GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy one ,can you tell me the best model (biker friendly and hard bumps) and who has the best price . I would like the complete package,antenna,and mounting. As always thanks in advance. Roger-snowbirding in Briny Breezes Fl.:bow:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm happy with my Sirius radio and have it mounted with a RAM mount. I bought my Sirius package at the local city circuit. It came with all the necessary parts with the expection of the RAM mount. :doorag::doorag::doorag:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/03122.htm

http://www.hoonhardware.com/

I have the skyfi2 which I bought several years ago. Don't know if they still make it. The first link has everything you need to connect the radio to the wing. The second link is a handy mount for it. I would recommend a radio that comes with a docking cradle. Then you can easily remove the radio in bad weather or if concerned some kid will swipe it. I actually bought three docking cradles and mounted the other two in our cars. I carry the radio with me whatever I'm driving. Pick a radio that is large with buttons that can be worked with gloves on. Any of them will work well in spite of the bumps but I don't think anyone is making a waterproof unit. When it rains I pop mine out and put it in the left pocket and listen to FM.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,663 Posts
I like and use the Delphi Sky Fi2 to listen to XM on the bike. I used only the stuff that came with the unit to mount to the bike. When I added the GPS I used a Kennedy cell set I ordered from Jon (www.goldwinggadgets.com).

e-bay has Sky-Fi2 units for sale.

Wishing you the best in your search.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
YOu are going to get 20 posts and 20 different answers.

My preference is a Garmin Zumo 550 with the GXM-30 antenna. The advantages are that I have an MP3 player, Audible book player, satellite radio receiver, traffic and lightweight weather, bluetooth cell phone all in one waterproof package.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Garmin Zumo 550 with the GXM-30 anten
nahe zumo is great. On my old bike I had a XM Roady it was okay but the zumo is built proof can take the vibration and wheather.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have the SkyFi 2 mounted with velcro right on the Goldwing emblem above the radio controls. I had it on a handlebar RAM mount, that works good too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I use the Sirius Sportster on a ram mount on my handle bar. Antenna is stuck to the lower part of the wind screen with double sided tape. And the power cord is hard wired to the acc power on the bike. Radio picks up the signal thru fm reception.

When it is gonna rain I use a baggie over the sirius and the Nuvi GPS and never had a problem with either. I use the cradle that came with the sportster and put a rubber band around it for extra protection.

I tried a CD player and MP3's om my nuvi but like the Sat radio better.

Teddyb3
aka Dan

·
Young Buck
2,549 Posts
Compared to the customer no-service that XMSirius provides, the choice of which radio to buy is a simple one.

If you thought the customer service from the cable company was bad..... just wait. It is nearly impossible to get a correct answer from them the first time.

In October, I redeemed a XM programming "gift card". They're looking at my account and are seeing that gift card as a "charge" and not a "credit"... and I can't convince them otherwise.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

My Sirius radio cost $39.00 at Best Buy, Ram mount $19.00 and a scrap piece of aluminum for mounting the antenta on top of the radio.

Plug it into the AUX on the 1800,plug unit into the power plug in the left pocket and I'm done for less then $60.00.

Theres nothing tuff or expensive about doing Sat radio unless you want to make it tuff and expensive"

Good Luck and enjoy no matter what you choose to do.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I bought $ 99. sirius radio at radio shack in August 07 put it in left pocket , plug in acc. plug ,mounted antenna facing sky. it works pretty good . Do be aware if you buy a year service and want to get out they charge $75. s ! I had two and called in August to cancel one at end of service year which was September and found the $ 75. charge . they were to reimburse but still havent last i checked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts