GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, can anyone remember the article where someone showed Step-By-Step instructions on placing a Clear Hose inside the Truck Rubber to prevent the horrible wear,,,
I mainly just need the size and length of the inner Clear Hose used.? but I thought I would SAVE the whole bit for friends who have 1800's

Thanks for your time

For your info and to rub it in I guess, here in Western Australia we can ride all year round,,, when I see artricles on ""How to winterize your Bike"" etc,, it really makes me feel how lucky we are down under

Peter Warren

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hi Pete,
Here is a link to the article, but pay attention to his using black fuel line hose instead of the clear tubing. Tubing size doesn't have to be exact, I think I used some slightly larger. :wink:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800trunklidfix.htm

Good Luck!

·
Chard Member
13,044 Posts
I use 1/4" OD aquarium tubing. I also put soft velcro inside the trunk lid because the nubs will still wear. The tubing just keeps the lid from closing too far when a passenger is leaning against it.

FYI..... If you use a tubing that is too stiff you'll never get the lid closed! LOL... :(

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I got some velcro that has the sticky backing--- the soft half... 3/4" wide... put it on the upper part of the lid all the way around... no wear anywhere with 14K miles on my 05 Wing...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The company that makes the PakIt Rak has a product called 'Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers' (no, I'm not making this up) that costs something under eight bucks and solves the problem perfectly. Check it out here;

http://www.dixonymachine.com/RBBB.htm

Good luck with the fix. I hope this helps. :D

I

·
0 Posts
All of the above solutions can give you problems closing your trunk and having it latch easily, or can create leaks due to gaps in the trunk seal. Some are clearly visible externally when the trunk is closed, and look like c**p.

Apply duct tape as shown in the following pics. Invisible when the trunk is closed and has been on for over 2 years. Works great. No more "trunk rub" dust. Cheap and easy to do.

At the time, I used the grey tape. The new clear duct tape would work even better.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rubber baby buggy bumpers

I got the bumpers as gwlrhfarm linked. They work well for me.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just an added thought. I went to Home Depot and got some felt strips that are peel and stick. Placed them on the trunk lid and no problems since.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used the 7mm fuel line hose. Lubed it up good with a silicone spray and worked throught gasket in the trunk lid. NOTE: DO NOT run it all the way around. Just put enough in to go down the sides of the lid. If you run the hose across the back the trunk is difficult to close.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Honda did a recall (fix) on this subject awhile back. Clear teflon tape was their answer. It worked for some time but I think I will try the sticky velcro on the inside of the lid. Looks like the duct tape will work also. Maybe it will cure the rattles too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I added the self stick velcro yesterday and it seems to work great. Very easy to install, about $4.00 cost. It is a little tight right now, so need to give it a extra nudge to close and press down some to open, but I expect that it will compress some with time. Also makes a nice solid sound when we close it now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
OK, I put 3/4" soft velcro all the way around the inside of the trunk lid as suggested by Cosmic Chariot. The lid is hard to close now, but I have been able to get it to latch by pulling back on the backrest of the passenger seat.

As long as this doesn't cause the latches to break, I'm okay with this. Can any of you who use the velcro solution tell me if I need to worry?
Or will the fit correct itself a bit over time as the velcro is flattened down by the pressure of a closed lid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
jcarney84 said:
OK, I put 3/4" soft velcro all the way around the inside of the trunk lid...
It's not necessary to use Velcro all the way around. One-inch square pieces (with a small hole punched in the center) on the inside of the lip of the lid in line with the alignment points work fine.

Concerning closing the lid with the seatback...that works fine too.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Re: Help with Trunk Wear and Fix

jer31822 said:
DT
What's thepurpose of the small hole punched in the velcro?
As the Velcro is used to prevent excessive wear marks and help alignment the lid, I punch the holes to reduce the amount of wear of the alignment tabs themselves.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts