GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install Signal Dynamics brake light modulators on my GL 1800 Roadsmith trike kit.

The instructions say to splice into the 2 upper brake light wires, at least 6 inches below the lights themselves.

I found an online video that shows pretty clearly how to do this on a GL 1800 bike. The author of that video made the splice below the upper trunk, in the area between the 2 saddle bags. He had lots of room there to splice into the 2 separate brake light wires.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work on my trike. There isn't room - at least I don't think there is - to make the splice inside the trunk. Does anyone have any idea where these light wires go after they leave the trunk, on my trike? Has anyone added a modulator to their RS trike?

BTW, I added headlight modulators, and they are working fantastically!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have the Back Off brake module on my trike, actually was on the bike before the conversion but it is mounted next to the relay box under the seat and connected to the wires for the brakes there. If the trailer or tag along is hooked up it works through them also. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Perhaps you have the one that you have to be careful of......The Back-Off with all those wires does not have the amp rating to handle all the rear bulbs. No they do not tell you that, they let you find it out the hard way. The device melts.

Most if not all the brake modulators designed for the 1800 are mounted under the seat and tied into the brake wire that runs to the rear lights. It is the green wire with red stripe on all models and years. Now there are two pin connectors in that area both with that color wire......to insure you have the right one a tester is required.

If you wish to modulate a lighted spoiler also, then you have to separately modulate that with something like a tailblazer or put a light harness on it that changes it to both run and brake function, then the brake function will work with the modulator installed under the seat on the one wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts