GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our new Nolan 103 helmets, and they are terrific. Everything everyone says and more. However, one small problem and hopefully an easy fix.

We have the J&M 584 Elite headsets installed, and everything with the speakers (comfort, etc) seems to be OK..., but I'm having a bit of difficulty with the mic. With the chin-piece in the closed (down) position, the mic is pressed fairly tight against my chin/lip. I'm sure this would become a serious annoyance after even a short ride.

The question I have is, would it be OK to trim away a bit of the styrofoam on the inside of the chin-piece to make room for the mic? Sort of like hollowing out a little pocket that would keep the mic from pressing against my mouth.

Any ideas and/or suggestions...

~

·
Registered
134 Posts
I will be intrested as well. My wife and I plan to get these helments at the florida rally in march.
Jim

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You must be a big headed buzzard like me! :lol: I have the exact same complaint with the N102 helmet. The way I got around the uncomfortable microphone issue was to shave down the smallest windsock that came with the mic until it was pretty much flat on both sides, with one side directly in line with the mic. You then will bend the flexible arm into an arc so it sticks above the chin guard opening where the face shield closes down and position the mic to the left of your mouth just touching your lip. The sound is great, the speech (I'm told) is clear and ok to understand by others on CB's listening to me.

good luck!

Daveo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nolan 103 Headset

Hi:

J&M make two headset for the Nolan 103. One is J&M part number HS-ICD279-N103 MSP $189.99. The other is part number HS-ICD584-N103 MSP $209.99. Both headsets are on J&M web site. It is www.jmcorp.com.

These headset are made expressly for Noland 103N.

Barryg1800

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Hi:

J&M make two headset for the Nolan 103. One is J&M part number HS-ICD279-N103 MSP $189.99. The other is part number HS-ICD584-N103 MSP $209.99. Both headsets are on J&M web site. It is www.jmcorp.com.

Barryg1800
Does any actually READ the posts that others take the time to write? Brian already mentions he has the N103 WITH THE 584 HEADSETS! Your post is pointless! :rolleyes:

The question I have is, would it be OK to trim away a bit of the styrofoam on the inside of the chin-piece to make room for the mic? Sort of like hollowing out a little pocket that would keep the mic from pressing against my mouth.

Any ideas and/or suggestions...

~
Brian,

Sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in with my Shoei. I wasn'r comfortable "digging" out a pocket on my shin bar, so right now I'm just living with the problem.

J&M does have a "thin" style boom mic designed for "Full Face" hemlets so you can attach the mic to the chin bar, but I don't think that will work with flip face helmets.

You might want to give J&M a call and ask for their help. They might have something we don't know about.

Good luck!

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must be a big headed buzzard like me! :lol:
That's a more complimentary description than a few others have thrown at me..., more like "fat head"... :lol::lol: Actually, we have the same problem with both helmets, and the SO has a faily slim face, but her mic presses fairly significantly on her mouth.

I have the exact same complaint with the N102 helmet. The way I got around the uncomfortable microphone issue was to shave down the smallest windsock that came with the mic until it was pretty much flat on both sides, with one side directly in line with the mic. You then will bend the flexible arm into an arc so it sticks above the chin guard opening where the face shield closes down and position the mic to the left of your mouth just touching your lip.
I have a whole box of various sized windsocks, so maybe I'll try and see if something smaller will work a bit better.

~

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

And you point is...???

~

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does any actually READ the posts that others take the time to write? Brian already mentions he has the N103 WITH THE 584 HEADSETS! Your post is pointless! :rolleyes:
Dont hold back, Bart..., say what's really on your mind... :lol::lol:

There's hardly a day goes by, reading one thread or another here, that I dont think exactly the same thing. And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in with my Shoei. I wasn't comfortable "digging" out a pocket on my shin bar, so right now I'm just living with the problem.
If it was just me, I'd probably just suffer through it, but it's the same on Val's helmet..., and when "honey" gets cranky, life ain't worth living... :lol: Dont know about your Shoei, but on the Nolan the Styrofoam in the chin-bar is quite thick, and it wouldn't take a very deep pocket to do the trick. However, that would be my last resort in case no one comes up with something worthwhile.

J&M does have a "thin" style boom mic designed for "Full Face" helmets so you can attach the mic to the chin bar, but I don't think that will work with flip face helmets.
I think you'd have cords and cables all over the place. With my luck, I'd likely strangle myself.

You might want to give J&M a call and ask for their help. They might have something we don't know about.
Good idea..., I'll give them a shout.

~

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got the N103's and installed Edsets, purchased the mike for full face helmets and couldn't find a way to mount it (as with some of the other flip faced helmets), so went with the old boom mics. Have the same problem and am living with it for now, but can see some removal of the foam on the chinbar in the future. Will be interested in any unusual options that don't disfigure the helmet.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the N103's and installed Edsets, purchased the mike for full face helmets and couldn't find a way to mount it (as with some of the other flip faced helmets), so went with the old boom mics. Have the same problem and am living with it for now, but can see some removal of the foam on the chinbar in the future. Will be interested in any unusual options that don't disfigure the helmet.
It's not much consolation, but it IS reassuring to know that I'm not the only one suffering this problem. :lol: Hopefully there will be a solution that we can all use.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Brian, I would say your idea of carving out a small channel to accomodate the mic boom is as good as any. I really don't see how it would impact the safety of the helmet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
mic

Try getting rid of the windsock altogether and put a piece of scotch tape over the holes on the mic. Works great

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try getting rid of the windsock altogether and put a piece of scotch tape over the holes on the mic. Works great
I thought of removing the wind sock altogether, but dont know how much noise might be generated, especially from the passenger's mic. Inside the helmet, it probably wouldn't be noticable, but I figure we'll be doing quite a bit of riding (especially in the summer) with the chin-bar flipped up. I do have Mic-Mutes installed and they help a LOT, so maybe it wont be a big deal to do away with the wind sock. I'll have to try the scotch tape idea. Not sure if these are noise-cancelling mics or not, though.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I am purchasing a nolan 103 from sierra electronics and having the headset installed that plugs in. i will watch for this

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have this set up, got it from Sierra too.... this was the first time I've had a mic and I just thought having the mic tight against my lips was going to have to be expected for a modular helmet... I've just gotten use to it.:shrug:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Brian I have the same setup that you have with the Nolen 103 and J&M headsets. I also have a big head,:p I have the Nolen 103 XXL, with the mike I just angle it up alongside my face no problem with folks hearing me on the CB or Cell. I wouldn’t hesitate to cut an area around the mike if that is where you want to keep it. I had to cut around where my glasses go in the helmet by the speakers for it to fit comfortable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nolan 103 intercom problem

Brian,

Try taking a kitchen spoon and warming it up and place it on the foam area where your mic is hitting and see if you can recess that area a little bit. This worked on a Arai helmet awhile back.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try taking a kitchen spoon and warming it up and place it on the foam area where your mic is hitting and see if you can recess that area a little bit. This worked on a Arai helmet awhile back.
Another good idea... Thanks

-

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Brian,

That is a very good idea, much better than cutting a piece out.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts