GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks: Just bought a used 2002 GW and changed the battery as a preventative measure. Pushed the hazard lights switch and now they won't switch off. Add ideas to fix it?? Thanks for your help in advance.
Steve
Denver

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Here you go. This is not the hazard switch but all of these switches are the same. Don't listen to the ones that say spray this and that in or on it and it will start working. After you look at these pictures and or after you pull the switch out you will understand why.

The switch is easy to get to. Just remove the trim on the left side and then remove two bolts that hold the plastic cover in place. The panel with the switch and rear suspension control will then come out. You might find it easier to remove the left glove box. To do this push the center of the four plastic pins in and remove them. The box will then lift out and allow you more room to reach in and unplug the module. Then just remove the plastic cover on the hazard switch and follow the directions. Be sure to get you some silicon lube (dielectric grease) to lube the switch. Be sure to remove the old grease that is in the switch. This stuff hardens with age and keeps the switch from working properly.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/reverseswitch

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Not gonna disagree with Walts solution. If you need to get then off, working the button up/down may give you a temp fix. Spraying with a electronic cleaner may also kick it loose ( watch the plastic when you spray). Best is take them apart or replace them.
Good luck...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Tex has the right solution. I also remember that Waldo found that if you push the switch in only part way and release that you can get it to turn off. Not a fix but will get you home with out the aggravation.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Click on the link that TexWalter has provided for clear instructions step by step.

That little spring is going to JUMP OUT so it would be wise to take it apart while holding the switch inside a plastic bag or a box.

:thumbup:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
When I got mine apart it was mangled inside to the point that reliable operation couldn't be restored. I just disconnected it and jumpered the two wires that allow normal signal operation. I hope they have a different supplier now for switches.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 2003. I took the switch apart and cleaned /lubed it with Radio Shack tuner lube, no problem since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts