GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control (04 Wing) would hold it's speed just great...... but.....if I sped up then let off, the cruise would drop 3 to 4 mph below the setting before kicking in. It would then take me right back to where it was set and work great. If I tapped the brakes and slowed down just a little then hit resume, it would take it about 3 seconds before it would kick in again. Once it did, it went right back to the original setting and would them hold it just fine. :? :(

I searched the site and found several posts on the subject, but I'm still a little confused. I read the post about looking down through the hole beside the breather and making sure the marks were lined up. It took me a few minutes to to find the marks but I finally did!!!
Well, the bar was dead center in the little notch, right where it was supposed to be.

I would like some input from some of you guys that know about these things. I'm told the dealers don't have a clue and we are on our own with these kinds of problems. I'll have the bike apart till Tuesday when I can get a new air filter, no way I'm not going to replace it now that it's all apart. I thought I would try turning the adjustment out a few turns which has worked for some of you just to see what it will do.

But again, any input from you guys "in the know" would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help, as well as thanks for all the great advice I have received in the past.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!

We had our annual Polar Bear ride today. Well with the temp in the high 60's to low 70's we decided to call it the Grizley bear ride this year. We had our best turn out since I have been riding with this group. 25 bikes, mostly wings, but we had one or two Harleys, some Shadows and Magnas, and a beautiful ST1300. And last but not least, we had a vintage GL1100, an early model for sure. We met up with a few guys at a pit stop and had a chance to look over the new Warrior, all in black with red pen striping on the wheels. Good looking bike and a couple of good guys that we hope will come and ride with us some time.

And Fred, I sent you an invite, and all I can say is you missed a GOOD ride followed with some darn good home cooked food when we all ended up at one of the members home for our Polar Bear feast.

Well maybe next time......

Ride safe and ride often,

Jim
Ti04

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lining up by the marks give you a ballpark adjustment. You need to fine tune it from there to eliminate the hesitation. You should do this while you have the top shelter off. You can ride the bike with the shelter off. That way you can make the final adjustments to eliminate all the hesitation.

·
Vendor
21,412 Posts
And Fred, I sent you an invite, and all I can say is you missed a GOOD ride followed with some darn good home cooked food when we all ended up at one of the members home for our Polar Bear feast.
Thanks, I appreciate the invitation, but I avoid the Grapevine area like the plague. I live on the Southwest corner of Fort Worth, and I always ride west or south, never north. Too much traffic. I did however get in a nice 175 mile ride yesterday.

You can adjust the cruise control without pulling off the top shelter. Remove the instrument panel cover and pull up the right side plastic flap that forms the handlebar tunnel to expose the adjusters. Then turn them one or two turn at a time and ride it till it is the way you like it. I find that lining up the marks still leaves a little lag, and you have to go a bit beyond them to get it right.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
IF your throttle control has a little excess play in it; adjust that first. When I centered my pointer in the notch, I noticed teh pointer was more narrow than the notch so I did go just beyond center to align the back side of the pointer with the back of the notch -- that was maybe 1/6 of trun extra - if that much. After I did that my cruise lag was gone and it returns directly to the target speed from either resume or on decel without any over or under shoot. But it seems our bikes do vary some in their manners.

prs

·
Registered
410 Posts
Jim, and all,

I have my cruise control adjusted to have no hesitation when first setting/engaging it after it has been disengaged, and there is absolutely no hesitation at that point.

BUT, if over-speeding the cruise constrol's set speed some while it is still engaged, then dropping the throttle, there is still going to be that dreaded "several-mph-drop-in-speed" until the CC engages again. In spite of what PRS has said about his bike, I have otherwise never read here where anyone has been able to find a solution to that particular problem.

And it really is an annoyance.

·
Registered
20,679 Posts
bingoldsby said:
Jim, and all,

I have my cruise control adjusted to have no hesitation when first setting/engaging it after it has been disengaged, and there is absolutely no hesitation at that point.

BUT, if over-speeding the cruise constrol's set speed some while it is still engaged, then dropping the throttle, there is still going to be that dreaded "several-mph-drop-in-speed" until the CC engages again. In spite of what PRS has said about his bike, I have otherwise never read here where anyone has been able to find a solution to that particular problem.

same here, i don't think there is a fix for that part of the problem

what i do is disengauge the cruise then let the speed drop slightly below set speed b4 hitting resume

but I'm listening

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
bingoldsby said:
Jim, and all,

DITTO! Mine acts exactly the same after the zero-lag adjustment. Just something we have to cope with I guess.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Ti04,

IMO, the cruise control lag fix is only to adjust the lag when you originally set the cruise speed... lower set button on the right controls. What you describe is normal operation regardless of your cruise control lag.

If you speed up without disengaging the set speed, and then let go of the throttle, the bike will drop below the set speed and then speed up to the set speed. The amount of speed it drops below the set speed depends on how far over the set speed you were - up to about 5 mph over it should only drop 1 - 2 mph below, then speed up.

If you disengage the set speed, either by braking or shifting, and then resume the set speed (upper button on the right controls) there will also be some time lag before the bike responds. I've not experienced a cruise control on a bike or in a car that didn't do this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for your replys

Thanks again for all the replys. I suspected the delay I was having might not be fixed with the cable adjustment, but it's worth a shot.

I am going to install a new airfilter before I put it all back together, so it will be Wednesday before I can really check anything. With the exception of the lag, this cruise control is outstanding at holding the set speed. I never vary more than a mile or so from the setting.

By the way, taking everything apart was not too bad a job. We will see about getting it back together though.

Ride safe and ride often :D
Jim

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
Guess I'm just lucky! I can cruise at 70, gun the throttle to 85 and let go and it settles right back to 70 slick as clockwork. This is not an uncommon issue adn I have re-checked the function many times - rock steady! If there is any under shoot at all, its negligible. Like the old joke says; don't sell that cow! :wink:

prs

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just adjusted my cruise control according to the above trial and error adjujstment and it works like a charm. There is no lag now under and any riding condition. Set cruise, accelerate to 10, 20, 30 etc over set speed, release throttle and it returns to the exact set speed. Same with initial set, push button and presto it kicks in and no lag.
This is a 02 low milege wing. Thanks for all your input guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My cruise control (04 Wing) would hold it's speed just great...... but.....if I sped up then let off, the cruise would drop 3 to 4 mph below the setting before kicking in. It would then take me right back to where it was set and work great. If I tapped the brakes and slowed down just a little then hit resume, it would take it about 3 seconds before it would kick in again. Once it did, it went right back to the original setting and would them hold it just fine. :? :(

I searched the site and found several posts on the subject, but I'm still a little confused. I read the post about looking down through the hole beside the breather and making sure the marks were lined up. It took me a few minutes to to find the marks but I finally did!!!
Well, the bar was dead center in the little notch, right where it was supposed to be.

I would like some input from some of you guys that know about these things. I'm told the dealers don't have a clue and we are on our own with these kinds of problems. I'll have the bike apart till Tuesday when I can get a new air filter, no way I'm not going to replace it now that it's all apart. I thought I would try turning the adjustment out a few turns which has worked for some of you just to see what it will do.

But again, any input from you guys "in the know" would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help, as well as thanks for all the great advice I have received in the past.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!

We had our annual Polar Bear ride today. Well with the temp in the high 60's to low 70's we decided to call it the Grizley bear ride this year. We had our best turn out since I have been riding with this group. 25 bikes, mostly wings, but we had one or two Harleys, some Shadows and Magnas, and a beautiful ST1300. And last but not least, we had a vintage GL1100, an early model for sure. We met up with a few guys at a pit stop and had a chance to look over the new Warrior, all in black with red pen striping on the wheels. Good looking bike and a couple of good guys that we hope will come and ride with us some time.

Well maybe next time......

Ride safe and ride often,

Jim
Ti04

I have found that if you have the top shelter off its pretty easy to adjust it. My GW chapter former CD showed me a very simple way to adjust the lag out, loosen the cable adjustment lock nut then tighten the cable slowly, as soon as the rpm starts to increase, back it off to just barely below that point and tighten the lock nut, it's worked every time for us and I've help several others with this simple fix.

Mike Rand
CA1V current CD

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Cruise lag can easily be adjusted to eliminate the lag. As Fred suggested, locate the cruise cable just aft and to the right of the ignition switch. When you have the correct cable, loosen the jam nut, and start the bike, letting it settle into idle. Begin to turn the adjusting barrel a half turn at a time and note when the idle raises. Back it off just enough to return the idle to normal and tighten the jam nut. Ride the bike and enjoy a crisp and accurate set of the CC every time.

You’re welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts