GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so went to check my bike out and my sensor said i had a very low rear tire. So i inspected it and found a screw in so i layed the bike over and pulled it off and now iam here at the tire dealership and thry told me that they cant fix run flat tires. This is a pretty big dealer here in florida. Anyways its still a pretty new Pirelli tire has anyone run into this problem and if so what did you do. Iam trying to stay away from plugs but if i did not sure if i would feel secure having a plug in my tire with this heat. Looking for suggestion or to a dealer who is certified to repair runflat tires even if it wasnt run flat.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I picked up a nail in the center of the tread of a Kumho run-flat. I plugged it using the sticky rope plugs and glue from Walmart. Then I run it until it was time to replace the tire. Walmart sells a kit with everything you need (less than $10 I think). If the puncture is near the side of the tread, I would plug it.

I'll admit that pushing the awl through the tire was tough, but I forced it in anyway.

If you are not comfortable with the plug, take the tire and wheel off the wing and take it to a major tire dealer and have it patched.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ive tried 2 big name tire shops and one no name and they have said because of the tire compound and so fourth that they cant fix it. So i called one other big name tire shop and they are like sure bring it by. And they are doing it free. Now iam puzzled because they are doing for free so there mighr not be any record that i was hear incase of any liability. And perhaps iam just paranoid because 3 dealerships told me no and this one was like sure. Now get this i asked him to install my 90 degree valve stem whem they did the flat and he told me sorry they dont do that. I looked at him like really 1/2 wrench loosen the nut remove old one install new one. My god i cant believe how much has changed since i was in the business. :doorag:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
4gunruner, in my area one of the big name tire dealers will mount/dismount run-flats and another (GY) will not. But another GY up the street will. I think some folks just don't want to mess with them. They are tough to mount.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mounting and dismounting is the easy part. I just tell them its a trike and there ok with that. The hard part that iam having is finding someone to do a inside patch job. But most companies are saying because of the compound in the tire or not knowing if it was ran flat they wont mess with it.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Tried to find an answer via Pirelli's website but this is all they say:

Tubeless tires: Due to the specific regulations of different national governments, we can not give a general recommendation regarding tire repair.
Please refer to your distributor for information on your country's regulations. in case you are allowed to repair a tire, we recommend that you repair only small punctures which are restricted to the tread area, by using a mushroom head type plug. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any instructions given to the user concerning the repaired tire. Repaired tubeless tires should never be used with a tube.
Tubetype tires: Tube repair is not permitted. Punctured tubetype tires must have a new tube fitted. if punctured, in addition to having the replaced, the tire and the rim have to be inspected by an expert. The puncture in the tire should be repaired by a local vulcanisation, executed by a tire repairer, so as to prevent moisture from attacking the tire casing. The repairer is solely responsible to the user for the repair and any inspection of the repaired tire.

You may have to plug it yourself or buy another.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My local Discount Tires removed a nail and patched my Kumho. That was about 10K ago and no issues at all.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I have put a plug in my RF tire and then ran it until it was wore out. I also have done this years ago with regular mc tires. I used to fix tires and I don't know of any plug failures. Seems to me someone wants to sell you a new tire. That, and there are too many darn lawyers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never had to patch a run flat but have run thousands of miles on a plug - the sticky rope kind and some of the mushroom kind as well. I do a lot of wilderness riding and there is often little choice. Despite the recommendations from the tire people, a plug has never let me down. Though I don't recommend it, I once plugged a 3/4" split near the rim with six or seven of those sticky rope things and ran for many miles back to civilization and home to then replace the tire. There were two such splits on that tire and I drove it quit a ways before I could get a formal repair. I was worried but it worked!! I have great faith in the stick rope and always carry it with me. A compoany in Peabody, MA makes a very professional heavy duty kit that can be broken down to fit in a normal tool kit size bag. I don't remember their name unfortunately. It make patching a breeze. The cheap kit's are often use once deals. They are too light for even big m/c tires.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I have put a plug in my RF tire and then ran it until it was wore out. I also have done this years ago with regular mc tires. I used to fix tires and I don't know of any plug failures. Seems to me someone wants to sell you a new tire. That, and there are too many darn lawyers.
Me too.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
4gun, I run my Hankook Ventus 10,000+ miles with a plug in it with no Problems at all!:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
BS....unless it's on the side of the tire, they can do what is needed. They just want to sell a new tire. Have it plugged well, then patched on the inside and ride it till it's worn out.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
BS....unless it's on the side of the tire, they can do what is needed. They just want to sell a new tire. Have it plugged well, then patched on the inside and ride it till it's worn out.
:agree: Patch it and wear it out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone got my tire patched for free and have it back on the bike and was on down the road. And best part i didnt cost me a dime for the repair. Im not sure why? And one only only guess a 1000 reasons why but hey i wont look a gift horse in the mouth. So thanks everyone.:thumbup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
My guess is good customer service. They'd like to see you come back when you need tires.

Thanks everyone got my tire patched for free and have it back on the bike and was on down the road. And best part i didnt cost me a dime for the repair. Im not sure why? And one only only guess a 1000 reasons why but hey i wont look a gift horse in the mouth. So thanks everyone.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
My guess is good customer service. They'd like to see you come back when you need tires.
:agree: can't beat good customer service!:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts