GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering :roll:
Just got my first trailer and now i need a hitch to pull it. The trailer is a homemade type (small flatbed with a car top carrier) I have an 03 1800 ABS. I am going to pull maybe 30% of the time. Rest of the time is 1 up riding so no need for the trailer. I don't know that i really want the hitch ball or hitch showing all the time. I saw one brand that the hitch goes into where the rear reflector is so it is hidden.
I guess i just want some opinions from the mighty GL1800Riders. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was looking but they (Bushtec) have several models economy,standard and deluxe.
Also is a special trailer wireing hookup needed or anything else special because i have ABS?

·
Registered
228 Posts
You will need the Electronic Relay Isolator Package. I think the standard has a plug and play wiring harness. You should call John he can fix you up.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I bought the Bushtec Deluxe and everything was there that I needed. Just install and wire. That was all there was to it. Took about 3 hours. It is a great hitch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bushtec

I too went with the Bushtec on my 04.
I had "fun" with the wiring.
The Bushtec wiring isolator has 5 wires and most homemade trailers are wired for a flat 4 wire plug. I tired 5 to 4 wire converters but they would not work with the isolator.
I ended up adding an extra set of brake lights to the trailer so I have seperate signal and brake lights.
mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bushtec is not the only hitch out there. They will all do the job. Dauntless is another one which a lot of 1800 owners have. However, as AL2000 said above, the Bushtec attaches to the frame differently. Whether that makes a hill-of-beans difference, or not, I couldn't tell you because I'm not an engineer. That said, I have the Bushtec and am happy with it. I bought the economy model from them and a plug-and-play relay isolator harness from Electricial Connection. I saved a few bucks that way. Correction: There is one difference between the Bushtec and the Dauntless. To change the rear tire I have to put the bike on a lift. The Daunltess owners can still pull the tire out the back by removing the cross member.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I bought a Rivco hitch. It's all aluminum, very light weight (~8 pounds), the tongue unpins and the opening is hidden with the reflector. If I remember right, the electrical plug and isolater came with the hitch. The tongue is chromed, comes in a 3 inch (I think) drop, complete with the ball. It's a quality unit, backed up by a quality company.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I too went with the Rivco hitch because of the light weight. BUT it is also a VERY strong hitch.
3 in drop and also the electrical isolator kit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Trailer hitch

I went with BUSCHTEC its by far the best in the way it attaches to the frame. When your done pull the pin and set the reciver in the garage where you put most of your MTcycle parts. nothing to show its there. :lol:
roger/orangestreak

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have put 7000 miles on a Dauntless hitch with no problems.....cost around 250.00 to 280.00 if I remember correctly.
Joe

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
HELP!! Which Trailer Hitch Should I get?

I have about 30,000 miles on the Dauntless hitch. I purchased this hitch solely because of the removable rear section. Bushtec now has the same option, and different levels of their hitch. They did not have these options when I purchased this hitch. I do not have ABS, and I do not run an isolator. I have the Escapade Elite, and my wife and I are very pleased with our trailer and hitch.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
01, 100,000 miles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts