GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the planning stage for a trip out west this August including Sturgis. I have not camped since I was in the Army, 35 years ago, my idea of roughing it is a motel without a working air conditioner :lol: I need some ideas about what kind of tent, bag, air mattress etc. I should be getting. I will be pulling a trailer, so I will have a good bit of storage space. I will probaly stay in a motel every 3rd night, unless I find a campground with good showers, or maybe a really cheap motel.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Casper,
how may folks are going to be in the tent with you? Are you riding 2 up?
Need a little more info.
the hobo
BK VAIII

·
Registered
645 Posts
A fairly large tent air bed camp chair the list can go on for ever
what mant by large tent is one you can put up by your self do a dry run in your yard or close by. Just pick a date and do it don't pick a nice weekend pick a date say 3 month's from now is the best way, when out on the who know what it's like out there

·
Registered
477 Posts
If the box says that the tent will sleep 4 that means that you will be crowded with 4 only count 3 comfrotable. I have a double or queen airmattress for me, if i have to my wife can use it too.lol She does not like to ride so i am by myself all the time. Sleeping bag for the time of year (Aug) light bag. If you expect cold weather maybe two bags are in order, one for cold weather. I am planning a cross country trip for when i retire on the wing pulling a trailer and plan to stay at K O A camp grounds, they have showers and are not to bad on cost, at least not in 88 they wern't.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Another option is a tent camp trailer. I tried the tent, but, like you I feel roughing it is turning the electric blanket down to six. We went with a camp trailer, pulls about as easy as the cargo trailer, but with an air mattress (with 12volt pump), takes the rough out of the camping experience. This is when all set up - with add-a-room.

And this is on the road.

And the ball park price for a used one in good shape is about $2000-$2500.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
O.K.,here's my suggestions,
IMO size matters. I read you'll be pulling a trailer,but to me unnecesary weight is just that. Lighter is better. Also quality gear will pack smaller/easier,& keep you,cooler/warmer & drier than inexpensive stuff.

1.Rent your gear. Go to an outfitter where you can see what is available to you. You'll get quality gear & a wealth of info. to your questions,@ a reasonable price.
Most sell rental gear @ greatly reduced prices if you decide to buy. If @ the end of your adventure,you decide "camping sux" you're not left with a bunch of stuff
I personally own 2 tents,both 4 season.
For solo use i have a KELTY 1 person,4 season.backpackers tent. Has a rainfly & vestibule. Has kept me dry in a tropical storm in the Fl. everglades.
I also have a MOUNTAIN HARDWARE 3 person,4 season tent,for when my Wife travels with me. Have used this tent in Glacier & Yellowstone & have stayed warm with temps in the lo 30's.
Both pack small. 3 person tent,poles,stakes,footprint & rainfly weighs 12 lbs., KELTY weighs 5 lbs.
SLEEPING BAG. I prefer a down filled mummy type bag. I've used mine for over 20 yrs. If it's very warm, I sleep on top of it.
Many different styles & types. Again an outfitter will help out here

2. Air mattresses. We use THERMA REST self inflating pads.Pack small & light. Comfortable too.

3. Flashlights. I use the disposable kind. Available anywhere,inexpensive & put out a lot of light.

4. 1st aid kit. A well stocked 1 can be had @ a camping supply store for about $20.00

5. Food. I/we eat in diners/cafes, & carry snacks to the campground.
We do carry a collapsable cooler for drinks,stopping to buy ice before setting up. I do carry a STERNO stove, instant coffee for the A.M.. Boil the water in a tin can,pour it into a cup add coffe & we're good to go. When i'm by myself, i drink from the tin can.

Where to camp? We/I prefer State/Nat.parks & State Forrests to commercial campgrounds. They are usually quieter & not as crowded & most have hot showers & restrooms.

When i'm camping by myself, all my camping gear is packed in a waterproof bag & carried on the passenger seat.
2 up,camping gear is carried on a luggage rack,1/2 the trunk(Wife gets the other 1/2 + the right sadle bag & 1/2 the left bag). I use an Eclipse tank bag for my stuff.

I can set up camp in about 1/2 an hr. & break camp in about 45 mins.
Takes about 15 mins longer to pack up.
By myself i usually travel from sunup to sundown. With my Wife,from about 7A.M. to 4-5 P.M..
You're headed West in the Summer so you'll have pleanty of daylight 'til @ least 8:30- 9:00 P.M..
Again I suggest renting good quality equipment over buying less expensive stuff.
BTW, I'm 6'4",220#'s & not cramped in any of my gear.
Enjoy your trip, & RWP,
the hobo,
BK VAIII

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Fat guys with plastic don't camp!!!!!! :lol:

With that being said, I have used the small four ( yeah right) person dome tent from Wally world and it worked fine, easy to set up and not a fortune invested....any good sleeping bag will work, a real good mattress is mandatory....a small camp light is nice, good flashlight ( I prefer mag lights), cooler, etc...

Have fun, if you want a lot of creature comforts, get a motel.... :wink:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hobo gives good advice. But, for some ideas of what you might like to buy/rent go to REI.com. They have most of the good stuff at reasonable prices. Remember the down sleeping bags are generally more expensive, but pack smaller and lighter. They are the best buy all around.
Tents are numerous, and a picture is worth a thousand words.
My son is off the to Appalachian Trail in the spring so lately we have been deep into good gear.

Backcountrygear.com is another, as well as Sierra Trading Post.

Good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that replied, I think the rental idea may be the way for me to go. This will probaly be my longest trip until I retire, then watch out, if I am able to travel I may have to get a fold out camper like the Timeout.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Casper, I can't believe you've maintained a sensible approach
to this camping thing for 35 years... and now???
I guess I can understand having the desire to try the camping thing, but....
I have found it helpful, when these urges manifest themselves,
to sit down in a nice easy chair, with a tall-cool-one, until the urge goes away. :lol: :lol:
Just having some fun with you Casper....hope you have a great trip.

IR Harry said:
Another option is a tent camp trailer. .
Geeeezze Harry! Around here we refer to a rig like that as....
One of those "palatial estates up on the hill".
Can't see the bike in the first pic....? Guess it must be in the GARAGE! :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You might get yourself a copy of Motorcycle Camping Made Easy by Bob Woofter. Lots of useful information and only about $20.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Light usually means it packs smaller which is good.

Backpack tent
Thermarest pad
Down Bag
Flashlight/Cup

Eat out or ride up and share a spot with some motorhome buddies. Note their table with the equipment.

Yosemite in June

·
Registered
439 Posts
If your pulling a trailer I'd get a good size tent and use an air bed with air pump. :lol: But a big agnes pad works ok to you have to blow it up but it's about 2.5 thick and packs to the size of a water bottle . the coleman single bunner stove is good if you like to cook and you can get it a walmart.
eureka makes good tent too. campmor is a good place to by if you wont new . Pulling a trailer by your self you should be able to take the kitchen sink :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
twohondas said:
Eat out or ride up and share a spot with some motorhome buddies. Note their table with the equipment.

Good point. Several X's while camping i've been asked to share a meal from folks in motorhomes. A small tent & a big motorcycle is a great conversation starter.
"Where ya been where ya goin?" next thing you know they're feeding you. :D
Ride Safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
CASPER2004 said:
I have not camped since I was in the Army, 35 years ago,
Some key information right there............ :shock:

·
Registered
478 Posts
hobo said:
twohondas said:

Good point. Several X's while camping i've been asked to share a meal from folks in motorhomes. A small tent & a big motorcycle is a great conversation starter.
"Where ya been where ya goin?" next thing you know they're feeding you. :D
Ride Safe,
the hobo
The guys think you are an Adventurer/explorer and ask questions. And Girls think you are hungry and feel sorry for you. Helpless is good! Works for me! You never know but you could meet your best friend ever!
What a country!

Enjoy. The only thing I have not managed well is the 3 oclock run to the head in the dark. Beer does not help :cry:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
CASPER2004 said:
I am in the planning stage for a trip out west this August including Sturgis. I have not camped since I was in the Army, 35 years ago, my idea of roughing it is a motel without a working air conditioner :lol: I need some ideas about what kind of tent, bag, air mattress etc. I should be getting. I will be pulling a trailer, so I will have a good bit of storage space. I will probaly stay in a motel every 3rd night, unless I find a campground with good showers, or maybe a really cheap motel.
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. The best resource I found for camping gear decisions was at REI. You can go to http://www.rei.com/camphike and learn all kinds of cool tips. For example, if you click on their link to "Tents" you will see links for "How to Choose a Tent, How to Choose a Bivy Sack, Making Sense of Tent Sizes, and Additional Considerations". They have the same kind of information for sleeping bags, sleeping mattresses, back packs, and just about every kind of gear you can think of.

Once you've educated yourself on the gear, then go to www.campmor.com to purchase your gear. It is very tough to find better prices than they offer.

My personal recommendations for two people camping:
3-person tent (gives room to keep your supplies in the tent with you).
3-season Down Sleeping bags (unless you plan to camp in the snow)
Self inflating sleeping pads.
Capilene long thermal underware as sleep wear (even for the hot nights to wick sweat away from your body, and it doubles up nice to keep you comfortable on the bike)
Some sort of camping pillow (don't rely on clothes stuffed in a pillow case unless stiff necks don't bother you).
Headlamps (work much better than flashlights since you don't have to hold them)

Drop me a line if you want to learn some from my mistakes. We camp now almost every where we go. Lodging is a fraction of the cost that way. And we meet some very cool folks. Camping, motorcycling, and rock climbing all go hand in hand.

By the way, last summer I carried a 4 person tent, two sleeping bags, a queens size air mattress, air compressor, cooking stove, and lantern all in a single backpack that sat on the back seat of my wing (my wife rode her ST1300 on the trip.) We knocked out 5500 miles and spent 4 consecutive nights camping (the rest were in hotels). If I do a two week trip like that again, it will all be camping.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts