GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed my 2018 goldwing tour dct oil and oil filter and clutch filter and rear end oil yesterday for first time with just under 4000 miles.read service manual and watched fred harmon video but after putting in 4.9 qt the dipstick read about half way between full and add. so took it off the center stand thinking that may have affected it but no change and this was after ruuning a few minutes and with engine off 10 min.then i rode it about 5 miles and checked it again after adding the 95 ml i did not put in at first to make it 5 qts total and after riding 5 miles the dipstick is on add?i did ADD THE OIL TO OIL FILTER BEFORE PUTTING NEW OIL FILTER ON as he did in video and only diff was i added dimple magnetic drain plugs to the 3 drain plugs i removed. any suggestions?adding the oil to the filter first (which i have never done before) should not affect the dipstick reading ?\

·
Registered
471 Posts
changed my 2018 goldwing tour dct oil and oil filter and clutch filter and rear end oil yesterday for first time with just under 4000 miles.read service manual and watched fred harmon video but after putting in 4.9 qt the dipstick read about half way between full and add. so took it off the center stand thinking that may have affected it but no change and this was after ruuning a few minutes and with engine off 10 min.then i rode it about 5 miles and checked it again after adding the 95 ml i did not put in at first to make it 5 qts total and after riding 5 miles the dipstick is on add?i did ADD THE OIL TO OIL FILTER BEFORE PUTTING NEW OIL FILTER ON as he did in video and only diff was i added dimple magnetic drain plugs to the 3 drain plugs i removed. any suggestions?adding the oil to the filter first (which i have never done before) should not affect the dipstick reading ?\

Do not wait 10 minutes to check oil. The dipstick is NOT at the bottom of the pan like a Chevy motor.

Page 154 of manual...

1. If the engine is cold, idle the engine for
3 to 5 minutes.
2. Turn the ignition switch OFF and wait
for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Place your motorcycle in an upright
position on a firm, level surface.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the dipstick until it seats, but don't
screw it in.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Isn’t half way between full and add, exactly where you want it? That is where I try to keep mine.

·
Registered
783 Posts
May I respectfully make a suggestion?

It would help if you specify in your title what you need help with.

Rather than just typing "Help", something like, "Help - dipstick level after oil change" would make your request for assistance much more understandable.

Kind regards.

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
What Jefro1 said!! Critical to follow owner's manual oil check procedure. Many bikes have VERY specific procedure. Example: Before my '18 GW Tour, I came from a BMW K1600. If not warmed up, put bike on center stand. Idle until cooling fan cycles ON, let it run ONE minute, turn bike off. Wait ONE minute, then check oil level. Same deal as our GWs, remove dipstick, wipe it clean, reinsert until it bottoms but don't screw it in. Remove and read true oil level. Continual stories on the K1600 forum how people didn't follow procedure, led to over-filled oil, had it overflowing from crankcase breather hose into air cleaner, etc. I still have a BMW R1200GSA- different procedure; no dipstick, has a sight glass near bottom of engine on right side with a red circle on it. Told to fill oil to MIDDLE of circle. Below circle, critically low, top of circle too high. Middle of circle bike runs and shifts best (engine & tranny share oil). Difference between top and bottom of circle is, you guessed it, one quart. Please let us know what the level is after trying it the "Honda way". I'd be interested in the result.

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
Checking the oil on this bike is very finicky and can result in misleading you into thinking there is not enough oil in the bike. As pointed out above, you have to follow the recommendations in the owners manual on checking the oil to the letter. If you drained all the oil and replaced the filter and put in 4.9 quarts, the level is correct, regardless of what the dipstick tells you.

Attachments

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
Years ago had a bike with a "window" on side of motor where you could just look and read level !

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a terrible design by Honda!

You can chalk this up to user error, or 'should have read the manual' all you want, but at the end of the day, simple things like this should be intuitive.

As an engineer, you design it so that it works the way a user would expect it- don't try to bend the user to your will.

And jkoval- I'd expect a procedure that complicated from the Germans, but not from the Japanese!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks,i assume ur the author of the videos i bought and referred to but not sure?.never owned anything that was that precise in timing on checking oil level and never had goldwing before but had 2 valkyries that i did all maintenance except change brakes and tires. in the future video u might explain that on your video which would help dummies like me.do i need to drain some oil as i put in 5 qts after the false reading.but not sure if it matters which drain plug to drain from or if it matters which one.thanks for your help and one last question,i am 72 and not computer savvy and have trouble pulling up your video so is their a way i can download onto a sd card or dvd to make it easier or is that restricted . this explains why my friend who had a goldwing trike complained that oil levels were never the same when checking as i guess he never knew this was a precise timing issue with goldwings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
level close to full after running 4 min and set 3 min so timing is precise which was not emphasized or missed somehow in both manuals and video which led to my error. had 2 valkyries and did all maintenance and never had this issue which now explains why my friend with a goldwing trike was so confused when he checked the oil level that was always diff.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What a terrible design by Honda!

You can chalk this up to user error, or 'should have read the manual' all you want, but at the end of the day, simple things like this should be intuitive.

As an engineer, you design it so that it works the way a user would expect it- don't try to bend the user to your will.

And jkoval- I'd expect a procedure that complicated from the Germans, but not from the Japanese!
There are many vehicles that use a similar procedure for checking oil. In my car, I need to bring the oil up to at least 175 degrees, shut the engine down and then wait at least five minutes but no more than ten before checking the oil level.

If you relate "intuitive" to simply pulling the stick and looking at the level when cold, you can do this on a new Goldwing as well. First do the check according to the manual and make sure the level is where it should be. Now, with the engine cold, pull the stick and note where the oil is on the stick. If I pull the stick on a cold engine and the first .25" of the stick has oil on it, my level is good. I can't do this on the car because it has a dry sump and shows nothing on the stick when it's cold.

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fred, i donot do facebook, twitter and other bird sounds but i really appreciate your feed back and hope i did not offend you with suggestion in future to high lite info on timing of oil change as critical for accurate measurement. if you have responded to my reply about should i now drain the 95 ml i added to make 5 qts total (ie is it critical i do that) and what drain plug is the best to use if any of the 3 makes a difference due my misunderstanding the timing was so critical, then i apologize as either i can not find your response as i have trouble with this website navigation or you did not send one yet. my second question was regarding restrictions on downloading your videos i purchased and what method you recommend to make it easier to access your videos.my cell no is 615-653-1358 if that is better way to communicate for you as it certainly is for me.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I am not Fred, but most all of us use that "extra" tenth of a quart. In my experience, it does not flood the oil over the full line. Like another responder, I also have a mental image of the correct "cold" dip stick reading when the bike has been parked while running on center stand (make sure rear wheel has stopped before turning off) and left to cool.

prs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts