GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Local Chicago area dealer quoted $900 for tires, brakes, fluids, parts and labor. Not sure that I can swallow all of this at once.

I'll admit that I am a rookie. I have the service manual, Fred's video, some tools, and a lot of inexperience. Also an interest in learning what I can do on my own and what is best left to the experts.

Anyone in the Northern Illinois area available for some hands on instruction? I am sure that we can reach some sort of agreement.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Do you guys have a dealership with a name like "Honda of Chcago" or something similiar? If so, how's their reputation? The sister dealership is where I bought mine, but the service dept. is useless, or non-existent. The price they quoted me was $300.00 for a front mounted and balanced. I did pay $52.00 for an oil change while on the road. Don't know how these compare to your quote, but both seemed a tad high to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Help with Brakes, Fluid, Tires, etc. change - Chicago ar

Freeloader said:
My Local Chicago area dealer quoted $900 for tires, brakes, fluids, parts and labor. Not sure that I can swallow all of this at once.

I'll admit that I am a rookie. I have the service manual, Fred's video, some tools, and a lot of inexperience. Also an interest in learning what I can do on my own and what is best left to the experts.

Anyone in the Northern Illinois area available for some hands on instruction? I am sure that we can reach some sort of agreement.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.
I see you are looking for help to do it yourself, but in case that does not pan out, you might want to check pricing at Des Plaines Honda in Des Plaines, Illinois. I am not sure about price but I don't think I paid anything close to $900 for my last service and new tires.

Mike

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Out here in Seattle in my local GWRRA chapter we hold an annual maintenance day and we all gather and do the necessary maintenance and help each other out. Perhaps there's someone in Chicago that you could hook up with.

Our regular maintenance day has been so successful we're planning another more specialized one this fall: Electrical Items Installation Day. No fluid changes, tire changes, just installation of satellite radios, fuse panels, CB radios, ground blocks, power plugs, etc. For those in the Seattle area, contact me directly for more information.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I personally don't like Otto Bros Honda in Lyons, or Elmhurst Honda either. I hear Des Plains honda has good service, as long as you don't let the young guys work on your bike :lol: . Bit expensive tho.

IMHO, I'm gonna try, First........

Bob-Jo Cycle Company
50w112 Old State Rd
Maple Park, IL 60151-9203
(815)895-5251
Internet Manager:
Chuck Stephan jr

maybe:

Fox Valley Cycles
419 Hill Ave
Aurora, IL 60505-5096
(630)851-2910
Internet Manager:
Robert Conley

or

Fox Valley Cycles
419 Hill Ave
Aurora, IL 60505-5096
(630)851-2910
Internet Manager:
Robert Conley

last.

IMO, Otto Brothers did some work that I never authorized, and they DID remove the charges without alot of hassle, so, get some quotes, check them out and see what you think.

I'm just ticked that they tried to play a game on me in the price of a new Wing, i guess, AND.......
when I tried to get a refund on the extended warrenty, they took my info, but FAILED to send it in to Mother Honda. I suspected as much, so, I called mother honda before the time expired, and they confirmed that Otto Bros. never sent/mailed/faxed the paperwork in.

Good thing I suspected that bullcrap. I had it taken care of, got my refund, and had a 'good talking to' with the sales rep and the owner about CRAP LIKE THAT.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Watch the DVD'S over and over, carefully! YOU CAN DO IT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts