GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got my wing totally disassembled for the frame weld (goes in Fri). Figured it was a good time to change the rear tire too, especially since it now looked like a racing slick! Soooo...I crawl under the rear and, as I am removing the lug nuts, I notice one nut is 1/4" further out than the rest and sitting at an angle. Sure enough, it was cross threaded. I managed to get the nut off but the stud is pretty badly damaged. So, after going through my service manual, I am turning to the best source of information - this board!! These are my questions...

Does the wing ship with the rear tire installed or does the dealer do it at prep? I bought my wing new and this is the first tire change. Sooo, either mother Honda sent it cross threaded or the dealer did it.

Are the studs easily replacable? The manual shows them attached to the final gear assembly and does not describe how to replace them. Taking the ring apart does not seem to be an option - too involved. Are they threaded in from the front or pressed in from the rear like a car?

Re-threading is possible...maybe...anyone know the size/pitch?

Obviously this should be a warranty issue...however, I would prefer to do as much of this as I can myself (a cross threaded lug nut is evidence enough of dealer quality work). I believe they would give me the stud/nut and happily let me do the work...which would make me happy too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
990 Posts
From what information I can get from the parts manuel, that is a stud that is threaded on both sides. So it is screwed into the "hub". The diameter of the stud is 12mm and it is 46mm long. Usually a 12mm stud has a pitch of 1.25. I hope this helps. If I'm wrong I'm sure there will be someone soon to correct me.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Help with stripped wheel lug

The wheel was put on at the factory. If it has never been removed it is a warranty item. You have several choices, take it back to the dealer, obtain the correct die nut and try to clean the threads up, or replace the stud. With all the trike conversions running around, it is fairly easy to procure a complete rear end assembly for pennies on the dollar. If you are correct in that you have never removed the wheel, put the problem back in the dealer's hands.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
01, 100,000 miles

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Way back when I was an auto mech I used a set of "Thread chasers" I bought from Snap-on, these were for the exact problem you have - cross threaded lugs. I had to use these several times on different makes of vehicles with fantastic results. The other alt. is to take it back to the dealer and let them fix it under warrenty. You could also try ebay for a complete rear end assy. from a trike shop. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts