more comfortable?

Any help and or suggestions is appreciated!

thanks,
Hwilks
I have a 2003 GL1800. After a 3500 mi trip with my wife my butt was sore for 2 mo with the stock seat. I upgraded to an Ultimate. Now I feel like I could ride forever. The secret is in the added thigh support and 1st class materials. It cost me about $850 8 years ago.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I had the wing soft upgrade coupled with a Utopia backrest with the quick release, and I have to say, that is a pretty good combination,.... at least for me (and my wife).
Recently I bought a Hartco because I got a deal on it so I now have my Utopia in the “for sale” forum if anybody needs one.

IMG_3126.JPG 20200219_074023[7050].jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
This question has been asked dozens of times. There is a search function on the forum.

You will find passionate:

Russel Day Long fans
Ultimate fans (tall boy for me)
Corbin fans
Wingsoft fans
Diamond seat fans
Mustang seat fans
Air hawk, bead rider, sheep skin, walmart pad fans.

Me? Had a RDL on a three previous bikes including my 06. Great seat.

Had a Ultimate king on my 2001. Great seat.

Had a wingsoft conversion on my 03. Good seat alternation for the money.

Had a RDL built for the previous owner of my 2018. Built for a smaller person then me. Im tall and heavy. Traded it for an Ultimate tall boy and am very happy.

If I was buying a new seat it would be RDL provided you are OK with the wait times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
All these seats are nice, my stock seat is just fine. Have 2020 goldwing tour with 5k.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
Soft gel pad. The soft gel pad has air pockets and is very comfortable. I have come to the point that I don't think there is a perfect seat.
I'm just curious why you didn't contact Russell about your discomfort and give them the chance to adjust the seat to fit you better being that Russell has a money back comfort guarantee...obviously there is something not right about the seat and its suppose to fit you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did send it back to them once at a $100 pop in shipping. However, they didn't address the issue of the seat being too firm which I mentioned to them. So rather than spending another $100 I just gave up. To be honest I don't think they can make it any softer. I am 5'9" and 152 lbs. I don't think I have enough weight to soften it up. So I just use the gel pad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 on Seth Laam. Did a ride in with my wife for our 2012 and he made us both happy. Biggest change was putting more weight on my thighs, sliding me back a 1/2" or so to change the lean angle and take the weight off my tailbone. Gave her more padding and dished the seat a little so she doesn't slide around.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ride-in to Seth Laam for me too. He fits it to you (foam doesn’t need to be soft, you just need to spread your weight evenly over as much surface area as possible). I was in pain for hours heading down from Portland, OR area to his shop in NorCal; half a day hanging out on his patio while he reworked my seat and I was on my way. So much better on the way home! I can ride all day in comfort.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For any Canadian owners of 2018+ DCT Tour bikes reading this thread, forget about any seat from any of these aftermarket seat manufacturers. The Canadian DCT bikes have the "Idle Stop" function which apparently has a rider sensor in the seat as well as heat. None of these aftermarket companies support a seat for these bikes. Hopefully in the future.

Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had them all and prefer the ULTIMATE on my 2020 Wing Tour DCT and I get to keep the original seat! Just my two cents on this decade old post! I am 6’4” and 350lbs.
I also bought the Ultimate tall seat it is a great seat compared to the factory seat.I also like the looks. It keeps the factory lines of the bike.
Some of the alternatives not so much.

Before I switched seats I used a sheep skin and it helped extend my riding days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had the Wingsoft upgrade done in early December 2020. It is a drastic improvement over the stock seat. It's not perfect but bang for the buck, it's tough to beat.
I have to agree with Wingsoft upgrade. Just got mine back and spent about 5 or 6 hours on it yesterday. I usually had my FreedomAir cushion on the stock seat to make it bearable for any distance. The WingSoft is not perfect, but at least for the money it is better than the stock seat. You would think that someone at Honda Engineering would be reading these forums and noting the complaints about the seat on the new generation 'Wing and propose some improvements.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts