GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately the forks on my 2008 GL1800 have been transferring a lot of shock through the handlebars. Upon inspection it appears that the forks compress about 2 inches then they hydraulic lock. I called Progressive and was told to send them in and they would repair them and send them back. This takes my bike out of service for a minimum of two weeks and is not acceptable to me. When i asked them to send me a new set and i would return the old ones I was advised that they would not do this. Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this as i don't want to put the old dampers in just to replace with the repaired cartridges in 2-3 weeks. Is this poor customer service on their part or am i being unreasonable?
Long time lurker,first time poster. Been riding Wings since 1983, over 750,000 miles. Thanks for your help.
Mike

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I think some members have been able to go to vender that they purchased set though and purchase another set and on return of removed set were refunded the money.

·
Registered
483 Posts
First of all, even though you have been a member for a year, I see this is your first post, so, WELCOME to the gl1800riders forum. You are in the right place, as there will be many members here who will chime in with their experiences and offers of help.
I have experienced similar symptoms as yours with my front suspension. The first thing I did shortly after buying the bike in 2009 was I disabled the anti-dive valve on the left fork to eliminate the harshness of the suspension. I did this by adding a shim between the bottom half and top half of the valve assembly. I eventually cut the pin(?) right off on the inside of the assembly because I don't ever want to use the ADV again. As I started to put more miles on the bike, and ride it harder, I noticed that I was starting to bottom out the forks quite often. This was mostly occurring when the roads were getting rough from the frost heaves in the winter. (Yes, some of us even enjoy getting out on their bikes year round.) Anyway, I really didn't care for the way that Honda has the fork suspension set up, so, spring of 2013 I installed the Progressive Monotube system and that made all the difference in the world. The Monotubes are easy to install if you have a few of the basic tools and a work bench to do it on. The one thing that I did notice after awhile is that the rear suspension was lacking in support and needed attention also. So, this year I replaced the rear shock assembly with an assembly off a 2013. I have read here that this newer shock assembly has a stiffer spring, but, I don't know how it rides yet, as I am recovering from a double level fusion of C-6, C-7 and T-1 vertebra and I have not ridden at all this year and I won't find out when I can ride until July 22, at my next appointment.
I hope you are able to find a solution to your harsh ride and I am sure there will be others that will share their experiences, which will help you in making an informative decision on what to do next.
And, again, WELCOME to the forum, neighbor. Ride safe and keep the rubber side down.:thumbup:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Problems

With all the problems with monotubes, I'm surprised they haven't stopped making them till they get it right. A master tech who use to submit here, told me to install Hyperpro springs from Sweden. No problems and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
This could just be a sticking anti-dive, and nothing to do with your forks. You might try rebuilding, or disabling the anti-dive to see if it helps. It should be a pretty easy test. If that doesn't work, I would try to deal with the vendor you purchased the tubes from, and see if they will help you out.

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
Lately the forks on my 2008 GL1800 have been transferring a lot of shock through the handlebars. Upon inspection it appears that the forks compress about 2 inches then they hydraulic lock. I called Progressive and was told to send them in and they would repair them and send them back. This takes my bike out of service for a minimum of two weeks and is not acceptable to me. When i asked them to send me a new set and i would return the old ones I was advised that they would not do this. Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this as i don't want to put the old dampers in just to replace with the repaired cartridges in 2-3 weeks. Is this poor customer service on their part or am i being unreasonable?
Long time lurker,first time poster. Been riding Wings since 1983, over 750,000 miles. Thanks for your help.
Mike
So you do have progressive monotubes installed on your 2008 wing ? Your post never specifically says that.
Did progressive ask for any proof that you have monotubes ?
I am not surprised that they would not just ship you a new set without getting the old ones back first, if they did that folks would be complaining and wanting new monotubes all the time .
I do agree that 2 week turn around is way to long .
Fortunately my monotubes have about 50,000 miles and so far they have been trouble free .

·
Registered
718 Posts
I re installed the stock system in and sent the Monotubes back and that way I was not down while waiting?? I know not everyone will have the stock system sitting on the shelf for this to work

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I would ask progressive if you could buy another set, then send your's, once they are repaired see if you can return the others?

When did you buy your mt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your input. I have disabled the anti dive, never liked it anyway. I am going to do more diagnostics this weekend. I am rather disappointed with the response I received from Progressive, I have been using their products for years on other Wings. I was very happy with the Monotube performance and have installed their rear shock spring also. Worst case scenario is to go back to stock while I wait for them to repair and send the Monotubes back, just a lot of work. 2wheeldad, I see that we are indeed neighbors, thanks for your input, hopefully we will meet some day soon. Heck, we may even know each other! Recently went to a Michelin Alpin run flat and LOVE it! Need to get this suspension working properly, I will keep you advised as to the outcome. Thanks again to all of you for your help.
Mike

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks all for your input. I have disabled the anti dive, never liked it anyway. I am going to do more diagnostics this weekend. I am rather disappointed with the response I received from Progressive, I have been using their products for years on other Wings. I was very happy with the Monotube performance and have installed their rear shock spring also. Worst case scenario is to go back to stock while I wait for them to repair and send the Monotubes back, just a lot of work. 2wheeldad, I see that we are indeed neighbors, thanks for your input, hopefully we will meet some day soon. Heck, we may even know each other! Recently went to a Michelin Alpin run flat and LOVE it! Need to get this suspension working properly, I will keep you advised as to the outcome. Thanks again to all of you for your help.
Mike
Mike, I am glad to hear you have disabled the anti-dive valve to see how your bike performs without it. It is a quick and easy thing to do without a lot of hassle. I was thinking that maybe the ADV was sticking alittle so that there was a delayed reaction to the lock-up and instead of holding the bike level before the dive, the valve would close and hold the fork position after the dive. Either that or some damage or debris in the fork tubes, but I think likely the ADV. I never did like the ADV holding in any position, so that is why I disabled it within weeks after purchasing the bike.
Just a few words about my forks...When I removed my forks, I could compress one of the forks easily by hand and the other one took quite a bit more of my body weight when pressing it down onto the floor, but still was quite easy. With the monotubes installed, I cannot compress the individual fork tubes completely while using my body weight, probably because I only weigh in at 170 lbs. They are much more supportive in that respect and I have not had any problems with them and I am very happy in how they perform. I did not install any of the supplied shims when I did the conversion to the monotubes, but again, I didn't think I needed them because I am not very big and I am glad that I didn't put them in.
I see you are trying out the Alpin.I have been running the Kumho RF and thought I was going to wear it out last year, so I mounted an Alpin RF on my spare rim last spring. Well, I have 15k miles on the Kumho and with all my medical problems, I have not had the chance to ride much. Only a few thousand miles last year and have yet to get the bike out this year. So, the Kumho will probably be on the rest of this year, unless someone wears it out for me. The Kumho was a big improvement over the Bridgestone G704 I was running and I suspect the Alpin to be an improvement over the Kumho. I think you made a really good choice going with the Alpin for your first CT.
Ride safe.:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts