GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
May 11 fill up in Roswll at 16860 lite on at 202 mi took 5.4 gal. Filled up at artesia 17087 lite. On at 227 took5.5 gallons May 12 17273 4.8 gal may12 17406 no lite 3.3 gal In Gallup n.m. for the night will fill I the a.m. no leaks lots of elevation changes today best true mileage that I have gotten on either of my 1800 my 07 wing had 4 mph error on the speedometer

·
Registered
431 Posts
The most accurate speed-o-healer I have found is a GPS mounted on the handlebars. Very accurate and transfers from bike to bike and from bike to car :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Glockjock after I installed the speed healer I tested it against my garmin's and with a police radar unit that a police friend was set up on a local. Speedometer on bike is dead on.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Left Gallup New Mexico this morning at 17553 on bike and not empty tank. Filled up with 4 gallons and left for Blanding Utah had to fill up as soon as I could because I didn't believe the trip meter or milage 4.2 gallons and ran 197 miles odometer road 17747. How is that for mileage

·
Registered
980 Posts
Left Gallup New Mexico this morning at 17553 on bike and not empty tank. Filled up with 4 gallons and left for Blanding Utah had to fill up as soon as I could because I didn't believe the trip meter or milage 4.2 gallons and ran 197 miles odometer road 17747. How is that for mileage
The math says you had a good tailwind!

·
Registered
954 Posts
These mileage reports are nice to see -
I wish I knew the average speed during the tank fill up as well .
I expect the modified final to do really well at 55-65 MPH -
But at 70+ the aerodynamic drag will be the biggest factor to less than excellent MPG
Thanks for the information sharing

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
38 Posts
YES! I often get on my soapbox about aerodynamic drag being the culprit, not rpms. I once did a detailed test of running in 4th gear versus 5th gear to test my theory. I proved it to myself, but Doubting Thomases didn't buy it.

Glen
Interesting Glen! Did you post the results and process?

Max

·
Administrator
4,075 Posts
Interesting Glen! Did you post the results and process?

Max

Yes I did. I just searched and found it, and see that was way back in July 2011. I'll paste a link to that thread, and I'll ask that any comments be posted on THAT thread, not in this thread. I do not want to hijack this excellent discussion. There are reasons other than gas mileage for wanting a higher gear ratio.

The Goldwing DOES NOT need a 6th gear | GL1800Riders Forums

·
Registered
144 Posts
My sole reason in buying a Henry drive had nothing to do with mileage.

I always felt the gearing was all wrong.

Quick but wrong.

I don't shift as much with the Henry drive as I did with the OEM drive.

I only use 5th gear on the Interstates.

When I need to pass cages in a hurry, 4th is my gear of choice, because it's like the energizer bunny.

It keeps pulling and pulling without screaming for 5th or a 6th gear.. if you follow me?.

The best money return, I ever put into this 1800.

Chrome don't get you home. A Henry drive will..:)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
As I stated in the beginning of this thread, I have a heavy throttle hand but to be an accurate test speed have consistently 70 to 75 and on cruise control at all times unless hindered by traffic that I pass as soon as possible, sometimes exceeding 80 just to get buy quickly. I had no tail wind with the last mileage post just flat open road. If wind is a factor I will mention it. Today filled up in Blanding at 17,912 with4.2 gallons no light filled up at end of day 4.7 gallons no light 18,122 . In this test so far head winds drastically affect mileage as speeds of 70 to 75 seem to have little impact on mileage. That is just a fact so far. I have 3,000 more .miles before I get back to Illinois so let's just keep following along and compile more data. No tricks like coasting down hill or turning off the bike. I do have to downshift on longer uphill grades just so I don't lug the engine. Cheapest 87 octane gas being used.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Left Blanding may 15 drove to Spanish Fork Utah low fuel light came on at 225 miles on the A trip continued on for fuel and filled up with 5.5 gallons and 248 miles 18,122 when I left Blanding and 18,370 when filled up at Spanish Fork. That was with numerous changes in elevation., no noticeable winds light traffic. Did not expect this much gain in mph.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Left Blanding may 15 drove to Spanish Fork Utah low fuel light came on at 225 miles on the A trip continued on for fuel and filled up with 5.5 gallons and 248 miles 18,122 when I left Blanding and 18,370 when filled up at Spanish Fork. That was with numerous changes in elevation., no noticeable winds light traffic. Did not expect this much gain in mph.
That calculates to about 45 MPG .
I think SOME of the better mileage could be due to altitude -
My bikes always do better when at altitude - sometimes shockingly better

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Taking a few days off for graduation of grand daughter and hanging with grand sons no bike for a few day

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Arrived in Perry Utah may 15 no light 18,564 miles took 5.0 gallons and 194 on trip A 80 to 85 mph was speed limit that was what I ran some wind final stop before visit with grandkids was Kimberly Idaho may 16 light on at 199 .miles trip A filled at18,779 with 5.8 gallons again running 80 to 85 mph on cruise control windy and some grades. Heading out Thursday for east entrance to Yellowstone and cody for a few days. Weather has been good and having fun.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hard riding the last few days,low 30to mid 40 temps wind and ran,even snow going into Cody Wy after a day in the Tetons and Yellowstone. Gas usage and mileage follows.
May 20, 18,878 no light 5.7 gallons 212 miles may 20 19,208 light at198 5.8 gallons may20. 19,409 no light 4.3 gallons 180 miles
May 21 19546 no light 3.6 gallons
May 21. 19709 no light 3.6 gallons
Cody Wy may 22. 19826 3.o gallons
Buffalo Wy may 22 20,003 no light 4.9 gallons
Newcastle may 22. 20,154 miles 150 trip 4.1 gallons
Now resting in Hillcity outside of Mt. Rushmore sightseeing tomorrow then heading to Rapid City and points East. Final driv

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Got up Sunday morning weather has all the sights socked in so decided to head east. Weather was not better and winds were high with 80 mph speed limit.

First stop wall drug 20,308 miles on odometer 154 miles on trip A no light 4.1 gallons with spearfish and a little sightseeing Chamberlain next gas at 20,461 miles and 153 on trip A filling tank with 5.3 gallons riding at constant 80mph but still high gusty winds on I 90 East
Stopped at Laverne mn for gas,the night and visit museum
20,621 on odometer 160 on trip A no light add 5.0 gallons fuel. Wind and speed will kill gas mileage OEM or Henry final drive.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Final day will be home in Hillside Il tonight. St.Charles Mn 20844 on odometer light on trip A 210 filled up at 223 6 gallons may 24
Janesville Wisc. 21055 on odometer trip A light on at 200 miles 5.8 gallons 210miles traveled
Hillside Illinois 21,156 no light topped off tank with 2.3 gallons
Total gallons gas 171,2
Total miles 23 days 6156
Average mileage 35.9
Worst mileage 28.0
Best mileage. 45.0
Just one bike,one man,one trip. I know from riding my 2007, and my 2016 with OEM final drive at 70mph and above 223 on trip A was about the best using about 6,3 gallons.
Henry's drive performed great, grade ability was no not an issue when in the right gear and was noticeably smoother in 1st gear. The 4 to 5 mile increase per gallon at times was a pleasant surprise. One upcoming trip with several other OEM 1800 will be another report come the middle of August. This test closed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bndiii, I have enjoyed following your adventure. That was one heck of a test for the final drive, and your posterior. I must admit, even tho I found your mpg observations informative, I was hoping you would give us some more insight of how the final drive performed over all. Are you still glad you bought it? Does it still make you smile?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Bndiii, I have enjoyed following your adventure. That was one heck of a test for the final drive, and your posterior. I must admit, even tho I found your mpg observations informative, I was hoping you would give us some more insight of how the final drive performed over all. Are you still glad you bought it? Does it still make you smile?
I do not have the impressive number of miles on my Henrys Final Drive yet - But I have enough to give some insights I think --

My desired outcomes when I purchased the modified final drive are as follow:

Lower gearing from start in 1st - not having to shift mid-way through an intersection (especially when turning left) -- CHECK!
Lower RPMS at higher interstate MPH - CHECK !
Gear change making the twistys less shifting - (being in the correct gear) - CHECK !
Longer run up in RPMs in 2nd & 3rd & 4th - (I can stay in those gears farther) - CHECK!

Better MPG - Not realized
At least it's not any worse - and My MPGs ARE slightly better (about 1-2 MPG)
But not enough to realize any ROI on the Final Drive -
So in my experience this would be a false economy

But the final does so many other things well it was worth the money - mostly because I had it to spend -
because instead of buying the newest Wing out there I own a low mileage 2002 -
And have put the money into accessories - like the modified final drive -
AND - If I ever tire of it I still have the original Final in the garage and can change it back - and sell the Modified final for a portion of the cost -

Unintended consequence --
LESS Engine Braking - I find I need to work the brakes a bit more to slow down instead of just shutting the throttle --
No big deal - just an observation

Currently I have around 3500 miles TOTAL on the drive - Mostly local commuting and country road riding for pleasure

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Don, as I stated several times, it is less touchy in first gear and yes the left turn getting your foot scraped is gone. If you are passing slower traffic I do feel you should downshift to complete your pass in a safer time frame. Down hill engine braking is not as good but in the twisties it seem to run smoother. Other then that and noticed increase in range when long term cruising,what other performance benefits are you interested in finding out about

41 - 60 of 85 Posts