GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two Japanese men from Japan’s Department of Higher Education visited the college that I teach at. They were looking our school over with visions of sending students from Japan to our Institution of higher learning. That afternoon I had my Goldwing in the shop and as they toured the shop both of the men circled the bike many times speaking to each other saying it says a Honda but it sure is big. Talking to the men they said that there was no such motorcycle in Japan nothing that large at all from Honda.

Just passing this on for a chuckle!!!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
When I was stationed there back in the '80's (1 year on Okinawa, 3 years just south of Hiroshima)... the largest bike that anyone could leaglly ride on the street was 400cc. However, if you had been a documented rider for more than 10 years... you could ride up to a 1000cc bike.

While I'm sure the engine size has increased over the years... there are still probably many restrictions in place for the average rider.

Tom

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
When I was stationed in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii (1991 - 1993) there were several of us with GL1500s that would regularly go down to the Waikiki. We would cruise around a bit and park on one of the main drags in between a couple of shops. The Japanese tourists would just flock around the Wings and take lots of photos. They were amazed that Honda made this product and that they were made in the USA. There was even a few occasions where we would take a few of the young ladies for a quick ride around a parking lot. We would seem to get a lot attention from all of the foreign tourists. All of the bikes were modified, weather it be chrome, lights or paint, as are many of our GL1800s

A

·
0 Posts
Interesting observation. Goldwings are sold in Tokyo. They even have dealer websites. Japan requires a windshield wiper on any bike with a windshield, and pictures of these Wings with Wipers have been posted from time to time.

There have been numerous posts since 2001 on this website showing photos of the Japanese version of the Wing. There was once a video posted on this website of a Goldwing being ridden in Japan.

Just because the Japanese tourists have not seen a Wing, doesn't mean they do not sell them in Japan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts