GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove some (previous owner) Kuryakyn highway boards to facilitate spark plug replacement. Trouble is, the hex head bolts on the underside are not fitting the hex drivers I have. 5mm is too big and 4mm is too small. How is that even possible? There is not an Imperial version of hex heads and even if so, Kuryakyn isn't dumb enough to use them on a metric bike, surely?

Maybe the hex head sockets have been deformed is all I can think of. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

W

·
Registered
828 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I just went out and checked the one on my Ergo's. 3/16" is what I've used and what fits. Remember, it's an accessory for a metric bike, not a part for a metric bike. If it was designed to attach to the bike and fit an existing threaded hole, then yes it would have to be metric. Since it's an add on that just clamps on, they will use whatever they want.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm trying to remove some (previous owner) Kuryakyn highway boards to facilitate spark plug replacement. Trouble is, the hex head bolts on the underside are not fitting the hex drivers I have. 5mm is too big and 4mm is too small. How is that even possible? There is not an Imperial version of hex heads and even if so, Kuryakyn isn't dumb enough to use them on a metric bike, surely?

Maybe the hex head sockets have been deformed is all I can think of. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

W
4.5 mm as others have said, or 3/16”. I’d also use ScrewLoose(tm) 24 hours ahead of time.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Kury makes its money on HD bikes which are not metric. I bet the fact that their stuff use SAE bolts, nuts and threads drives the Korean and Chinese factories nuts as well.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I doubt highly they use metric in 1/2mm increment. Handy conversion charts that show where metric and inch fall at tekton tools. Great tools at a great price, and free chart. 3/16" is what you need.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
These bolts are SAE thread... yep Kury strikes again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I think in the end SAE was the right ansewr. I use a little hex head driver with interchangeable bits and found a good fit. I was just not thinking they would use something other than metric. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm going to have to go out to my tool box and tell my Imperial set of allen wrenches that they don't exist?
# 2 mechanic dummy here ( me ) ................. "Imperial" set ?? The things dummies ( me ) learn from this site...............................

my next musing...................... why in the world would ANYONE .... EVER ........ use a set like that on ANYTHING instead of just using 'normal' bolts ?? What is the purpose of using allen wrenches over 'normal' screws/bolts ? ( ones that use a screwdriver )

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Kury stuff is made in Wisconsin. SAE standard. And most of the fasteners gall as they are installed making removal impossible Without prelubricant/antiseize. Imperial, isn’t that Canadian or British ?

As for the use of Allen head fasteners. It is the wonder cure for old Keihen carb rebuilds on my cx/gl 650’s.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts