GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the beginning stages of planning a summer trip from Salt Lake City Utah to Vancouver Canada this summer. We were planning to take 10 days and drive up thru Boise Idaho, to the Portland area , then to Vancouver, then over to the Oregon coast and down to the California Redwoods, then over to Reno, and then back to SLC.
Are there any must see places along the way?
Are there any places to avoid?
What time of the year would have the best weather?
You know, the usual stuff.
We plan on just a real loose schedule of riding and sight seeing as we see fit or how we feel and how the weather treats us.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
British Columbia offers a number of different tourism sites, here is one to help you out:
http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/default.htm
To enhance your riding experience during your westward journey travel in B.C on Hwy #3, or stay in the US and travel on State hwy #20
Remember that the dollar excahnge rate so far is averaging about 22% in favour of the American dollar. So the longer that you stay in Canada the longer you will be benefiting from the exchange rate.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
vancouver

Washington state,
pros:
- highway 20
- mt.rainer
- hurricane ridge
- mt.st.helens
cons:
- seattle (too many cars)
British Columbia
cons: Vancouver (too many cars)
pros:
- Stanley park
- highway 3,99
- vancouver island
- highway 4 to long beach
- victoria, butchard gardens

take BC ferries from Vancouver to Vancouver Island,
return to Washington on Coho ferry, head west on 101, then south into Oregon

I would suggest anytime, June - Sept.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Since I despise I-5 and Seattle traffic my inclination would be to leave Portland, jog over to the coast and work north to Port Angeles. I'd see Olympic National Park then cross into Canada at Victoria via Port Angeles ferry.
It would be nice to work in Washington's Highway 20, Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens on your route. That might be another way of working north if you don't want to go to Victoria.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Seattle isn't that bad if you time it so you're not there in rush hour.

But,if you want to bypass Seattle,you could ride east from Portland along the north side of the Columbia Gorge,ride north on the east side of the mountains,then cross back over to the west on WA 20.
From there take 9 north,cross the border at Sumas,then on to Vancouver.
Or you could visit Mt St Helens,then cross over Wa 12 and do the same thing

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
If you go to Vancouver Island and have time, take the trip out to Tofino The road out is amazing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Screw Canada,,,,, (no offense to our Canadian Brothers/Sisters on this board,,,, but my brother and I have had some bad experiences up there and have sworn to never go up there again,,, however depending on the responses that I recieve on the Ride, Trips and events board,,, I may have to pass through there once more).... Al :yes::yes::yes: a "seasoned member",,, just look to the left under my name.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you will be riding I-5 Freeway from Portland thru Seattle and North to Everett and Then further North. Use the Fast Lane( Commuter lane) piece of Cake. Giver hell and just keep going. Did it yesterday ( Round Trip) from Portland thru Everett.
Some of it was at night in the rain.& Smathering of snow.... Sounds like you are going to have to call in Sick at work to see all that you want to see. Lots to see up this way. I hope to be headed your way in August on the way to Denver,Co.
Have Fun planning your trip
David
HondaMortch

·
Registered
6 Posts
:agree::thumbup:
Just said goodby to great friends who were here from Spokane to visit us for the past four days. We, had a great time with them. In the BC interior and Central Washinton are fantastic MC roads. Lost of curves, not too much traffic, including mobile taxation facilities, not too many motorhomes.

So come on up and enjoy the ride. To those who "Screw Canada" etc. here is a current reply.

Lets ride.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
OFFENSE TAKEN 'algreen'

SCREW CANADA !!
Screw Canada,,,,, (no offense to our Canadian Brothers/Sisters on this board,,,, but my brother and I have had some bad experiences up there and have sworn to never go up there again,,, however depending on the responses that I recieve on the Ride, Trips and events board,,, I may have to pass through there once more).... Al

Because you and your brother "have had some bad experiences up there and have sworn to never go up there again"
I sincerely doubt your experience is reflective of the other 9.1 Million Americans that made the trip in 2008.
Perhaps it might just be best for you to reflect on why you had a "bad experience".
Then keep your bigotry to yourself.

·
Registered
657 Posts
when your young you pick destination when you get older just pick a direction.:yes1:

·
Registered
883 Posts
OFFENSE TAKEN 'algreen'

SCREW CANADA !!
Screw Canada,,,,, (no offense to our Canadian Brothers/Sisters on this board,,,, but my brother and I have had some bad experiences up there and have sworn to never go up there again,,, however depending on the responses that I recieve on the Ride, Trips and events board,,, I may have to pass through there once more).... Al

Because you and your brother "have had some bad experiences up there and have sworn to never go up there again"
I sincerely doubt your experience is reflective of the other 9.1 Million Americans that made the trip in 2008.
Perhaps it might just be best for you to reflect on why you had a "bad experience".
Then keep your bigotry to yourself.
PB, not to worry, Best that these guys don't find out how great of roads & scenery there is in BC.

To the original poster, while in Vancouver someone told us about taking the "water taxi's" on a tour. Maybe some of the local can fill you in. We didn't have time to take the tour, but it sounded great.

Sleddog

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Washington coast is boring.
Except for the north and south ends of 101 and some parts in the middle.

The peninsula has some great parts.

Do Quinault or Hoh Rain Forest, Hurricane Ridge, Mt Rainier NP, All of Hwy 20 with Washington and Rainy Passes. FSR 52, Lake Crescent, Hwy 7, Independence Valley, Stevens Pass, White Pass, Chinook Pass, Mt St Helens, Wind River Road, Meadow Creek, FSR 25, FSR 90, BZ Corner-Goldendale Road & Klickitat Canyon, Columbia Gorge, Grand Coulee Dam, Seattle's Pioneer Square, Pike Place Market and the Space Needle, Hwy 28 and Grand Coulee, Hwy 97, Joyce-Piedmont Rd, Hwy 503, Hwy 4, Hwy 14, Mt Baker, Hwy 6, Chuckanut Drive, Deception Pass and three or four motorcycle museums. Then you've just got to see Oregon!!!

There are a lot better places to see in Canada than Vancouver, like Kelowna and Okanagan Lake, but there sure are some fun ways to get there and back. :p

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Well, there you go.... all the reasons mentioned above why I'm ready to move out of Florida and head for the NorthWest.... sounds like a lot of good riding.

I just did a loop from SLC to Missoula area, LoLo pass, and around back to SLC in Sept. Great ride. I envy your plans...

I've been to Vancouver once, returning trip from Alaska cruise.... great city. I really like it... very nice folks. I plan to go back, or at least near, on a motorcycle trip.

I was there August 2001, just before 9/11.. hopefully, nothings changed since then...more or less...

I've been to Nova Scotia, and Vancouver as my Canadian experiences... all positive. Great folks.

I'm ready to go again, hey!

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Go up the east side of Idaho and head west on highway 12 over LOLO PASS

then head NW and go over Highway 20 (North Cascade highway)

and you will get to ride two of the best roads in the Country :thumbup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Canada

Have been to B. C. & Alberta a couple of times, not near enough times to see all the beautiful country, lakes, mountains,& rivers. But as Q. D. states therw are also all those areas in Washington. Then onto Oregon which I have had the pleasure of riding the last few years. Look up some of IRHARRY"s posts on Oregon & you will see some great scenery.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Wow, some nasty comments here! :roll: I was born in Vancouver and it's one of the most beautiful and clean cities you will ever want to visit! It's a shame you have given yourself so little time for this trip . . . after Vancouver, you need to get over to Vancouver Island and cruise to Victoria, Nanaimo, then Parksville, Qualicum Beach, April Point, Tofino, and Long Beach. It is a spectacular ride . . . right on the ocean! To miss this would be like going to California and not riding along the ocean! :wrong: Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Go up the east side of Idaho and head west on highway 12 over LOLO PASS then head NW and go over Highway 20 (North Cascade highway) and you will get to ride two of the best roads in the Country :thumbup:

Do that! :agree: Then south to Windy Ridge and FSR 25 and 90. They have been rated as a some of the top 10 in the US of A. 25 has gotten a little rough over the years and Windy Ridge usually has a few rocks in the road, but both are still awesome rides!!

Then do Oregon with Harry and northern California with Dale C.

Does he have to skip Rattlesnake??? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts