GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 1999 gl1500 and shifting was always more sensitive, especially from third to fourth, than other bikes I've had but after a bit I could click through the gears very smoothly. I just upgraded to a 2016 and the only issue im having is shifting to fifth. I can't seem to get a single click shift unless I'm under 45. I could shift my 1500 to fifth with one click anywhere from 35 to 80. It didn't matter. This bike is smooth in all gears accept going to fifth is notchy. Any tips or explanation why it's different and I'll be eternally grateful!

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts
Hello. I have a 1999 gl1500 and shifting was always more sensitive, especially from third to fourth, than other bikes I've had but after a bit I could click through the gears very smoothly. I just upgraded to a 2016 and the only issue im having is shifting to fifth. I can't seem to get a single click shift unless I'm under 45. I could shift my 1500 to fifth with one click anywhere from 35 to 80. It didn't matter. This bike is smooth in all gears accept going to fifth is notchy. Any tips or explanation why it's different and I'll be eternally grateful!
You might be experiencing dog collision which is normal. Be sure your clutch fluid has no air, and it's been changed in the 12,000 or 2 years whichever come first. Also, in your Owner's Manual it will tell you how to adjust your clutch lever ... Owner's Manual > index > clutch system > clutch lever adjustment

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I agree that's definitely what it is. You said that's normal for the 1800s?I never felt them going to fifth on the 1500. Would sure rather match them up better if there's a way to do it? The higher speed I shift at the worse it gets. I've tried letting the throttle come down more but seems inconsistent whether I get a click shift or feel the dog's going together

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I had the same issue with my new 17 and had never had that issue with any of the 8 previous 1800’s. I thought that odd since improvements had been made to the gears and transmission. I realized after a short while that it only happened when I made a lazy slow sloppy shift. With a quick positive shift it never happens. Manual transmissions tend to each have their own little quirks, so that may not be your issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no question im not the fastest or most coordinated shifter. I understand that on the 1500s fourth and fifth were on the same transmission shaft and on the 1800s they're on different shafts? Im guessing that's why I'm seeing the difference so how do I match up those shafts to shift smooth into fifth? You can't hear the engine and the throttle barely moves and it's at idle once the clutch is in. Is it possible fourth isn't releasing quite in time when fifth is engaging? I admit im having trouble feeling when the bike is unloaded. Even with the suspension turned down to 0 it doesn't move. My 1500 floats when the suspension is at 0

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I pre-load my shift lever at the beginning of each up-shift. It sounds complicated, but becomes second nature very quickly. Before the shift, I put an upward pressure on the shift lever. When it's time to shift, I (in a coordinated fashion) reduce the throttle, pull in the clutch and complete the upward movement on the shift lever to make the shift.

Using the above, the transmission goes completely into gear each time, even into 5th, which I think it the hardest one to get in fully.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Are you super good at matching revs? The dogs need to be turning at different speeds to engage cleanly. I know this sounds odd but imagine if the dogs were running at the same speed and not aligned dog to space, they could never engage.

FWIW I've not had any issue from 4th to 5th so perhaps there is a wee problem, fingers crossed for not.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
This is where pre-loading the shift lever comes in. The shift goes in when it's ready. It really makes the whole process much easier.

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts
Also, what oil are you using ???

Trust me here ... unless a m/c transmission has undercut or backlit gears, do not pre-load the shift lever. It's fine to do that with ones that have undercut gears, and why other might suggest it, but 5th gens do not come that way.

Hopefully you'll follow the other suggestion in post #2 ... all are important and can cause what you are experiencing. Once those are followed I have one more. It's as simple as it gets, but there's no reason to share it till the others are done.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Another shifting issue can be the boots one wears. My Nephew was having problems shifting properly when he started riding. In his case, first motorcycle was a street bike. He kept asking me why he kept skipping - missing gears. Had to guess when he shifted.
As it turned out... he used to be a fireman. He was wearing his heavy fireman's boots. Had no feeling of the shifter to go by. He said his motorcycle safety instructor said he should wear heavy duty steel toe boots when riding!
I asked him.... if the instructor actually rode a motorcycle! Well... I guess that would work with a heel-toe shifter!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't tried any pre loading. I thought I was onto something but loading the engine a little more in fourth. Seemed like I got several smooth shifts in a row. Then missed one as before so I have no idea. It feels like the bike doesn't want to unload when I roll off the throttle in fourth sometimes. Not sure if that has something to do with fifth being on a different shaft in the transmission but I never have anything like this on my 1500.i guess on it going third to fourth was tricky to learn but this seems much worse. I'll keep taking advice because I need all and appreciate all the help I can get. I know it's not good to hit the dogs on the gears half the shifts into fifth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts