GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i have a 2005 gl1800 with a trailer hitch. just wondering if i can remove the rear tire without having to remove the hitch ???? :roll: i do have a sears motorcycle lift, the 70.00 dollar foot pump kind !!! i tried to remove the hitch but looked like the saddle bags should be loosened and shifted and didnt really wanna get into that. any help would be very much welcomed !!! :D thxs in advance and merry christmas, todd

·
Registered
868 Posts
Remove the center section of the fender. Jack it up and take the tire off. No problem. Besure to loosen the lugs before jackig it off the floor.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Break the lugs loose while the bike is on the ground. Raise the bike and remove the wheel out the bottom. Remember the weight difference will unbalance the bike. Strap it to the jack.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have in the past lay the bike on it's side resting on the crash bars & removed the back wheel that way when I had a towhitch fitted & no lift to lift bike up.lay the bike down on some old carpet to protect the crash bars.

·
Registered
461 Posts
After lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack, the process is about like removing a car tire. Be sure to secure the bike to the jack with straps.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have the same lift. Like the others said jack it up and it will come out the bottom. Loosen the lug nuts before jacking. And you have to jack it ALL the way up in order to slide it out but it goes pretty easy. Bike is a long way up in the air. Kind of scary so strap it to the jack. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
boatdrvrpro said:
Has anyone hoisted the bike from overhead to remove the rear wheel? Wonder where you would lift from.
No way I would even attempt lifting the bike.....unless its with a motorcycle jack FROM THE BOTTOM.

No way I would lift it with straps and a chain fall or similar device. Asking for damage IMHO.

RRP

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
It can be lifted from the top but you need two independently operated cables and removal of the seat. My 1500 was towed in by a wrecker using this method. I watched him do it and not a scratch on the bike.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:D thanks for the help my friends !!!! like many of you said it was pretty straight forward. i must not have had the bike centered on the centerstand pivot point just right cause when i raised it up enough to get the tire out the bike had tilted slightly to the right side a little.that was a little scary looking at it from the back when i stood up. :shock: i did strap it down with four straps from the crash bars. had to loosen those a few times to go higher. once again i am ever so thankful for your help and knowledge. maybe i can return the good deed to my fellow riders with something useful someday myself !!! ride on and be careful my friends.
thanks again, todd
:yes: :bow: :bow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts