GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could the throttle just be sticky?

Mine hesitates if cold or warmed up. It hesitates at any rpm from 1,000 to 4,000 and any speed from crawling to zooming. After I accelerate a few times, its okay. So, today, I stared my bike, then revved the engine a little--no hesitation. Then I revved it higher--oh, there it is! Choke, gasp! The motor stumbled bad once and was then okay. I rode off moments later, cold engine, no hesitation.

That's not a pattern yet, but revving the motor like a dentist riding his first Harley might, might, get the stumble out of the way in the driveway, not the first corner. If you've a mind to, give it a try and report back here.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Try adding some Sea Foam to the gas tank and quit dogging the damn thing (don't shift into 5th gear at 40 mph).
Sounds like crappy gas to me or trash in the tank water 10& eth thing.
Is something in way of air intake scoops un side pockets?
Is air filter bad
Check for water in clear plastic tube connected air box under front cow may be injesting water

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This suggestion is for those with stalling, stumbling, hesitating 2012-2013 Japanese Wings. This is NOT about bad gas or gummy fuel injectors. It is an idea that might Might get the "cold blooded" Wings to stumble on the side stand not on the road. If your Wing doesn't have this cold blooded hesitation issue, this suggestion is of no use to you.

I'd love to have someone else who HAS a cold blooded Wing to try this and see if revving the engine fixes the the throttle action on their bike. I'm sure it won't FIX the problem, but when I tried it, it fixed it for that ride.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This suggestion is for those with stalling, stumbling, hesitating 2012-2013 Japanese Wings. This is NOT about bad gas or gummy fuel injectors. It is an idea that might Might get the "cold blooded" Wings to stumble on the side stand not on the road. If your Wing doesn't have this cold blooded hesitation issue, this suggestion is of no use to you.

I'd love to have someone else who HAS a cold blooded Wing to try this and see if revving the engine fixes the the throttle action on their bike. I'm sure it won't FIX the problem, but when I tied it, it fixed it for that ride.
CruiseControl I have found that two things help on my 2012. first rev the engine a bit and second I have adjusted my throttle to have very little slack.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I think mine may have a slight hesitation. Why do I say think, because I always start the engine before I put on any gear. This gives the bike a chance to warm up a bit. I have always set throttle play to almost zero on all the bikes I have owned. Every cycle I have owned in the last 45 years, and there have been alot, have had their own little thing to deal with. Barry

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay--ride number 2. Revved it 2,000, 3,000 then 4,000 before leaving. No hesitation leaving the area. Usually it will stumble on the first couple of corners. So far, so good.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Okay--ride number 2. Revved it 2,000, 3,000 then 4,000 before leaving. No hesitation leaving the area. Usually it will stumble on the first couple of corners. So far, so good.
to me it sounds like you have some trash, bad fuel or a little water rolling around fuel line connection at tank. I have not look at service manual to see were honda put fuel line in take but most likely just above bottom of tank, so with that in mind the bad fuel/water will go to very bottom and work its way up to fuel line suction. This would make sence if up stumble at first because you are burning off the amount of bad fuel that has worked its way back up to suction intake line. You can treat the bad fuel with seafoam with help you burn this fuel and some how remove the water.

·
Premium Member
19,614 Posts
I would drain fuel and replace. Fuel should not sit more than two weeks in your tank

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
This is not a fuel issue. The hesitation CruiseControl is referencing is affecting a LOT of 2012/2013 owners.
if it is not fuel then
*mass flow sensor
*air box leak
*ecu / ecm program problem

what year is original poster

·
Registered
558 Posts
Mine did the same thing, so after trying a couple of thing with no luck, I took it to the stealer. He reset the ECU. Fixed. No more hesitation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hesitation

I have a 12 with 17k on it. Mine has had the hesitation since new. It happens when cold and it happens when stopped for short periods and restarting. After reading the post by Fred H. About the Denso plugs I decided to take a look and see what I had. I have NGK, they all looked real good, but we're gapped at 43-44. I set the gap at 41 on all six. The wife and I took an overnight ride to Chattanooga and put in about 100 miles each day. We experienced no hesitation on either day. I know this doesn't prove anything and I am not convinced this fixed it, but thought I would share my experience.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Jap Goldwings

I was reading and had a thought that most Honda dirt-bikers probably know is that the bikes from Japan are jetted for sea level and needed to be rejetted for the best performance unless you lived on the coast.
Dose anyone know if the ECM calibration on the 12&13's are the same as older USA models? :shrug:
I know that a computer controlled engine has a barometric sensor for altitude adjustments but?????
Just thinkin again.
Rod

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
This is not a fuel issue. The hesitation CruiseControl is referencing is affecting a LOT of 2012/2013 owners.
Its not plugs fuel its a programing problem til Honda steps up and fixes this its not going to change

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 012 was having the problem you mentioned,and the dealer said try some premium fuel for a couple tanks. That didn't work,but the Lucas injecter cleaner did. Ditchdigger

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I was reading and had a thought that most Honda dirt-bikers probably know is that the bikes from Japan are jetted for sea level and needed to be rejetted for the best performance unless you lived on the coast.
Dose anyone know if the ECM calibration on the 12&13's are the same as older USA models? :shrug:
I know that a computer controlled engine has a barometric sensor for altitude adjustments but?????
Just thinkin again.
Rod
Modern fuel injection engines have an oxygen sensor that tells the engine how much oxygen is in the air which is the difference between sea level vs. altitude.

Assuming the O2 sensor is working, the engine should automatically adjust to altitude so it wouldn't matter where it was made and originally "calibrated" because that piece of the ECM is constantly adjusting.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Seems to be addressing the 2012 hesitation issue.....

Assuming this is a suggestion to remedy the 2012 hesitation issue, it might be more easily understood on the 2012 forum.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Hi sorry I never thought about the other forum never been on it.
I know they will adjust after the computer is in closed loop or after warmed up, but the hesitation is worse when they are first started and not in closed loop. when the computer takes over the problem is gone?
I have never ridden a 12 or 13 just try to give some with the problem a possible answer.
Rod

1 - 20 of 20 Posts