GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking here....

Dunflop 407 180/65 bias tire and a 140/70 frontal Avon bias

You guys keep experimenting with front tires which, based on your own comments, do not appear to be performing better than Stone frontals

Why not try a Dunflop 180/65 with a 140/70 Avon bias front

I tried a 140 frontal once but my steering was loose at the time. I judged it did not feel right at the time. I freaked and took it off before I had the chance to experience it fully. It did make the bike handle heavier on the front. Just like most other cruiser bikes do. IE: the VTX.

I suspect that a 140 frontal should make the bike sit better on the long slab. I have always thought the 130 front is TOO THIN for the Wingabego.

A 65 rear may benefit the rpmage for long hauls...just like the 70 do.

Its just a thought, that I am going to try one of these days.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
My take on the front tire is kinda like this. The human spirit will always search and try for a better way, it is just what we do.
I purchased a Sport Demon, I was going to try it, but decided not to, I had reservations about it from the start.

Common sense told me that with a deeper tread on the front that there would be more rubber, more compression and the tire would be subject to more compression and more cupping especially if ran in the mountains of North Carolina where I like to go play. But I listened, learned, and heard about Hums, buzzes, vibration and the story that the tire will wear in in a few hundred miles. Seems like mileage is not any better? My ole hard dunlop is still going , at 17,000 miles, I do take care of it, I do use ride/on in the tire to keep it balanced. It is just about slick(gotta change it this weekend)

So I sold the tire to another on this site, I have not closed my mind, but I will listen and learn more. At this point I think the radial tire on the front is still best(just my opinion) and the OEM tires at least for me seem to give long and good life.

I love my Kumho, it is everything everyone said it would be, and then some, and to me a great peace of mind and a great thing.

I am still listening about the front tire, will I am sure learn more, but at the moment this weekend a 709 is going on the front.

I believed you all about the Kumho, and I believe you all about the front, and at this point not willing to put up with vibration or letting the tire wear in. If I change to something I want an improvement, or something better, do not desire to step backwards. I understand about the nubbins, that is a no brainer, vibration, and pogo sticking the front end, this I will watch a bit longer.

Kit

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I still have a 709 on the front that I'm trying to wear out, it's been a good tire, no cupping. I have a battlax in the garage that will go on next. I'll give it a shot, if I don't like it I'll go back to the 709

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The jackin around with front tires is still a work in progress, an interesting challenge. Stay tuned. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Kit,
I've got the Battleax on point and haven't had any vibes, cupping or anything that I heard about. I keep 39psi in it and like it a lot. Got the Conti SSR on back. I really like the combo and will continue with it. I also don't ride real hard either or do the twisties to the max, but ain't no slouch either. I guess there are good and bad points about any combo, but thats what this whole site is all about. Livin' and learnin"!!!!!!! Semper-fi

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Nando..I got the Pirelli on front and I don't hear or feel anything others claim? :shrug:

This is from a guy who took off a rear E3 with 2500 miles on it because it sang in the turns...

I have had front tires in this order.
Stones (709)
E3
Stone (again)
Stone (again)
Battlax (cupped prematurely)
Pirelli (slight feathering)

The front Pirelli feathers exactly like the rear Pirelli..All my tires have done this so nothing different there!

I've said time and time again..We all ride differently so what works for Mike won't work for Joe..

You just have to do what each of us had to do with stock tires.Try them all until you find what works best for your riding style!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got a few hundred miles on my Sport Demon now and I'm happier than a pig in muck. The 'buzz' has gone, I never experienced any 'bounce' (running it at 38psi) and this thing is sticking to the road like a cheap wet dress on a two bit hooker. Combined with the CT, I'm riding like I'm a teenager again.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I've said time and time again..We all ride differently so what works for Mike won't work for Joe..
Rocky, Who the heck is "Mike and Joe" :lol: Sounds like more mind blowing stuff for Nando...:wrong: Cheers...:doorag:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky, Who the heck is "Mike and Joe" :lol: Sounds like more mind blowing stuff for Nando...:wrong: Cheers...:doorag:
Darn Stick.. Mike & Joe are Frick & fracks younger brothers-Hell I thought everyone knew that? :shrug:

I only used them as reference for Nando who travels through that far far away Galaxy..and we all know :wrong:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not visit under-developed galactic sectors

·
Registered
731 Posts
Darn Stick.. Mike & Joe are Frick & fracks younger brothers-Hell I thought everyone knew that? :shrug:
Who is Frick & Frack?

I guess I can google for this answer unless someone wants to enlighten me.

Dale

·
Registered
70 Posts
Meercat,

A cheap wet dress on a two bit hooker:eek:? Question is, "how would you know about the wet dress and the hooker?:shrug:

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Murgie,

You are the man:bow::bow:. Now if anyone ever asks me about Frick & Frack I will look like an intelligent person:clap2:.

You have made me a better man.:yes1:

John

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Running a 140 battlax on the front mostly because I run a sidecar. Got 22k out of the first one, but then I wear them flat in the middle. What you will find is when stones get stuck in the tread and come up thru the fender, you'll swear there going to cut it in half, almost no clearance in there. JMHO
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Prepare ship for ludicrous speed --------------Dark Helmit

Harvey
DS#30

·
Registered
116 Posts
Meercat,

A cheap wet dress on a two bit hooker:eek:? Question is, "how would you know about the wet dress and the hooker?:shrug:
John
Erm... it rains a lot round here... cough.......:roll:

·
Registered
310 Posts
In meercats defense, I once heard someone say this about the pulling power of a Harley. "It wouldn't pull a sick ***** off a commode". Now I didn't know the ***** personally, but I did know the person who said that, and the motorcycle in question and therefore I knew it to be true.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
But if she doesn't get that wet dress off real soon she is going to get sick again:twisted:.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts