GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble disconnecting the electrical connection near the switch cover. Do I need to remove the screw near the connection? The service manual doesn't mention the screw. It didn't mention to remove the rubber cover from the twitters before disconnecting them either.:shrug:

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
460 Posts
2007 Meter Panel Removal

No need to remove the screw, unless you're going for the full tear down of the shelter to change out the air filter.

You will need to unhook the tweeters however, to get the meter panel completely off.

Do a search on this board for a "2006 meter panel removal" pictorial. It has several useful pictures and descriptions you'll need to get it all done right.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You do not need to remove any screws to take any of the electrical pin connectors apart. Not sure exactly what you are trying to unplug, but all the pin connectors on the 1800 have a push release on the connector, those under the meter panel have then on the back of the connectors, simply push that back release tab in and the connector will unplug.

A good bright light will help you see the connector and figure it out.

The little black tweeter connectors have a small push release on the outside of each connector, in other words, out to the outside of the bike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. I got the twitter connector off. Just haven't located the release for the connector near the switch. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks all for the response.

·
Registered
469 Posts
They can be a b---h sometimes. Some guys cut the lock off when they get it undone, so they don't have to mess with it next time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The *itch switch

Ok it is a tough thing to unplug. Get a good light. The switch housing (the base part of the switch) is hooked to the m/c so it will not move much. On one side of the square plug (the side of the plug that is facing the windscreen) is a black sort of bridge that a tab from the part that is hooked to the meter panel slips under and locks. The trick is to slide a small screw driver under the bridge...stand on the right side of the bike and slide the screwdriver blade in about 1/8 of an inch and push the tag down while gently pulling the connection apart. The blade s/b about the width of 2 letters on this screen.

Its only tough the first time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
i had a time getting mine unplugged. You can go to Steve Saunders goldwing page for a video showing removing the panel. After you figure out where the release is, the way to unplug it is to plug it in all the way, push the release, then unplug. The problem I had was caused by trying to unplug and release at the same time, doesn't work. Release first, unplug second. Don't do both the same time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The last time I unplugged that connection for shelter removal I removed the post which secures the connection. The wiring lays fine without the post. I have large hands and that allows me to raise up and not remove the meter panel for low beam bulb replacement. Probably not something everyone would do but it works for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Piece of cake once you see it done. Part removed, cleaned it and behind it, and re-installed.:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts