GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

First some background... my bike is a 2005 with ABS and CD Changer. I had two winter projects, one was to install lighted trunk & saddlebag moldings... the second project was to mount a ZUMO 450 on the clutch reservoir, which I wired to the accessory terminals in the fuse box. I also added a 6 foot cable for the speaker connections from the ZUMO to the connector under the left fairing pocket. Both projects seemed to go OK.

Since I had part of the bike disassembled anyway, after the ZUMO 450 project I removed the top shelf looking for something I dropped (never did find it). And while I can't be positive, I believe the audio system was working prior to and after the ZUMO installation. But, when I removed then replaced the top shelf, the audio system was stuck on AUX... and none of the audio controls worked except for the Volume and the Mode. To further confuse me, the Volume control on the handle bar doesn't work. So, I am essentially stuck in AUX mode which, by the way, plays my ZUMO mp3 files just fine.

I've made sure the two audio plugs under the top shelf are seated and I've checked the appropriate fuses... they are OK. Since I did the lighting project first, I pulled the fuses for the rear lights and brakes just to see if that might affect the audio system... it had no effect at all on the audio system (so I assume my lighting project was OK).

So, I'm basically at a point where I don't know what to check next (I hate to have to take to the Honda dealer for a fix).

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check next? :confused:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
A couple of thoughts. It is possible that the aux button is stuck. This happens frequently with the radio controls on the top shelter. It is hard to see if it is stuck, but I would try pushing it several times and from side to side. I have had one of those buttons stick and it locked up the radio.
The other idea is, I assume you ran the wires for the Zumo inside the handle bar. It is possible to pinch wires in that harness as it barely fits. This has happened to people when they remove the cover and reinstall. That could be the problem with the volume control.
What happens if you disconnect the Zumo?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Quite often a small piece of dirt will get lodged between the buttons and where they come thru the shelter and can cause all sorts of weird problems like yours. Try blowing around the buttons with compressed air and if not available clean around them with a toothpick.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Don't limit yourself to just the Aux button. If any button on the radio or handlebars gets stuck, it will cause all button to be dead.

I am suspecting it was your re-assmbly that caused it however. You probably didn't get one of the connectors plugged all the way back into the radio. Either that, or one of the pins popped out of a connector.

Radio problems are by far the most common complaint here after people have had the top shelter off, and it always ends up being a connector problem of some kind.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update... I did try and run the ZUMO wires in the left handlebar but gave up trying to force fit the wires. Also, I just put the top shelf back on and now the audio system is totally non-responsive and it's not stuck on AUX nor it is "on". I tried the toothpick and the compressed air suggestion... no effect on the audio system.

I did notice that all the pins were in place but the right connector had two slots that looked like the innards are gone... don't know if that is normal or not.

Unless someone has another suggestion, it looks like I'm off to the Honda dealer!
:-(

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I did a zumo 550 install a couple of weeks ago. When you say top shelf, do you mean the top shelter? I was able to do the entire installation by removing the top meter panel and the left pocket. Since your bike is a few years old, and you've never used the aux button, I think it is quite likely that it is sticking or jammed. I've read in wingworld that silicone spray is a good method of releasing a jammed or stuck button or switch. Lately the honda dealer told me that Honda is cautioning against using silicone spray on the switches. ( when I asked them what should you use? They said nothing, just attempt to work them back and forth until they free up) You could give that a try. I'd try it on all the radio buttons because you don't really know which one is stuck.

One other possiblity, and you may have covered it already, pull the radio connectors again, and check for displaced (shoved down and out) wires out of the connectors.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
How about if you take the cover off of the bars again. With the radio on jiggle the harness around and see if anything happens to the radio. There are several electrical magicians here and maybe they will see your post over the weekend. Do you really want to go to the dealer and have them fix your work? Hang in there, someone around here will have a fix.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Top Shelf

:roll: I had my top shelf off today installing a Kisan Pathblazer, a Tailblazer, a new Tulsa Windshield. Checked many things putting it back together, but not the radio - rats! Have to check that in the morning.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm thinking the two big plugs at the radio connection under the shelter they may be seated ok but unplug them and plug them in again you need to hear a positive CLICK or it may not be a good connection
just one more check I've had this happen

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately, after trying everyone's suggestions the audio system still didn't work. So, I put the bike back together to take it to my local Honda shop. When I was installing the seat, I noticed the passenger CB button was depressed (the ratchet presses against it when removing the rear bolt on the seat)... I reset the button and the audio system started working again... go figure!

Thanks everyone for your input... and once again, it shows what a great message board this is for Goldwingers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts