GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All three posts are stripped on papas 2002 righthand Trunk Tail light Assembly :cry:

Can only assume the vulcanization of posts are stripped from assembly plastic,
crown nuts just keep turning and nothing comes free.

Any of you fine folks have a solution to this issue? :bow:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Use a cordless drill and try to spin the nuts while pulling on the light assembly. The drill will melt the plastic around the studs. Since all three are stripped, you may have a problem pulling on the assembly. Try one at a time and see if you can pull them with needle nose pliers one at a time. If and when you get them out, use JB weld to re-glue the studs. A little rubber washer on each stud and stop tightening them when you feel resistance. They don't really have to be that tight.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Those dang crowned nuts bottom out against the end of the stud so they are locked to the stud. After you get things torn apart, grind the top off the nuts and, or add an extra washer under the nut to keep it from happening again.

Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Been a problem since the 01's came out.

Thank goodness for this forum. :thumbup:
Right after I got my 05' I read where it was a problem, and went out and loosened them all about 1/4 turn.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
All three posts are stripped on papas 2002 righthand Trunk Tail light Assembly :cry:

Can only assume the vulcanization of posts are stripped from assembly plastic,
crown nuts just keep turning and nothing comes free.

Any of you fine folks have a solution to this issue? :bow:
What are you needing to accomplish? You don't need to remove the assembly to replace bulbs.
Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts