GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had my wheels powder coated and decided to change the fork oil and a few other things so i took them off but did not compress them to see how they felt before i changed the fluid . the right one worked out fine but the left one with the trak system on it did not seem to work right afterwards .
when i compress it it feels like only the spring is there not the fluid ...i put the correct amount of fluid 18 oz or 5 inches from the top with the tube in all of the way.i went to 15 w ..i bled them before putting the spring and cap back on. i redid it this time taking everything out of the fork checked that all of the pices were in the correct places and put everything back and this time after i filled the fork with oil i suspended the track system higher than the oil in the closed fork and took it off i filled the cavity in the track with oil and put it back together very quickly .thinking that i was not able to get all of the air out of the system with out doing that, and it still did the same thing..i took it to the dealer i bought it from and they siad it did not feel right either but gave me no idea as to what ..they offered to give it a try and if that did not work they would warranty it for me with no problems...before i bring it back to them i wanted to ask anyone here if they had any ideas ..i done thousand of fork seal replacements in my time and never had this happen .so out of a little pride i would like to be able tofix it but am not so pride'ed that i wont just give it to them to take care of ....any ideas has any one noticed a differec in the way the forks dampened from left to right ? couls this be normal? one fork doing all of the dampening ?and the left fork only dampenes when the trak system is active??? thanks ahead of time for every ones help this is the best place to find an answer quick....jake

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jake I own a02 wing and have changed the fork oil twice, with no trouble.
I used belray 10w. oil as this is the correct weight for your application.
First thing never remove the left fork tube, it is unnessesary.
All you need to do is remove the four allen bolts that hold the anti-dive to the bottom of the fork, BE CARFULL not to loose the O-RING'S.
All the oil will drain out. also I believe you are putting to much oil in that fork. However I dont have my repair manual in front of me.
HOLD ON I will go get it. OK I'm back.
The correct amount of oil is 17.9 +OR- O.O8 US oz.
The right fork leg has to be removed.
The amount of oil for that leg is 16.4 +or- 0.08 US oz.
I trully recommend 10w. oil
I am over 300 pounds and have over 40,000 miles on my bike.
If you want to e-mail me, I will e-mail you with my phone number.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Jake,
Only one fork leg has any damping in it. Not sue if it's the right or left (no manual in hand) anyway the one with the rod attached to the cap is the one with damping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts