GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '05 when I rev the engine or decelerate I get a popping sound. Any ideals?

Lenny

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Shadetree mechanic here - when I've noticed something like that in the past it's due to either worn plugs, or injector issues. When was the last time (mileage wise) the plugs were replaced, and some seafoam or techron run through the system?

Also, is this a recent occurrence or a long-term issue you're having?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree: Before anything else, I'd replace plugs and run some Seafoam or Techron thru system... take it for a good long ride too! Actually, I'd add Seafoam BEFORE I changed the plugs and take it on a long ride, and THEN change the plugs and add some Techron. JMO

If that doesn't cure it, you may have an emmissions issue with the exhaust or a sensor. Does the bike run well otherwise; i.e. does it accelerate smoothly?

Shadetree mechanic here - when I've noticed something like that in the past it's due to either worn plugs, or injector issues. When was the last time (mileage wise) the plugs were replaced, and some seafoam or techron run through the system?

Also, is this a recent occurrence or a long-term issue you're having?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It also could be a problem with the PAIR solenoid or other components of the PAIR system. This system allows the introduction of fresh air into the exhaust stream to insure complete combustion of unburned fuel. I disabled the PAIR system on my CB1000rr and would do the same to the goldwing if it wasn't such a huge problem to get to the check valve plates in the head.
I think that it is call secondary purge air system in the service manual.

Jeff...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does it all the time, the plugs could use a changing probably. I am more inclined to go with air leaking in somewhere but will try putting in fresh set of plugs first.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
It does it all the time, the plugs could use a changing probably. I am more inclined to go with air leaking in somewhere but will try putting in fresh set of plugs first.
I'm guessing it's a leak at the exhaust pipes where they meet the heads. For anyone wanting to disable the PAIR system on this bike, all you have to do is plug the air intake for the system in the air box. It's the port in the bottom front of the box and if you plug it, the PAIR system won't have a supply to let into the exhaust stream.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Is the exhaust stock? Also, I ment to ask if it does it does it at operating temperature (operating temperature is after fans come on plus 2-3 mins while on center stand)?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tech dude, if you plug off the pair system does that mess up anything else? Exhaust system is stock, and the exhaust popping happens when cold or hot.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
Tech dude, if you plug off the pair system does that mess up anything else? Exhaust system is stock, and the exhaust popping happens when cold or hot.
It will make the exhaust emissions go up, but the bike will run the same. Have you isolated it to the PAIR system causing it? The donut gaskets on the header pipes is the most likely culprit. Does it pop on both sides or is it only one side? If it is a gasket leaking, your fuel mileage will be low and will get worse with time due to the leak tricking the O2 sensors into "thinking" the system is lean.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
If you're working on a trike could it be loose where the trike exhaust joins up to the Original exhaust? John
I don't think it will pop unless the fresh air gets in very close to the heads where the exhaust stream temperature is high. Normally, the PAIR system only let's air into the exhaust stream when the throttle is off of idle. It's supposed to close and not let any air in when the throttle is back at idle. If it malfunctions, the control solenoid will let air into it all the time and you get the popping. The air box has to come out to test the system, so it's not a quick test, but probably is necessary to figure out the issue if the exhaust donuts are good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Has or does the bike sit for long periods of time? It could be bad/old gas or a clogged fuel injector or Spark Plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts