GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me. I just put a trailer hitch on my wing and installed the Big Bike Parts Trailer Wire Harness. Pretty plug n play except for the part which plugs into the trailer.

I have 5 wires to connect to something...

My trailer has a flat 4 wire connector.

The wire outputs from the BBP cable:

Blue --> Right Turn Signal
Green --> Ground
Brown --> Running Lights
Orange --> Left Turn Signal
Red --> Break Lights

My Flat 4 wire connector:

White --> Ground
Brown --> Attach to tail
Yellow --> Attach to left turn
Green --> Attach to right turn

My guess is to connect first color BBP second, flat connector
Green to white
blue to green
brown to brown
red to brown
orange to yellow

Will somebody please help me out? Thanks.

Boatner

·
Registered
82 Posts
You need a converter from U-Haul that will convert from the bike's 5 wire system to the trailer's 4 wire system. The converter goes on the bike and comes with a flat four plug already wired in. If you do not have a U-Haul retail store near you, go to their website and order one there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
landlord said:
You need a converter from U-Haul that will convert from the bike's 5 wire system to the trailer's 4 wire system. The converter goes on the bike and comes with a flat four plug already wired in. If you do not have a U-Haul retail store near you, go to their website and order one there.

Good luck.
I agree - use a U-Haul converter. I tried those from the auto stores and had disapointing results.

·
Registered
185 Posts
13486 is the Uhaul part number that I am told will work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also just installed a Rivco trailer hitch and they also sell an isolator trailer wiring kit that is set up for 5 wires. My homemade trailer takes 4 wires. I also bought an adapter from U-haul for about $18 that got everything working. You have to have some kind of an adapter to seperate the brake from the turn signals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live close to Electrical Connection and called with my wiring problem. The adapter they have is for the wiring system they sell. They are the people that sent me to U-haul.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My father-in-law gave me his u-haul converter...

Probably, like a knothead, I goofed it up... I attached the u-haul wires to the output of my BBP output... Should I have removed the BBP and wired the u-haul directly?

Now everything works except the running lights.

What say ye?

Thanks,

-Boatner

·
Registered
221 Posts
It should work attached to the BBP isolator. If all the lights work except the running lights then it could be a defective U-Haul converter. Check to see if you have 12v on the input side of the U-Haul converter for the running lights first.

·
Registered
82 Posts
bhowell, you wired it correctly. You need the BBP to isolate the wiring and tap into the bike's wiring. Then you need the U-Haul converter to convert to the trailer's 4 wire system. Take a test light and start at the BBP harness testing for power for the running lights. Work your way back to the trailer until you find the problem. Sounds to me like a bad connection somewhere.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts