GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 has developed a coolant leak, Starting to be significant, It had one when it was brand new and under warrenty the dealer replaced the water pump, the bike just now rolled ove 99,000 miles, anyone else had coolant leak problems, and if so could you point me in the right direction its very hard to see in there to determin where its comming from Ive looked in the parts manual and there are plastic y's that could be the culprit or hoses or the water pump could have failed again, any help would be appreciated
:confused:
Ron

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Some hose clamps under the lower exhaust cowls (most common leak) and if you pull your tank lots of hose clamps under it.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
More than likely it is coming from the hoses under the fuel tank. Unfortunately you have to remove the fuel tank to get to them. I believe there are 3 different hoses under there that need new clamps. Nothing lasts forever.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 03 has developed a coolant leak, Starting to be significant, It had one when it was brand new and under warrenty the dealer replaced the water pump, the bike just now rolled ove 99,000 miles, anyone else had coolant leak problems, and if so could you point me in the right direction its very hard to see in there to determin where its comming from Ive looked in the parts manual and there are plastic y's that could be the culprit or hoses or the water pump could have failed again, any help would be appreciated
:confused:
Ron
Hmm... Every so often after my 03 had been parked for while, like especially the first ride in spring after winter storage the past couple years, I would smell anti-freeze burning off somewhere after the engine was hot. Never left any drops or went abnormally low in the bottle, but I knew something was up. Before the start of this season with about 62,000 miles I decided to change out the water pump with t-stat assy as a matter of preventative maintenance. Upon removal of the aftermaket non-vented belly pan I have installed, there was a slight amount of raw coolant present on the inner surface. But again my Wing had been in storage all winter and only run long enough to move it from my out building and into my garage shop a couple of months ago. Once I removed the fuel tank, I did not find any evidence of coolant leakage at the pump or any of the fittings under the tank. The weep hole on the bottom of the old pump housing didn't show any evidence leakage either. If the internal pump seals fail due to age or incorrect coolant used, this is where the pump will leak. I DID find evidence of leakage at the left and right hose fittings at the rear and beneath the cylinders (as metioned being suspect within this thread). Being I drained the coolant for the pump replacement, I removed these hoses and cleaned off the dried coolant on the fittings and cleaned the inside of the hoses at these connection points very thoroughly. There was evidence of dried coolant seepage/leakage at these connections. So I agree you should check this out on your 03. If you decide to service these connections make sure you clean off all of the hardened scale from the aluminum fittings real good. May require some scraping and careful cleaning with emery. The chunks get cooked on pretty tight/ You're goal is nice clean and smooth aluminum fittings. Reassemble the hoses with standard width and appropriate size automotive hose clamps. I don't recommend reusing the narrow Honda clamps especially on the used hoses already compressed by the narrow clamps on these "cramped" fittings. They would likely leak again and probably worse. If you're not comfortable with just a visual inspection for leaks, (and you'll need to remove the tank to see the hoses beneath in any case as was also mentioned in this thread), you'll need to get ahold of a cooling system pressure tester with the appropriate size fitting for the radiator fill neck and pressure test the system at room temp (not a hot engine!) before you drain the coolant. I've read the system should hold 16 psi for at least 5 minutes. Visually check for leaks while the system is under pressure. I didn't have to go this far with mine after I spotted just the lower hoses that appeared to have been leaking for quite awhile. All else looked good upon a visual inspection. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the radiator cap at this age either. I've read it's not recommended to use anything but the Honda GL1800 radiator cap for replacement. I installed a new cap along with the new pump assy. I think my problem was (and maybe yours) a "contraction" coolant leak(s) as everything cools back down from normal operating temp.

·
Registered
342 Posts
More than likely it is coming from the hoses under the fuel tank. Unfortunately you have to remove the fuel tank to get to them. I believe there are 3 different hoses under there that need new clamps. Nothing lasts forever.

Hope this helps
FYI - I was just in there changing the rear shock. There is three clamps but under those there is a rubber mat and under that are three more clamps. If you watch Fred's video he suggests that you rotate all the clamps till their facing upwards for easy maintenance. Also according to Fred there are three more clamps under the second layer.

·
Vendor
18,595 Posts
Any idea where it is coming from? Frt, rear, left, right?

Most likely at that milage, the rad. cap would fail a pressure test. That often means you have more leaks then one. A bad cap does not allow the pressure to build as high as it may need so the high pressure leaks are not showing. You are probably seeing a lower pressure leak. To test the system correctly, you'll need a rad. pressure tester with the correct addapters.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found it

It was the water pump, Have ordered the replacement will replace the clamps also for all the hoses I can see

1 - 7 of 7 Posts