GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any of the Colorado riders who are attending RG would enjoy leading some rides.

As we have a few guests in town, I thought we'd show off our state a little bit to those who might not know where we keep all those special places we like to go to.

No pressure if you don't want to, this is your vacation too!

Lets keep the groups small as there are traffic considerations in them hills if they get too big.

Are you ready for this?

It's going to be a great time!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hmmm..that would mean I'd have to actually plan where I was going that day. It's a bit outside my comfort zone..

One thing I would say is that we should probably share some "secret roads" with one another before we do RG. We all know our favorite routes on this side of the divide, but I still feel like a newbie over there.

Here's a good example: I probably rode the north rim of the Black Canyon 4 times before I noticed the pull-out for Pioneer Point. Even then, I assumed it would be just a picnic area or something more touristy.

Now that I've been there, I consider it a "Must See" when you're in the area. I wouldn't even consider leading a ride on that road without stopping there. Even if my group consists of people with a paralyzing fear of heights! :) (Special apologies to my previous victims)

Are there other nuggets like this that we should be sharing? Like "Never speed in Rico or Alma", or "avoid needing gas in Aspen"....
For instance, I have my favorite 2 or 3 stops along Grand Mesa road that I like to stop for pictures...but maybe there are better ones. Maybe there's a dead end "out 'n back" road off the main drive that I've been missing?

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm..that would mean I'd have to actually plan where I was going that day.
I don't know why....

That's never stopped me!

I kind of a fly by the seat of your pants planner...

Once in a great while it actually works out!

I would suspect that if you've been down any of these roads once or twice that you will have been down them more times than the folks who will be coming out.

Take a look at the main thread to see some of the one way in, one way out kind of roads:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269514&page=9

PingJockey posted a nice one going up to Trout lake that I'm going to check out, along with any poor soul brave enough to follow me.

Don't forget the hanging flume on 141, then there is the fountain of youth there at one of the pull outs too.

Box canyon falls in Ouray is worth a stop as is treasure falls and North clear creek falls outside of Lake City.

If every Colorado rider picks up 2 or 3 folks from out of town we'd have a good group of tours going.

Thanks Dr.2, I may just go on one of your tours!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Gawd, I'm jealous of you guys. Wish I had the vacation days to join all of you.

·
Registered
931 Posts
PODO:
I don't know why....

That's never stopped me!

AND we are glad...introduced us to some great guided rides to some double secret places.
We are going to spend Tuesday night at Limon, any recommendations on a motel?

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PODO:
I don't know why....

That's never stopped me!

AND we are glad...introduced us to some great guided rides to some double secret places.
We are going to spend Tuesday night at Limon, any recommendations on a motel?
Limon is only 3 hours from Denver, so we've never had the pleasure of staying there.

If we were home we'd put you up for the night.

You'd be more than welcome to stop by but you'll have to fight the dogs for bed space...

So....
You going to step up and lead a ride or 3?

Thanks!!

Since you've never been in the area it ought to turn out like one of my rides!

Completely lost and wandering aimlessly without food.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've got the same trouble here. Limon is only 90 minutes from Colorado Springs, so I've never had the pleasure of staying there. ...and I won't be home on Tuesday either. You know, locals are always the worst sources of information regarding hotels.

I've had breakfast a few times at Ruby's Diner downtown Limon...which I can recommend. It's where the locals go... about a block off main street so most travelers don't even know it exists.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ruby's Diner it is then. Looks like plenty of choices in motels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts