GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved my 3 500-c yesterday.Last one the Mp3 player stopped.Got the new one last night and downloaded the Nav 1.7 update into it.Everything went fine.
When I turned the unit back on,all the buttons on the left stay on and the screen is dark.I barely make out the screen,it is showing it' position.But the light on all the buttons are on and the screendark,any ideas? Thanks...;Ray

·
Registered
118 Posts
Calling on Monday

This will be my third also, just got back from Rally in the Valley and on the way home it went blank, all the lights are on but you cant even turn it off with the switchs. I had just updated also on Wed. Sure hope it is under warranty as I do like the size. However I dont think I like the new updates. Maybe it just that it is new
Gator

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,glad someone else's did the same,thought I had downloaded the update wrong,but went by the book,just my luck.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
gad, how does this company stay in business? or are there thousands of iway customers out there who DIDN'T have to send there units back time and again?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm one of the thousands that hasn't had to send my iWAY 500C back. In fact it has been problem free and I love it! :D

Bill

·
Registered
405 Posts
have you tried to press the power button quickly? That is how you adjust the screen brightness, or go into screen settings and make sure the brightness bar is all the way over.

Steve

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am one of those who has had an Iway 500C for about almost 2 years and have had no troubles with it even after upgrades. I cannot imagine being without it.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Just keep sending it back. Eventually you will get a good one.

I'm on my third and it's working OK. I wish you well.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Just buy a Garmin unit and BE DONE with it !!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The Garmin's break, too.

David M.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Love my I way also

I too love my Iway , just wish that he would be better made.
What does everyone think about the new updates. I notice that it is showing marine stat's. I did not take the time before my trip to see if they could be disabled anyone else notice this . Thanks for the input
Gator

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Unlike the Garmin units, you have the ability to chose which data is displayed on your map. Go to the 'Map Categories Drawn' and de-select the features you don't need at that time.

When/if you're in off-road mode, the display choices change - the upgrade has given us a lot more functionality (if you want it).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lowrance service department

Ok , so the 500c is not working, I call today and spoke with a very helpful young lady. We tried a soft reset then a hard one but nothing seemed to bring it back to life. After that she stated that she would send me a FedEx RMA to pick it up and send me another one. Ok its a mechanical instrument and things go wrong But to pay for shipping I think that is going the full distance for customers
Just my two cents
Gator

·
Registered
87 Posts
David M. said:
The Garmin's break, too.
Yes. Every company that makes a product deals with DOAs and product warranty issues. It's almost comical now to see how many times people have to get a replacement iWay. It's really sad how many threads there are about multiple returns on the iWay units. It's almost become "when" and not "if" a unit will need to be returned.

I really like the features of the iWay, but man I wish they would get the bugs worked out.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
dansgl1800 said:
David M. said:
The Garmin's break, too.
Yes. Every company that makes a product deals with DOAs and product warranty issues. It's almost comical now to see how many times people have to get a replacement iWay. It's really sad how many threads there are about multiple returns on the iWay units. It's almost become "when" and not "if" a unit will need to be returned.

I really like the features of the iWay, but man I wish they would get the bugs worked out.
:roll:

·
Registered
341 Posts
1 Year anniversary coming up.

My iWay is just about 1 year old, up graded 3 times and runs perfect! I switch between the Wing and the cage. I will say, it will shut it self down if it gets too hot. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
I too will say that my Iway is almost a year old and with all the updates has been working flawlessly. It spends 10 hours a day in my cage when I'm working and however many hours I use it when I'm on the 'Wing. Very pleased with it!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Nimo said:
....It spends 10 hours a day in my cage when I'm working and however many hours I use it when I'm on the 'Wing. Very pleased with it!
Do you realize that you can display the number of hours used as a data overlay item if you want?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Skins

When I get my Iway back I would like to install the skins, however looking at the instructions I am not sure it is something I should undertake. Question
Has anyone else done this and did it work out ok for you
Thanks for the info
Gator

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Installing the skins is almost the easiest thing you'll do with the unit. Not knowing which skins you want to install, I'll assume you'll try mine, but the process applies to all of them.

First of all, download the skin file components to your PC. For example, if you click here, you'll be able to download my skin files in a compressed (zipped) format.

Assuming you're using Windows XP and Internet Explorer, you should get a windows 'Save File' dialog box - choose 'Save' and you'll get an explorer window that lets you choose your file location - browse to your desired location and make a new folder if you don't have one saved on your computer for skins (click the icon at the top of the save dialog window with a little star next to the folder to create a new folder and name it 'Skins') and then click 'Open' and then 'Save'.

You'll get a progress bar that will run for a few seconds on a fast connection and then the window will close when it's done. The zip file is now saved to your computer.

If you open the folder containing the zip file and click the folder, you'll see a link on the left side of the window that says 'extract all files', accept the default extraction location and when the program is done, click OK on the window that says 'show the files'. You should see two folders there 'J&A-Day' and 'J&A-Night'.

Connect your GPS to your PC and turn it on. When the dialog box opens, choose 'Windows Explorer' as the program to use to view the data on the iWay drive.

On a stock GPS, you should see two folders: 'Sample Music' and 'Skins'. Click in the window where the new skins are located, hold down the 'Ctrl' key and click on both skin files to select them - press 'Ctrl-C' to copy them to the clipboard (or right-click one and choose 'Copy').

Click on the 'Skins' folder on the iWay drive to select it and press 'Ctrl-V' (or right-click the folder and choose 'Paste') to paste them into the iWay
skins folder.

Press the iWay's 'Menu' button three times to get to the 'Screen Setup' menu. Select the skin name in the LH corner and the drop-down window will open listing all the skin files that are installed on it now. Choose the skin you want to use and it will load immediately.

If there is a problem with the skin files' programming, the unit will return to using the 'Default' skin.

Good luck - the process is really a computer-use issue, not a GPS issue and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts