GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right fork started leaking oil and upon taking it apart I found this piece of metal in the oil. 2008 Goldwing with 51000 miles. This is the first time it was taken apart.
Any one have an idea of what it could be part of?

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
How far did you take it apart? Other fork has to have a part that is whole.??? Weird, I would want to tear them down completely now. You have enough miles that checking the bushings wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the last thing that came out of the lower tube. I was trying to get the remaining stinky (technical term) oil out, bumping it on a rubber pad on my bench when it came out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It was the last thing that came out of the lower tube. I was trying to get the remaining stinky (technical term) oil out, bumping it on a rubber pad on my bench when it came out.
I've smelled that Technical term before on some long over due fork oil changes!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would guess by diameter it may be a part of the fork bushing. If you completely disassembled the fork, there has to be something with that piece missing. Failing that, it may have been left behind from a previous service.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It does not look like a piece of broken bushing to me. I don't recognize it from any of the "OEM guts" that come out during Traxxion cartridge installation. It almost looks like it may be a piece of "fork seal fixer" that is intended to slip down between seal and tube to dislodged dirt particles and re-orient the seal "squeegee" to stop leaks. That is as close as I can come to a guess short of "it was hiding in the oil pan before work began on the shocks".

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks to all for the help. I have completed the seal replacement and new oil (less stinky). The part in question was left out. I'm going to blame the assembly guys back in 2008.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
I've had literally hundreds of forks apart and the only thing I could think of might be some of the internal valve parts or shim stack from the damper cartridge, but it does not look like any of them. My best guess is it was something left in there when manufactured.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts