GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Left the house in Hillside,Il at 8:30 Sunday morning with 35-45 mph head winds on I55 south headed for St.Louis. 1st gas stop at 175 miles when the low fuel light came on. Filled with 5.4 gallons. speed was mostly steady 70 mph on cruise. Arrived at Sis house and will be sight seeing several days with her before getting back on the bike. Noticed no need to down shift for slight over passes or hills. All good so far,will report when back on the road in several days.
Billy

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Was the tank full when you left? 5.4 g for 175 mi would imply what, 32 mpg?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Agreed, just curious about the total picture.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes, tank was full as normal and the head wind was steady the entire way to St. Louis. I-55 is know in the state to be windy in the Northerly direction or Southerly direction most of the time. Cruise control was set and in operation about 95% of the 175 miles. I would think this was a fair example of highway speed,high head wind mileage. I do run stock windshield in the fully lowered position. Have been off the bike since Sunday using the car as the sister will not ride on the bike.Headed out Wednesday for St. Joe to visit Pony Express Museum and Jesse James home then onto K.C. and sites. Please ask any questions so this can be a useful comparison of drives!

·
Registered
954 Posts
70 MPH into a headwind will dramatically affect MPG.
There is an old myth about Goldwings and the 3000+ RPM being the place where mileage is greatly reduced -
I maintain it is aerodynamic drag that is the greatest reduction of MPG -
Case in point - even with the new Modified final drive , which causes RPMs to drop (I think under 3000 or right near at 70MPH) the MPG is reduced from additional aerodynamic drag.
Conversely one can run twisty roads all day long at 3500+ RPM (but 30-50 MPH) and get great MPG .

I own a Henrys drive on my Wing -
I have not seen great changes in MPG in either direction -
But I did not buy it for that reason (it would be a nice bonus) -
Driveability is my main reason - Lower RPMs in1st and all through the gears ;)

My 2 ¢

·
Administrator
4,075 Posts
70 MPH into a headwind will dramatically affect MPG.
There is an old myth about Goldwings and the 3000+ RPM being the place where mileage is greatly reduced -
I maintain it is aerodynamic drag that is the greatest reduction of MPG -
Case in point - even with the new Modified final drive , which causes RPMs to drop (I think under 3000 or right near at 70MPH) the MPG is reduced from additional aerodynamic drag.
Conversely one can run twisty roads all day long at 3500+ RPM (but 30-50 MPH) and get great MPG .

YES! I often get on my soapbox about aerodynamic drag being the culprit, not rpms. I once did a detailed test of running in 4th gear versus 5th gear to test my theory. I proved it to myself, but Doubting Thomases didn't buy it.

Glen

·
Love The DCT
12,448 Posts
YES! I often get on my soapbox about aerodynamic drag being the culprit, not rpms. I once did a detailed test of running in 4th gear versus 5th gear to test my theory. I proved it to myself, but Doubting Thomases didn't buy it.

Glen
Agree with Glockjock. Doubling the speed results in the quadrupling of the aerodynamic drag.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I know you have more miles on Goldwings than I may ever accumulate, however --

My worthless opinion is that changing the final drive gear ratio will gain nothing more than a lighter wallet.
While that would be the obvious first choice I disagree -

I decided to try it - Yes my wallet is lighter (but I can always change it back and sell the final for some of my money back)
My reasons are this;
-- I wanted to be able to not shift mid way through an intersection as I turn left from a stop in 1st gear [Check]
-- The lower RPMs do make the bike more driveable for me in the twistys as I am now mostly in the right gear rather than shifting Up/down/Up/down in different turns [check]
-- Less RPMs on the highway seemed to make sense - running 500-600 RPMs less now 80 MPH is within reach easily [check]
-- I have the money so I ain't worried - I have spent money on other foolish things as well [check]
-- MAYBE I will realize better MPG on backroads, and low speed county highways (around 60mph) - but so far not [Undecided]

Motorcycling is a hobby - There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle - Goldwings are the best
Trying new things have led us to many innovations and upgrades on these bikes too ;)
Better windscreens; custom seats; Darkside Riders; Highway pegs, etc etc.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Been having problems with connections will update last two days Friday Billy
Pop

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sorry about all the delay in posting updates but have been having internet connection problems for days. I am now in Roswell New Mexico with family and no internet problems. Update as follows left St. Louis area on Wednesday morning heading to St. Joe filled up in bowling green mo on may 5. 15,380 miles on odometer light for fuel on at 195 on trip filled with 5.9 gallons next stop for fuel Dearborn mo may 5 at 15,611 light on a 195 trip filled with 6.5 gallons 230 miles next stop wamego ks may 6 15,800 5.4 gallons next stop Ellenwood ks may 7 15,991 5.6 gallons next on may8 Dodge city ks 16,130 4.2 gallons next stop Boise Oklahoma may 8 16315 5.5 gallons but head winds Raton new Mexico on may 9 16441 head winds 4.1 gallons next stop Hereford Texas on may 9 16,658 filled with 5.6 gallons no wind cruising set 75mph Resting up and visiting for awhile before heading out towards 4 corners and monument valley. Will do my best to make updates timely but internet spotty. This is a month long trip so hang with me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Sorry about all the delay in posting updates but have been having internet connection problems for days. I am now in Roswell New Mexico with family and no internet problems. Update as follows left St. Louis area on Wednesday morning heading to St. Joe filled up in bowling green mo on may 5. 15,380 miles on odometer light for fuel on at 195 on trip filled with 5.9 gallons next stop for fuel Dearborn mo may 5 at 15,611 light on a 195 trip filled with 6.5 gallons 230 miles next stop wamego ks may 6 15,800 5.4 gallons next stop Ellenwood ks may 7 15,991 5.6 gallons next on may8 Dodge city ks 16,130 4.2 gallons next stop Boise Oklahoma may 8 16315 5.5 gallons but head winds Raton new Mexico on may 9 16441 head winds 4.1 gallons next stop Hereford Texas on may 9 16,658 filled with 5.6 gallons no wind cruising set 75mph Resting up and visiting for awhile before heading out towards 4 corners and monument valley. Will do my best to make updates timely but internet spotty. This is a month long trip so hang with me.
What I glean from this is:
Seven fill-up totaling 37.0 gallons
Total miles of 1278 miles
You are averaging 34.5 mpg for the trip so far.

Is that about right?

So, have you experienced any problems Any oil leakage from the final drive? Any drips out the bottom drain hole?

·
Registered
954 Posts
What I glean from this is:
Seven fill-up totaling 37.0 gallons
Total miles of 1278 miles
You are averaging 34.5 mpg for the trip so far.

Is that about right?

So, have you experienced any problems Any oil leakage from the final drive? Any drips out the bottom drain hole?
At 75 MPH -- ? Seems normalish to me - No big advantage on MPG at lower RPMs at 75+/- MPH
About what I have experienced thus far also however I have very limited miles on my new modified final drive to date

·
Registered
144 Posts
21 - 40 of 85 Posts