GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get the wing in the basement (walk out style of course) before the snow flys and the mirrors need to come off to do so. Won't be getting a hold of a service manual until end of November so if anyone has one. Could you please look into what is involved in removing them.

It's either that or I take out the slding glass door & replace it with french doors. But I think it would be a lot cheaper just taking the mirrors off if it isn't a major project.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Piece of cake, I'll send you some pics here in a bit. Remove three screws and unplug one electrical connector.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
ss1,

Do you know that the mirrors pivot if you push on them with some force, just like they do on most cars today. You may be able to gain enough width reduction to get it through the door without actually removing them.
Might be worth a look and a measurement.
They will pivot in both directions.
If you decide to remove them, stuff a rag down in the opening under the mirrrors in case you drop a bolt or something. Many have found this to be a useful precaution.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Hell... just ride it through the door, they'll come right off.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Texas Black Bird said:
Hell... just ride it through the door, they'll come right off.
You and I think a lot alike.

Take a run at it and you won't even notice them leaving the bike ... plus, you will have a nice winter project on your hands.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Why not just ride it down to Florida and keep riding all Winter?

Or be like Tommy and a lot of others and ride in the snow...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had know idea ...........

CJS said:
ss1,

Do you know that the mirrors pivot if you push on them with some force, just like they do on most cars today. You may be able to gain enough width reduction to get it through the door without actually removing them.
Might be worth a look and a measurement.
They will pivot in both directions.
If you decide to remove them, stuff a rag down in the opening under the mirrrors in case you drop a bolt or something. Many have found this to be a useful precaution.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look into that further when I get home tonight. I don't remember seeing any mention of that feature in the owners manual, but if they both fold in that might just be sufficient enough to get through the door.

·
Registered
373 Posts
you can remove them like a guy where I work removed one from his K1200. Just drop it in the parking lot. Knocked the mirror right off!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts