GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I bought replacement front speakers for my '03 but I do not know how to get to the speakers in the fairing. I do not have a manual to guide me through it and I am a mechanical idiot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Roy

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i just went through this with only minor troubles.

grills snap out from bottom

that exposes the two bolts and the center rivet things

take off key trim

pull up at back

carefully unhook the wire connection for the display

panel comes right off

look at those speakers

loren

·
Registered
55 Posts
Take a small blade screw driver and pry from top of black cover.
It should pop cover loose. Do both covers. with cover off you will see
a chrome bolt in lower corner of each side remove both screws, there
ia a pop lock in upper corner of both you pull out lock.
then you pull bottom of gray meter panel up from around ignition key
do not raise too high as you have to reach under meter panel to unplug
the connector to push buttons. the Connector latch is released by pressing latch out form plug not pushing in on it.
after that you should be able to remome speakers
John

·
Registered
322 Posts
Roy, the speaker grills do pop out. Pull up from the bottom and they will pop out. The allen screws will be in the lower corners down deep. Their is one on each side. The key trim just pops up and out. Pull the whole cover up and back and the grommets will free up. The key display connector is tough to get at. You have to reach under the cover and in front to get at the plug thingy. That's it, but the upper outer screw for the speake is kind of hidden behind plastic. Pry downward on the speaker box and you'll get it.
Hope this helps, Eric

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
details added-use the tip of your finger nails and just lightly push down on the top of the speaker grills, then pull out. When putting back on, use the open palm and slap at the bottom and top tab locking points. Most times you will hear the tabs snap in place. Even when they look in place this completes it. Two allens and two pull pins are at the speakers as stated, be sure when pulling the instrument panel out that the two rubber groments in the center area do not pull out of place. (twist tie, or floss tie the groments after removal ) The key cover pulls up easy, but has a wire harness with the locking connector side forward side. Be careful about the three cover plastic caps that cover the bottom of the three switches(mode,display,?) Had no problems the first few times of pulling, but this last time one cover fell out while trying to connect the harness. Had me perplexed where it come from for a few minutes. Covers are only about 3/4" square caps. When installing the screws just hand snug, do no overtighten. Nest time I think electrical tape will be added to the covers caps.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help. I will get on this over the weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts