GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just change the steering stem bearings, fork oil and springs (Progressive). Now the bike will not track straight going down the road and the steering is tight. With the front end lifted, turning from side to side it moves smoothly and easily. I have changed the torque setting till it is now finger tight as it was upon removal. I still have the same stiff steering and having to fight to keep it on the road. I have checked to make sure the front tire was installed correctly, forks are flush with the top bridge. It moves effortlessly with no weight on the front end. Drop the jack and center stand and it's hard to move while riding. Any suggestion. before I completely disassemble it again? Thinking maybe one of the steering stem bearings is not proper seated causing it to bind under load. Thanks in advance.

Billy

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,994 Posts
You must have done something wrong. The steering bearings have two nuts with a locking ring in between the two nuts.
The nut on the bottom, a locking ring on top of that nut, and then a nut on top of the locking ring. You torque the nut on the bottom to 20ftlbs....then you tighten the nut on top of the locking ring just finger tight and bend the locking ring taps to hold the top nut....then you put the top triple clamp on and tighten it's nut to 74ftlbs. Then tighten the bolts to the proper torque on the top triple clamp holding the top of the fork tubes. Check manual for proper torque with the top triple clamp..it's been a while.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
after torquing the steer head bearings to the proper torque did you release the pressure and then retorque the bearings? The first torque is to seat the bearings. If the bearings are not seated properly I would suspect that they didn't go in straight. Need to be removed and checked for damage.

If all is well and no damage, then I would torgue and then release and retorgue once again, That should solve your problem. At the very least you would know if the bearings seated properly or not.

JMHO

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Ditto all the above. A bearing that shows high drag when loaded but low drag when unloaded is not seated correctly.

Not that when the front wheel is off the ground and the preload is slacked off, the top bearing is the one carrying most of the load. When you put the bike's weight back on it, the bottom one will be carrying most of the load. So I would first check that the inner and outer races of the lower bearing have completely seated themselves.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
:agree: with all the above.
Great suggestions.
To help ensure that everything is seated correctly, torque the bearing nut to 50 or 60 lb ft, move steering back and forth, loosen bearing nut. Repeat a couple of times and then torque to 20-22 lb ft.
Good luck.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
It sounds like there is problem with the lower bearing. Are these All Balls? Getting the lower bearing pressed on the stem without damaging it can be a bit of a trick. The lower bearing on the stem should spin freely after it's pressed on. I would take it all back apart again <sigh> and check the lower bearing and lower race in the frame.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must have done something wrong.

You guys were correct the lower bearing was installed incorrectly.:oops: Fixed that at it drives like it should. :excited: I checked the bearing and it did not appear to be damaged, so I reinstalled it but I believe I'll order new ones just in case. Thanks all of you for the help.

Billy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts