GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a qualifier. The following are purely my seat-of-the-pants impressions and opinions after putting at least 70k miles on several different 195-55 run flat CTs.

I got to log about 350 miles of mountain twisties this afternoon on the 175-60 Dunlop Wintersport 3D DSST. Most were at a pace that I consider "spirited" to "quick". Yesterday I logged about 450 miles of interstates and flat 2-lanes at a normal riding pace..

Yesterday led me to believe what I confirmed today. The 175-60-16 is "The Bridge" between the handling of a 195-55 CT and the handling of a 180-60 motto tire.

I have, in the past, kept a motto tire on my second rear rim for when I wanted to "play hard" in the curves, because I preferred it slightly to the CT. That won't be necessary anymore. The narrower 175-60 feels, to me, about as close to a motto tire as you're gonna get.

I believe that most 1800 owners, if not told what they were riding on, wouldn't notice the difference. If the handling of a new 180-60 motto tire is an "A" and a new 195-55 CT is a "D", then the 175-60 is a "B" to "B+" depending on one's sensitivity and experience.

I ran it both days at 30 psi cold, which is what I like in the 195-55.

Yesterday, I noticed it does throw the speedo off a little more, but the increase in rpms is almost imperceptible. Since I have a GPS, this isn 't a factor.

In my humble opinion, this is a really good choice for the 1800 owner who prefers the handling of a motto tire. The benefits of the CT with handling characteristics very close to the oe tire. Thank you, Darksider #1, Tom Franken, for finding this tire and being the first to test it.

The only question is: tread life. From what I've read, the Wintersport 3D gives very good mileage, so I don't expect a problem there. The only downside is the fact that it retails for around 200 bucks. Still, that's about the same a new motto tire.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 195-55 is a great tire for the Wing, especially for those who aren't carving mountain twisties every weekend. It is probably a "great choice" for those folks, because of the slow-speed stability it offers.

When I get my "loaned out" 195-55 back, I'll measure the two and post what I find.

As an aside, I found that it's a little less likely to try and follow the high spots on uneven roads.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Trailsman..Very good review...Thanks. I am running a 195-55 Kuhmo now and like it very much.....EXCEPT....I don't like the way it falls off of the road crown like it does. Sometimes the push is rather abrupt and will catch you a bit off guard. Most of my riding is is done in the mountains and these two lanes tend to be crowned. I will admit that the M/T allows a bit more spirit in my riding style in these hills but I not ready to give up the C/T anytime real soon. Can't wait to hear some more reviews of the 175-60. Sounds like a bridge that many may want to cross! :yes1:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Paul.Thanks for the review..:thumbup: And there is no way in Hell Buddy!!:joke:

I'm still interested in the width differences between this 175 & 195??

To everyone else:
I have tried a winter tire in the past,and I won't put another one on my bike if Shania Twain offered to sleep with me until the end of time..:doorag:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rocky, you sure I can't convince you to get a couple of these?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Inside joke folks)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
To everyone else:
I have tried a winter tire in the past,and I won't put another one on my bike if Shania Twain offered to sleep with me until the end of time..:doorag:
:wrong: Oh Rocky...you must SERIOUSLY hate the narrower tire to make a statement like this! How could anyone harbor such hate and contempt for anything to make such a statement :?::?: Hell man...I'll run a damn scooter tire for that!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
For Shanai Twain I ride my bike on bicycle tires

...and do a burnt out :excited:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd let Nando ride over me with his bicycle tires....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
To everyone else:
I have tried a winter tire in the past,and I won't put another one on my bike if ... <some blaberring that puts his gender and humanoid status in question>
I won't run anything except a snow tire. I had a 205 3-season tire. Even though it had more contact with the road, it slid all over the place on any wet road. I think the snow tire even digs in better on dry pavement.

If you don't want the snow tire, Yokohama makes a 175/55/16. It is the OEM summer tire for the Lotus Elise. It's diameter is 23.5" making it almost an inch shorter than the 180/60 MT or 195/55 CT. It also has a treadwear rating of 180. Your RPM's will go up another few hundred and you'll wear the tire out in a few thousand miles; but you should be able to hit 60mph in under 3.5 seconds and wheelie through 3rd gear!

trialsman said:
I have, in the past, kept a motto tire on my second rear rim for when I wanted to "play hard" in the curves, because I preferred it slightly to the CT. That won't be necessary anymore. The narrower 175-60 feels, to me, about as close to a motto tire as you're gonna get.
I was hoping I wasn't leading you down a false path.:p I was stunned to find out how much better it ran even compared to the 195's.

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
Rocky,
If Shania Twain would sleep with me for only one night......I'd put that old round motorcycle tire back on :shock: ! hahahahahaha

Paul,
Thank you for a great report on the tire :yes1: !

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:wrong: Oh Rocky...you must SERIOUSLY hate the narrower tire to make a statement like this! How could anyone harbor such hate and contempt for anything to make such a statement :?::?: Hell man...I'll run a damn scooter tire for that!
Rocky has nothing against the narrower tire, he just doesn't like Winter tires. He once believed someone who was exciting....prematurely....about a certain winter tire and its high treadwear rating. He bought two just to find out that the tire went away really fast.

You see, treadwear ratings are determined by each maker and there is no standard. So, the maker can fudge quite a bit. The tires he bought had a treadwear rating of 400 and they didn't last as long as the Pirelli which has a rating of 180.:22yikes:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I take it a few of you guys were having a little fun.:shrug:

Paul was dead on.:thumbup:
He and I have talked about many things.
enuf said!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I would not give up the grip of a Winter tire for another 30k miles of durability...My modus on two wheels is maximum gripology at any price....

Rocky, you want to reconsider that Shanai proposition ah?...admit it!...you would put my bicycle tires on your Wing...for that ride!!!

...I would ride my bike on bare wheel--no tires
...and I am betting Meercat would still let me run over him....

·
Registered
116 Posts
...I would ride my bike on bare wheel--no tires
...and I am betting Meercat would still let me run over him....
Hell yes....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts