GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the beginning stages of planning for an Iron Butt ride (48 states in 10 days) and need some assistance.

I have been told that some states do not allow speakers/microphones in your helmet. I tried to verify this by looking in the AMA web site and came up empty handed. Thought that we probably have people from all the states on this board and I may get some help here. :?: :?:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Orange Bandit 4 - I believe the laws are such that technically you're not supposed to have more than one speaker in your headset so the other ear is able to hear any possible traffic noises. Others can differ with me, but personally my state (California) has such a law and I've never heard of anyone getting caught on this issue. I have two in my flip helmet and listen to my XM/CB/SPIII all the time and can hear whats going on around me just fine, so I don't plan on changing anything. even when I travel to other states which I frequently do.

Personally, I would say drive carefully and with common sense and not lose any sleep over driving a motorcycle with a two earpiece headset anywhere you travel.

Have a great trip,

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Took a bit of searching, and changing search parameters to come up with it... but Ask Jeeves comes through as always:

http://www.easyriders.com/content/law/lawchart.asp#1

LOTS of HELMET LAW sites out there... hard to filter through all those to find the rest of the laws... lol

The 48/10 is definitely on my to do list!! Please share any info you have on your pre-planning and your ride report after complete. Trying to find a good route from the NW... maybe next year... already planning a B2B2B to start out my riding season, and the Trans-Canadian ride with the MTF in June.

Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DaleC said:
Personally, I would say drive carefully and with common sense and not lose any sleep over driving a motorcycle with a two earpiece headset anywhere you travel.

DaleC
Usually my MO too... don't go looking for trouble and you usually won't find it. Doesn't always hold true... every now & again you find an a-hole just out to bust your balls.

But they would have to have PC to stop you... and no way they will ever know how many speakers are or aren't in your helmet from the outside. So as long as they don't have a reason to stop you and you take your helmet off... no worries :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's the scoop from Florida.....(direct from Statute, edited out a few sections)

1) No person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.

(2) This section does not apply to:

(c) Any person operating a motorcycle who is using a headset that is installed in a helmet and worn so as to prevent the speakers from making direct contact with the user's ears so that the user can hear surrounding sounds.

So, as for Florida, as long as the speakers do not touch your ears, you are OK. I don't believe anyone would give you a hard time or even try to "test" to see if the speakers touched your ears - I never have! I think most states are as reasonable. The whole purpose of these statutes is to assure you can still hear surrounding noises/warnings/sirens/etc.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
380 Posts
As of the first week in Sept 2003, there's a no helmet law in PA. Except for the under 18 and some other technicalities of which you don't need to concern yourself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you are a member of the GWRRA, you have a Gold Book with information for all the states on requirements for motorcycles.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. IBMike's reply and Paul Long's reply got me exactly what I was looking for. Actually, the AMA link was terriffic!

I knew that there was some oddball rules out there, but Mass and Rhode Island take the cake!

Mass and RI: Helmet Speakers Prohibited to use or possess

OK, does this mean that the LEO's will confiscate your illegal speakers? I know that I probably seem thick headed, but WOW!!!!

I take it that these two states would rather that you blare it over open speakers and remove your hand from the handlebars to use a hand held microphone!! Go Think! :roll:

What do you Mass and RI riders do? Am I possibly misunderstanding their state laws?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Massachusetts

Unfortunately some of us live in this stupid state. I have never been hasseled about having speakers in my helmet.

However - I was stopped for having a flashing headlamp in Weymouth MA. The officer yelled at me about flashing the other drivers. I showed him a MA State Police letter stating that they were legal. He wrote a speeding ticket instead.

In court he swore I was speeding and wasn't stopped for the headlight.... sitting on extra insurance costs for 4 years because of the liar - happened on a GL1500 157 measured feet after a complete stop - he said I was doing 45 in a 25.

SO even if yoou are right you are wrong.

Enjoy your speakers! Im jealous of the ride - OH how I want to do it. Will be doing a Boston to Jacksonville 2 day trip down - 2 days there - 2 days back for the 1st weekend in June. 1556 miles - includes the Dragon.

Did get in 133 miles today - beautiful 56 degrees.

·
Registered
104 Posts
WingAway, all the evidence you need is recorded on a Street Pilot GPS with the tracking feature turned on. Download the recorded track into a computer and pick out a spot you traveled along that track and take a look at all the recorded info. Speed, time, date, along with altitude and excact location are recorded. I cannot tell you if this information will in fact keep you out of trouble in court, but I bet it wouldn't hurt.

I know this doesn't have a thing to do with the subject of this post, but I couldn't resist puting this info out here. :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bandit, I live in RI and never knew it was illegal, and have never had a problem. Its a small state bandit you won't be here that long to worry about it. :cop2:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CB Vet, your right, we won't be in Mass but for about 80 miles and RI for about 25 miles. So for just over 100 miles, I could just put the chord away! Naw, think I will simply behave myself! :eek:w1:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
bandit, NY has a "helmet speaker law" similar to Fla. and My sister and B.I.L both ride Katanas in Mass.

I have been through most of the North east and Have never had a problem.

One word of caution: it is illegal in New York to drive a motor vehicle and hold a cell phone to your ear (not that this is a problem with a helmet on) you can put on make up, read a book, hell you can even have sex while driving in NY, you just can't call anyone to tell them your doing it :roll: :D :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Bob (Bear said:
Aren't those two states easy to avoid? :D
lol... as a norm they would be... but doing a "46 states/10 days" ride just doesn't sound so impressive :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
jmac00 said:
One word of caution: it is illegal in New York to drive a motor vehicle and hold a cell phone to your ear (not that this is a problem with a helmet on) you can put on make up, read a book, hell you can even have sex while driving in NY, you just can't call anyone to tell them your doing it :roll: :D :D
Damn... I need to come to NY!!! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts