GL1800Riders Forums banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Well my my. The expert has spoken. Look where the U S is on the list. It is true that the US never had a complete lockdown, thank god. However the big population centers have. How has NY, NJ, MA, and MD done. They sure have instituted severe lockdowns. The economy has suffered immensely and IMHO way more than the threat required. Over time I think my trepidation against a lockdown based upon totally overblown projections has been proven correct. It is possible to be concerned about the virus, while being concerned about the economic calamity the draconian executive orders have wrought. Yes we have over a million confirmed cases of COVID-19 but we have 34 million people unemployed. When is enough enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whoa there big fella.

·
Registered
893 Posts
True, but a little misleading. Sweden has only a fraction of the population density of most of the counties on that list. Another factor is that most of those countries on that list only closed the door when the horses were already out of the barn, They closed because of the infection rate, not to preemptively stop it. The US has never issued a national lockdown, and it's been piecemeal in the states that have, so it's not a good example.

The more accurate comparison would be with Swedens neighbors who share similar population density, age of population, and cultural behavior.
Their neighbors are only TWO: Finland and Norway.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
We're all on the same side here. Everybody wants desperately to get back to normal. Some people want to move faster than others. We can have honest differences without assuming dark, ulterior motives. Just because they can't do that in Washington doesn't mean we can't set them a better example and do it here.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Whoa there big fella.
Are you offended? If so I assume that you aren’t suffering from a lockdown. If you are working, good for you. However if you are watching a business go down the tubes as is my case, you might have a little more compassion. I have 22 years of my life wrapped up in my one man shop. There is no unemployment for me.There is no PPP for me. My customers are hurting so I don’t look for a quick turnaround . Tell me again how great the lockdown is.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Are you offended? If so I assume that you aren’t suffering from a lockdown. If you are working, good for you. However if you are watching a business go down the tubes as is my case, you might have a little more compassion. I have 22 years of my life wrapped up in my one man shop. There is no unemployment for me.There is no PPP for me. My customers are hurting so I don’t look for a quick turnaround . Tell me again how great the lockdown is.

We all want to get back to normal, and I wish you the best. We have far more in common than we have differences, so it seems wrong to let our differences define us rather than our commonalities. Arguing among ourselves about things over which he have no control seems foolish and counter-productive. We here have no say in how lockdowns are administered.

I (wrongly) assume that it goes without saying that I have compassion for your situation, so let me say it directly: I understand and share your grief and despair at seeing a life's work and a family's well-being threatened. How could I not? And as you are, I'm also terrfied. I'm terrified that my asthmatic, immuno-compromised wife of 49 years will lose her life. They say misery loves company. We're all together in a terrible pickle, and no one knows quite what to do, quite how to proceed. We're all trying to navigate rapids in the dark. We can best do this by working together and sharing our thoughts--and our compassion--as friends.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I too would like to say I'm sorry if I came off as insensitive to the plight of fellow Americans. As a business man I am aware of the suffering taking place. I've had commercial tenants go belly up without any prospect of recovery. I've had residential tenants unable to pay thier rent for the last two months now, while still having to keep up the expenses of the properties. I've seen moderate declines in my retail operations that have remained open because they where deemed essential. I've seen my retirement funds take the biggest hit in my working life. So I understand where everyone is coming from who want things to return to normal. And I have only the best of wishes, a deep understanding and compassion for each and every one of you.

We are in uncharted territory, opening everything up wont mean business as usual until we get a handle on this disease, or at least a better understanding on how to live with it. We all understand that this situation is untenable. But hopefully we have bought some time to move forward with the least loss of life possible.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Several contributors to this thread have bemoaned the dearth of source material on SARS-CoV-2. The following was published yesterday (May 7, 2020) in The Lancet:

For those of us who plow through this highly-technical, peer-reviewed, newly published report: It seems likely that some portion(s) of this will wind up in various media outlets. It will be interesting to see the many different ways various media outlets report and spin their stories.

Because it's been hypothesized that the eyes can be a vector of infection, I'm reading this through a ski mask.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Also this: North Texas Coronavirus Patient Goes Home From Hospital 4 Days After Remdesivir Treatment

Remdesivir is a drug developed for earlier viral infections. It showed initial promise, but then faded away.

This is one case. It's merely a hopeful sign. There's no way to know from just this whether the patient would have gotten better anyway. A formal, clinical trial of remdesivir is underway. The main, albeit anecdotal and very preliminary reports are that patients treated with remdesivir get better faster. We'll see. Wish us all luck.

Here's an explainer of how remdesivir works:

This is a quote:

"Like most antiviral drugs, remdesivir works by preventing the SARS-CoV-2 virus from making copies of itself. Instead of blocking viral receptors, remdesivir goes right after the heart of the virus: Its RNA and the polymerase enzyme that it uses to make copies of itself. Remdesivir is a nucleotide analog that mimics adenosine, one of the four building blocks of RNA and DNA. When a virus infects a cell and starts making copies of itself, remdesivir is slyly inserted into the viral genome instead of adenosine.

Once remdesivir’s nucleotide has inserted itself, the virus can try to make a copy of its RNA, but it won’t be able to. The presence of remdesivir stops the replication process dead in its tracks. If the coronavirus cannot multiply, its devastating respiratory effects are effectively neutralized.

Remdesivir may also have one other benefit: It likely won’t hurt the patient’s other cells because it targets just the virus.

'One of the reasons that an antiviral that specifically targets the viral polymerase is promising is because it should not have negative effects on the cell, but will shut down virus synthesis specifically,' Maginnis said."

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
gkarasik and WVMandingo, I would like to apologize for letting my exasperation get the best of me. It appears that the country is divided between those who wish to be overly safe and those willing to take a certain amount of risk to see economic health return. I am firmly in the second camp. The virus, as with all of life is fret with danger. We take risks everyday, we have faced pandemics worse than this before and have never sacrificed our freedoms, liberties and our way of life like this. I am trying to wrap my head around the reason for this.
First and foremost we are Americans and that my friends is the most important thing to all of us. I wish you both the best during this difficult time. With faith in our fellow citizens and with the assurance of our Lord we will come thru this better and stronger than ever. God’s Blessings on you and yours, and may God Bless this great country.

·
Administrator
4,111 Posts
ENOUGH! gharasik hit the nail on the head. Let's show we are better than this. Off topic generally means we let more things slide......but this is ridiculous. We've treated everyone like adults, expecting the same in return. Respect returns respect. Civility returns civility. Sometimes we just need to walk away from things.
You don't want the next step.........

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
What has been unique to American democracy is not only our compassion for one another, but also our forebearance toward one another when our ideas differ; that plus our faith that even when we differ in ideas--like which direction we think the lifeboat should go--we're all interested in keeping the lifeboat afloat, that my wanting to go a different way doesn't mean I want the lifeboat to sink. And I'm using "faith" in the religious sense--a belief, despite appearances, in the fundamental goodness of our fellows even when belief is difficult. It's easy to believe in things when things go well; it's when things are tough that we find out what we're made of. And as a country, lately, it doesn't look like we're very tough at all. It may be that I'm seeing different conditions on the ground where I am than you are seeing where you are. I could be wrong in my interpretation of what I'm seeing. But so could you. Realizing that we could be wrong and forgiving ourselves and others for that very human failing is the humility most religions try to foster. Trying to understand why I'm saying the things I'm saying means trying, in good faith, to see what I'm seeing, and is a necessary part of what has made us a great nation, not just a powerful and rich nation, but a truly great nation. Even worse than I hate the implication that if our ideas differ I'm less than a patriot is that my fellow citizens have stopped really listening to one another, have stopped trying to walk in each other's shoes. I expect such behavior from politicians. I expect better from Goldwing riders. There are places in this country where COVID-19 seems far away, but where I am many people are dying. Implying that, because in response to those deaths I'm willing to consider--temporarily only, because implying I don't care about freedom is damned insulting--a more-drastic response than you are doesn't mean I'm a hysteric or a traitor, anymore than your interpretation of what you're seeing and what you think is a reasonable course of action means you're a heartless monster willing to just write off a few hundred thousand grandmas and grandpas. Every one of our laws embodies the principle, "This far and no farther." Every law, because that principle is written into our country's DNA: "This far and no farther." And every one of those laws is subject to modifaction and/or repeal when conditions change or if we just damned feel like it. Let's all agree, individually and right now, to stop behaving like politicians, to stop assuming and saying the worst about each other and start saying and assuming the best. If we citizens do that, them politicians will follow, because that's what politicians do.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
These are not my words, and I do not know the source. But I do think it shines a little light on the situation. I hope it's ok to post.

Perspective:
WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...
I heard that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.
For some, quarantine is optimal.
A moment of reflection, of
re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.
For some that live alone they're facing endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & time with their mother, father, sons & daughters.
With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.
Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.
Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.
Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.
Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.
Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.
Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.
So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.
Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.
We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.
Realize that and be kind. ❤

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
These are not my words, and I do not know the source. But I do think it shines a little light on the situation. I hope it's ok to post.

Perspective:
I heard that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.
re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.
For some that live alone they're facing endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & time with their mother, father, sons & daughters.
With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.
Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.
Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.
Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.
Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.
Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.
Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.
So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.
Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.
We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.
We're all trapped in different metaphors together.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I was referring to countries in the Nordic region, which in addition to Finland and Norway, also include Iceland, Denmark, and Sweden.
Yeah I understand. But those others are separated by ocean. That was the difference I was talking about. They are in the REGION, but not adjoining, per se.

·
Registered
893 Posts

Perspective:
This and GKarasik's posts are two of the best, most insightful, and well presented statements on conditions we are facing that I have seen. They show a level of thinking and humbleness that s rarely seen on ANY forum, much less a motorcycle forum.

But I shouldn't be surprised really. Such respect and analytical thinking is what I have come to admire and appreciate here. And I am never disappointed. Many thanks to all here. This virus will be gone at some time. Friendships built here will not. God Bless you all.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
This and GKarasik's posts are two of the best, most insightful, and well presented statements on conditions we are facing that I have seen. They show a level of thinking and humbleness that s rarely seen on ANY forum, much less a motorcycle forum.

But I shouldn't be surprised really. Such respect and analytical thinking is what I have come to admire and appreciate here. And I am never disappointed. Many thanks to all here. This virus will be gone at some time. Friendships built here will not. God Bless you all.
Thanks. Backatcha.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I think there is an option for you..... check with your unemployment office.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts