GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been reading the instructions and can't figure out how to map a route. If someone has time would you mind explaining how I do that?

thanks

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Have been reading the instructions and can't figure out how to map a route. If someone has time would you mind explaining how I do that?

thanks
He,he,he...
Yup, I know fun42 what your going through. I have a 550 also and still after 7 months still can't map a route using MapSource. The instructions are all GREEK to me. It would be nice to meet face to face with someone who has (and knows how to use it) the program and just spend some time and be taught one on one. Unfortunately, no one I know has a Garmin.
Larry (thecruiser)

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts

thanks
If you have specific questions, feel free to PM or E-mail me.
Otherwise the Zumo Forums already linked is a very valuable resource for research.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
There is a way to do it right on the Zumo. Go to WHERE TO. Select ROUTES. It will let you state starting point and destination, plus it will give you opportunity to insert WAY POINTS. Your other navigation preferences will be obeyed.

BUT, isn't there always a butt, the Garmin software seems to demand that your way points have specific addresses and that is a PIA. On the ;puter you have way more flexibility. Get any teenager to show you how it works, but you will have to ask them to not keyboard so damn fast!

prs

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I could help as well. I just taught GPS 101 for my local GWRRA group including how to build a route.

PM or email me. My profile is good.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
There is a way to do it right on the Zumo. Go to WHERE TO. Select ROUTES. It will let you state starting point and destination, plus it will give you opportunity to insert WAY POINTS. Your other navigation preferences will be obeyed.

BUT, isn't there always a butt, the Garmin software seems to demand that your way points have specific addresses and that is a PIA. On the ;puter you have way more flexibility. Get any teenager to show you how it works, but you will have to ask them to not keyboard so damn fast!

prs
Find a kid to help.... GREAT IDEA!
I can work the Zumo....some.
It's the MapSource I can't figure out. (computer stuff, ya know...)

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
There are a few Mapsource 'How-Tos' on the Zumo board that provide good starting points.
I registered on the Zumo board... where are the "How To's"?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Don't waste another moment! Go directly to that zumoforums website, and look at the how-to stickies there. If you have a 550, and you want to do routes, that website is the only way you're going to learn how to do it.

Mapsource's user interface SUCKS; it is utterly incomprehensible without some coaching. It is however quite usable once you get just a few tips on how to use it. You're quite unlikely to figure it out without assistance!

Start with this link, and follow the links in it:
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=3303.0

This is another thread, with a few real gems in it (like keeping a "master map" file, for instance).
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=265&highlight=basics

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Think I found'em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts