GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Like many on these boards I have a non-working heating system on my 2008 GL1800 (VII A). The grips and seats are all out. I have followed the trouble shooting guidelines in the manual 馃憤 and I am at the end of the guidelines (and my rope). 馃槚 The manual says "Replace the heater control unit with a new known-good one and recheck". My problem is finding a known good one. Local service/dealers are not helpful. Even from the factory I cannot be certain the part is good. (STUFF 馃挬 HAPPENS!) So is there anyone out there that lives near Sacramento CA that has a known good unit that I can plug into my bike? 馃檮

Registered
bummer, I can鈥檛 help with the need for test component but wonder about doing resistance tests on the heater elements to confirm that they are still good. Good luck.

Registered
Well Sir,
I just went through the same EXACT situation as you, ALSO on an '08 Level II Wing. I always get confused on the V, VII, VIII stuff. I'm used to the old descriptions, level I, Level II, Level III and so on. Anyway, back to the problem(s). I also did every single test, both with ohms and resistance and, with Voltage tests when the manual called for them. It is/was possible that ours was working only for some odd reason, they just weren't getting very warm. But, I was under the assumption that they (the grip and both seat heaters) weren't working.

So, I jumped into the tests with both feet. I also consulted this forum. But, as I was about to put down my first post of this problem, I found one that had already been going with predominantly the same symptoms. So, I while I couldn't read every single post in that entire thread due to the fact that it was PAGES AND PAGES long, I just did the highlights. But, I also ran across one of Fred Harmons posts on the same subject but, it was about modifying the components to achieve more heat but, with no ensuing damage to any portion of the heating system.

So, after disassembling half the bike to perform all the required tests, I too was at the end of the rope with no ill working components to show where a potential problem might be. The one and only test I did not perform, concerning the actual wiring was to check for continuity of the PINK wire from the ECM, to the HEATER CONTROL UNIT. I'd already removed that top shelter and did what I thought was all the testing needed while it was off. Since I found no bad components in that section of testing, I re-installed that shelter.

Then, I find out, I needed it off for the testing of the pink wire. Well, since 40 (maybe exaggerating a bit there) other tests have not revealed any issues, I kind-a wrote off that pink wire test, simply because of the pain to remove that top shelter. I took a chance.

Anyway, Fred's modifications are ultra simple. All it involves is the purchase of one or two, 10,000 ohm, 1/4 watt resistors. If you have an electronics store near by, that would run you about $2-3 dollars. But, I don't so, Amazon to the rescue. I had to buy a pack of 100 for $8.00. Big deal. Anyway, I followed Fred's instructions on the installation of the resistor(s) to the letter. It's so simple, a "Caveman" can do it. Ha ha ha. Anyway, all that's involved is, you cut the green wire with black stripe on the bike side of the seat plug. Then, install one of the resistors in that wire.

Now, that's primarily for ONE of the seat heaters. There are TWO green/black wires on that plug. The center one is for the driver. The lower one on the bottom row outer, is for the passenger. That's why you purchase TWO resistors, one for each heater, if you want to do two. Otherwise, if it's only you, as the driver, then one resistor is all that's needed. But, if this alteration was gonna be done, I wanted results for me, as well as for the wife. So, I did the two resistor install. I figured, even if this does not help my seat heater condition, no biggie 'cause the cost is pretty much nothing. And the labor was also nothing but a tiny bit of soldering.

So, I buttoned the bike up and, we went for a ride. The outside temp was right at 65 degrees. The wife notified me that, within about 1/2 to 1 mile from departure of our home, she could feel the seat heating up. YAHOOOOOO. Mine was off at the time. She was saying as we kept riding, it's getting warmer and warmer, again, YAHOOOOO!! I thought at that time, well, what the heck, let's try mine too. I turned it on and, within about a mile, I too could feel my butt getting warm. By that time, we'd entered our destination of a dinner get together and we shut the bike down.

So, at this time, based on the fact that, my tests revealed pretty much nothing wrong, the modifications were WELL WORTH it. Both seat heaters reacted considerably faster and, from our short ride so far, it appears they're both gonna heat to a bit more temp then they ever did. We don't have a ton of cold days here in the southern part of Arizona so, heated seats and grips are used rarely. But, if and when I want them, THEY BETTER WORK! So, this is my story. I don't know if it helps you or not but, it worked for me.
Scott

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
GLBlinded: The trouble shooting guide had me test the front and rear thermistors. They were all out of spec. Then the guidelines had me jump pins in thew relay, then test the voltage to each heating unit. Voltage was normal. Guidelines next had me test the relay (again). Anyway I ended up at a point where I either need a new HCU or an new ECM. The wiring diagram in the manual has wire colors at the 10P connector that don't match what I see on the seat itself. I am not sure which wires go to which heater.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Well Sir,
I just went through the same EXACE situation as you, ALSO on an '08 Level II Wing. I always get confused on the V, VII, VIII stuff. I'm used to the old descriptions, level I, Level II, Level III and so on. Anyway, back to the problem(s). I also did every single test, both with ohms and resistance and, with Voltage tests when the manual called for them. It is/was possible that ours was working only for some odd reason, they just weren't getting very warm. But, I was under the assumption that they (the grip and both seat heaters) weren't working.

So, I jumped into the tests with both feet. I also consulted this forum. But, as I was about to put down my first post of this problem, I found one that had already been going with predominantly the same symptoms. So, I while I couldn't read every single post in that entire thread due to the fact that it was PAGES AND PAGES long, I just did the highlights. But, I also ran across one of Fred Harmons posts on the same subject but, it was about modifying the components to achieve more heat but, with no ensuing damage to any portion of the heating system.

So, after disassembling half the bike to perform all the required tests, I too was at the end of the rope with no ill working components to show where a potential problem might be. The one and only test I did not perform, concerning the actual wiring was to check for continuity of the PINK wire from the ECM, to the HEATER CONTROL UNIT. I'd already removed that top shelter and did what I thought was all the testing needed while it was off. Since I found no bad components in that section of testing, I re-installed that shelter.

Then, I find out, I needed it off for the testing of the pink wire. Well, since 40 (maybe exaggerating a bit there) other tests have not revealed any issues, I kind-a wrote off that pink wire test, simply because of the pain to remove that top shelter. I took a chance.

Anyway, Fred's modifications are ultra simple. All it involves is the purchase of one or two, 10,000 ohm, 1/4 watt resistors. If you have an electronics store near by, that would run you about $2-3 dollars. But, I don't so, Amazon to the rescue. I had to buy a pack of 100 for $8.00. Big deal. Anyway, I followed Fred's instructions on the installation of the resistor(s) to the letter. It's so simple, a "Caveman" can do it. Ha ha ha. Anyway, all that's involved is, you cut the green wire with black stripe on the bike side of the seat plug. Then, install one of the resistors in that wire.

Now, that's primarily for ONE of the seat heaters. There are TWO green/black wires on that plug. The center one is for the driver. The lower one on the bottom row outer, is for the passenger. That's why you purchase TWO resistors, one for each heater, if you want to do two. Otherwise, if it's only you, as the driver, then one resistor is all that's needed. But, if this alteration was gonna be done, I wanted results for me, as well as for the wife. So, I did the two resistor install. I figured, even if this does not help my seat heater condition, no biggie 'cause the cost is pretty much nothing. And the labor was also nothing but a tiny bit of soldering.

So, I buttoned the bike up and, we went for a ride. The outside temp was right at 65 degrees. The wife notified me that, within about 1/2 to 1 mile from departure of our home, she could feel the seat heating up. YAHOOOOOO. Mine was off at the time. She was saying as we kept riding, it's getting warmer and warmer, again, YAHOOOOO!! I thought at that time, well, what the heck, let's try mine too. I turned it on and, within about a mile, I too could feel my butt getting warm. By that time, we'd entered our destination of a dinner get together and we shut the bike down.

So, at this time, based on the fact that, my tests revealed pretty much nothing wrong, the modifications were WELL WORTH it. Both seat heaters reacted considerably faster and, from our short ride so far, it appears they're both gonna heat to a bit more temp then they ever did. We don't have a ton of cold days here in the southern part of Arizona so, heated seats and grips are used rarely. But, if and when I want them, THEY BETTER WORK! So, this is my story. I don't know if it helps you or not but, it worked for me.
Scott
Thanks Fire Up. If I get anything to function again, I will definitely consider adding some more heat to my butt.

Registered
Like many on these boards I have a non-working heating system on my 2008 GL1800 (VII A). The grips and seats are all out. I have followed the trouble shooting guidelines in the manual 馃憤 and I am at the end of the guidelines (and my rope). 馃槚 The manual says "Replace the heater control unit with a new known-good one and recheck". My problem is finding a known good one. Local service/dealers are not helpful. Even from the factory I cannot be certain the part is good. (STUFF 馃挬 HAPPENS!) So is there anyone out there that lives near Sacramento CA that has a known good unit that I can plug into my bike? 馃檮
First thing you need to do is try only the seat or only the grips with the bike running. Turn off grips and both seat controls,start bike and turn "on" only the grips and wait about 5 minutes to feel if the grips do heat up.If they don't, turn off bike, turn off the grips, turn on drivers seat heat to max and start bike. allow to run about 10 minutes feel if the seat gets warm. Repeat this test for only the rear seat heat doing the same sequence as for the front. RE-post test after you have done this.
Billy

Vendor
Only a GL1800 specialty repair shop will have all the stuff needed to test that system. I have "known good" grips, seat, seat back, switches, and a known good control unit. It's taken me years to acquire all that stuff.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I am still baffled. While waiting on parts I did some checking on the resistances in the system components. I tested the switches, seat(s) grips and backrest. Not all the numbers are exactly what the manual says they should be. But if I had to guess at the culprit, I am going to say that it is one of the front seat thermistors. That one was ~2X the rest of the seat readings, but still not an open circuit. The switches themselves also gave interesting results: only the rear seat switch was near what the manual indicates. I attached a table with my results. Please take a look and see if you see any probably causes for all the heating components to stop functioning. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

Registered
More throttle,
May I ask, are you using the trouble shooting guide from the ETM in the back of the Service Manual? I only ask because, like I stated earlier, I too am having seat/grip heating issues, also on an '08. And when I was doing some of my checks, specifically the resistance ones on one of the seat plugs or bike side ones, I forgot, I too was getting some readings that were WAY off of what I was supposed to be getting. I did it several times to make sure I was doing all of the checks, on the correct wires, correctly.

And then, I found out, I had TWO PAGES IN THAT ETM MANUAL, that were the exact same only one of them was a REVISION. I was comparing my readings to the INCORRECTLY PRINTED readings in the manual. I turned the page on that manual and found, "What's this, an exact same page?" But, in the lower corner of that second page was "Revision". Everything was the exact same on the second page except, THE RESISTANCE FIGURES. Those were the EXACT ones I was getting!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about that?

Now, I don't know if you're up against the same situation but, I thought I'd throw this at ya just to be sure you're seeing the correct readings IN THE MANUAL. I've had my full service manual and the ETM now for several years and, I'm not sure that when I purchased it, it may have had revision pages with it and, I just installed them and forgot about it. I can't remember that far back. So, again, just make sure you're reading the most up-to-date version of your test readings. Good luck. Following.
Scott

Registered
I have similar resistance readings on the front seat thermistors of my 鈥14. The seat heater will work well on any settting for about 10 minutes. I鈥檝e noticed that if I use either of the two highest settings on that seat, it will shut the whole heating system off after about 10 minutes. Once it shuts off, the only way to get it back again is to turn the key off.

I have an extended warranty on my bike, but haven鈥檛 taken it to the dealer yet and none of them will just order the seat based on my diagnostics - they鈥檙e requiring me to leave the bike while they diagnose / order parts / perform repair. That鈥檚 the main reason I haven鈥檛 had it fixed yet.

Based on your measurements, I鈥檓 betting the issue is your seat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
More throttle,
May I ask, are you using the trouble shooting guide from the ETM in the back of the Service Manual? I only ask because, like I stated earlier, I too am having seat/grip heating issues, also on an '08. And when I was doing some of my checks, specifically the resistance ones on one of the seat plugs or bike side ones, I forgot, I too was getting some readings that were WAY off of what I was supposed to be getting. I did it several times to make sure I was doing all of the checks, on the correct wires, correctly.

And then, I found out, I had TWO PAGES IN THAT ETM MANUAL, that were the exact same only one of them was a REVISION. I was comparing my readings to the INCORRECTLY PRINTED readings in the manual. I turned the page on that manual and found, "What's this, an exact same page?" But, in the lower corner of that second page was "Revision". Everything was the exact same on the second page except, THE RESISTANCE FIGURES. Those were the EXACT ones I was getting!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about that?

Now, I don't know if you're up against the same situation but, I thought I'd throw this at ya just to be sure you're seeing the correct readings IN THE MANUAL. I've had my full service manual and the ETM now for several years and, I'm not sure that when I purchased it, it may have had revision pages with it and, I just installed them and forgot about it. I can't remember that far back. So, again, just make sure you're reading the most up-to-date version of your test readings. Good luck. Following.
Scott
Fire up,
I am indeed using the shop manual ETM. Specifically pages 21-76 thru 21-83. (This info is replicated in another part of the manual too) Pages 21-80 thru 21-83 address the malfunction of one of the components, as opposed to all of the components. In any case I don't have pages noted as "revision" Would you be willing to shoot me the numbers in the revised pages? A quick picture of the page(s) would be very helpful.
Thank You

MT

Registered
Hey MT,
I'll do one better. At present, I'm only aware of the revised ETM page, 17-12. There's about 1,500 pages in those two darn manuals so, trying to find other revised pages could take me awhile. One of these days. Anyway, here's some photos that may or, may not be of value to you. See what you think. You may already have a revised manual but, it's more up to date and was printed AFTER any revisions had already been established.
Scott

P.S. Sorry for the wrinkled up page, it was in the trash can since I thought it was of no value to me.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Fire Up, Bingo! Thanks for those pages. That makes me feel a whole bunch better about the switches Now I can focus on the thermistors in the seat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I am now thinking that I could trick the electronics into thinking everything is OK if put a 70-75 ohm resistor in the circuit that has the high reading on the front thermistor. Basically a jumper wire with a resistor in it to bypass that 144 ohm thermistor. Anyone have any thoughts on that idea?

Registered
More Throttle,
You're welcome. As far as your experiment is concerned, you're over my pay grade. I'd contact Fred Harmon directly on that. He's the guru that's messed with tricking some of the heater components to make them think they're not who they are. Good luck and, please post what your results are.
Scott

Registered
I had the exact same issue as well on my '08 a few months back. I even bought a brand new Heat Control Unit. You know what the fix was though? My seat. My less than a yr old Ultimate Seat..the heating elements went out. I never really checked the seat because I never thought in a million years it could be it. I was out camping with a friend and we ended up putting his stock seat on my bike and bam...heat was working again. Moral of the story..dont rule anything out. I still have that brand new Heat Control Unit though....just sitting in a bag

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
HI All, I think I have narrowed down the problem: indeed it looks like my Corbin saddle has one bad thermistor. Apparently that may be enough to shut off the entire heating system. I would like to know if anyone in the Sacramento area has the time and is willing to let me plug their saddle into my wiring harness. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts