GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That question, I'm sure was ask many times as father's, but just wondered how most of you would answer.

I got into riding late in life, and remember my son wanting to buy a dirt bike.
His mother almost had a heart attack, so he dropped the subject in his teens.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i hope and pray my kid never wants a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nojoke::nojoke::nojoke:

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I was young my Father told me I would never own a Volkswagon car or a Motorcycle. When I turned 18 I bought my First New Car a Volkswagon Beetle and in the last 40 Years I have owned 12 Motorcycles. He never got mad and even rode one of my Bikes years ago. He was a Good Father..May He rest in Peace...... Also my Oldest Son Rides a Motorcycle and Yes I worry a lot. He has Two young Girls and a Wife. I told Him "you know I worry about you a lot when you are on that Bike" and he told me " Dad there is no difference I also worry a lot about You when you are on yours" I guess I understand his point........

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was young my Father told me I would never own a Volkswagon car or a Motorcycle. When I turned 18 I bought my First New Car a Volkswagon Beetle and in the last 40 Years I have owned 12 Motorcycles. He never got mad and even rode one of my Bikes years ago. He was a Good Father..May He rest in Peace...... Also my Oldest Son Rides a Motorcycle and Yes I worry a lot. He has Two young Girls and a Wife. I told Him "you know I worry about you a lot when you are on that Bike" and he told me " Dad there is no difference I also worry a lot about You when you are on yours" I guess I understand his point........

Maybe it's just the "fatherly protection" that kicks in, and they just don't want anything to happen.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Like you, I came into riding late in life. My parents were always dead-set against me riding a motorcycle (because I had a clumsy puberty) so I never got the chance until I was out on my own.

Got my first bike around 1989 or so. Was whined out of it by my girlfriend and best friend at the time. Now the girlfriend/ex-wife and former best friend/her new husband are out of the picture and I'm riding my wing.

As for my kids, I suppose -- like my parents -- my response to a son or daughter would really depend on whether or not I felt they were both coordinated and mature enough to handle one.

I firmly believe however that even the smallest of crotch rockets has waaaay too much power and speed capability to be ridden safely by any teen.

Wayne

·
Registered
203 Posts
3 of my 4 kids rode bikes. My daughter tried it at about 18 but lost interest. One son learned to ride when on his own and had a CBR600 for a few years.

Youngest son has had 3 bikes and is still interested. He rides mine on occasion and is looking into getting one for himself.

Last summer I started teaching my 9 ys old granddaughter to ride.

It's my biggest hobby and takes up most of my free time. If I told them "NO" they would have done it on their own so at least I make them take a safety course and do some riding with me to boost their skills.

They were/are smart enough to figure out that it's a way to spend some quality time with me.

Bobb

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I plan to start my son and/or daughter on a little dirt bike like I did. Spend less than 1k and if they like it take it from there.
No sportbikes unless we're doing trackdays. First streetbike would be a 650 Vstrom/SV or similar. I don't want them on the back of anybody's bike unless its mine or one of my trusty riding buddies. No squidly boyfriends!
O.k. they're only 5 & 7 I need to chill.
I did just buy them full gear head to toe and plan to get the passenger floor board risers so they can start riding with me.
Teach him well, if he wants to ride there's no stopping him. Have him take the safety course of course.

Steve

·
Registered
164 Posts
My feeling has always been how can I ride and enjoy it and yet still justify my saying no to one of the kids.

So far, neither is interested, although one had a dirt bike when he was younger. But if they were to want one now that they are both adults, I guess I would just caution them to be carefull. After all, I only have a limited say in what they do these days - LOL

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
When my brother and I were ready to graduate from high school the only form of transportation that was affordable to us was motorcycles. My mom and dad let us buy bikes in 1965. My brother got a Yamaha 80 and I got the 60. pretty neat little rice burners in their day. My dad bought us our helmets and paid our insurance. It wasn't long before my brother was on a 49 Harley full dress and I was on a Honda 305 Superhawk. We have been riding ever since. My dad, rest his soul now, came to the house several years ago. I had just bought a 1979 Blue Goldwing. He took one look at it, well, maybe two, and told me what a beautiful bike it was, Now sell it. Well I did, and got a 1500 then our 1800. I don't think my dad ever even sat on a motorcycle in his life but he could run a Naval destroyer and later an entire Naval base. Gosh I wish he was still here to tell me to sell it. bb

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When my brother and I were ready to graduate from high school the only form of transportation that was affordable to us was motorcycles. My mom and dad let us buy bikes in 1965. My brother got a Yamaha 80 and I got the 60. pretty neat little rice burners in their day. My dad bought us our helmets and paid our insurance. It wasn't long before my brother was on a 49 Harley full dress and I was on a Honda 305 Superhawk. We have been riding ever since. My dad, rest his soul now, came to the house several years ago. I had just bought a 1979 Blue Goldwing. He took one look at it, well, maybe two, and told me what a beautiful bike it was, Now sell it. Well I did, and got a 1500 then our 1800. I don't think my dad ever even sat on a motorcycle in his life but he could run a Naval destroyer and later an entire Naval base. Gosh I wish he was still here to tell me to sell it. bb
Sounds like one great father you had there to trust his boy's on cycles.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We are always very reluctant to allow our children to have a motorcycle. Simply because we know how we were when we were young. You know in your heart, that no matter how much you work with them, teach them, and spend time with them, they are young men and will push the envelope at times. Hey we all did, some of us still do.

Riding a motorcycle is actually quite safe, as long as you teach yourself to be observant and to become an extreme defensive rider. It is those times that you push the envelope that things happen. Or the day you are not paying attention like you should have been.

I have two sons who ride a bike. One is 28 years old and the other is 25. One has a ST1300 and the other has an FJR Yamaha.

They were not allowed on the street before age 18 with a bike. They spent their teenage years riding dirt bikes and that kind of thing, but nothing teaches them the rules of the street, nothing but experience will do that.

Both have crashed on the street, Both learned the hard way, you cannot pound sand into a hard head.

Some are lucky like us and survive it all and become lifetime riders. Some are not so lucky and suffer the loss of life or even worse spend life in a wheelchair.

No need to restrict them though, some stupid war like Iraq, or something else can take them also, there are no guarantees in life, so all of us just do as we can, and deal with the daily struggle of life, and its joys.

I have never restricted them a lot, have tried my best to guide them, both have some time under their belts now, and have gained some sense.

That is all you can do.

Kit

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Bikes

Our two boys one daughter grew up on quads. Then both boys got into dirt bikes for a while, then the older one got a CBR900RR. Rode that for several yrs and sold it, then bought the new 1000. We always worried about him riding the crotch rockets, but he never laid one down or had an accident. He finally realized with two daughters they needed another vehicle besides the bike and sold it to buy a pickup truck. He now has my Dad's 97 SE Wing to ride, so we dont worry about him as much now. Other son has shown no interest since he sold his Honda 250 dirt bike. Daughter loves to ride with me when she gets a chance, but she is 200 miles away.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think of riding, the same as using a gun to go hunting, some people are ready at a young age, 7-10, and some are never ready 18+. But I think that anyone if there parent or guardian takes the time to explain to them the dangers, and show them the safe way to use them, and try to instill upon them respect for it. They will be fine.

My father used to say that when you think you know everything about riding, and that you can do anything on the bike; that is when you need to get rid of it or you are going to get hurt.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I always wanted a bike but never got one. My son wants to start riding and now that I have a wing, I think it would be a great father son bonding time. I am planning to get him into the MSF course this spring and follow up with Ride Like a Pro videos (anybody have some to sell?) and lots of one on one instruction.

As long as he is riding under my supervision I am hopeful he will learn good habits and become a safe, defensive, cautious driver. I am always concerned for his safety but as my wife points out it is much better for him to learn under my instruction than to learn at the hand of some wild and reckless buddy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is a nice post with good memories and fun times.
My son started riding bikes and then quads many years ago. It has used up an awful lot of his money, but given him a life that he just loves. He is now 40 years of age, and still rides on the track at least once a week, for the whole day.

His riding is what allows him to relax and enjoy life with the many friends that he now has. Yes, it's expensive. Sure it's risky. But so is life, and we only live it once.
My wife and I get nervous when he is away riding, ( and yes there have been injuries), but I would not change a thing, as he really has a better life due to his love of riding.

Just make sure that he proper gear is worn at all times. Here is a quick shot of him having a great time.

Enjoy !

Harry.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
My experience is a bit different that some of ya'll's. I was born in the US and raised in Italy from 7 to 18 years young. We lived in a large town (near the heel of the Boot, in the south east Region, Puglia), but had a small farm/villa about 1 mile outside of town. On this farm/villa, we used to keep a guard dog, a German Shepard, and it was my job to go once a day to bring him food with my bicycle. When I got old enough (approx. 10), my father told me that I could use his moped and later his Vespa 50cc to go back and forth to the villa, and take care of our dog. Later it was a bigger Moto Guzzi.

So, I was raised with bikes in the family before I could even ride them. Both of my sons now 31 and 26 ride their own bikes, but when they were in their late teens and asked me if they could buy their own bike, I told them that I would allow them to have their bikes provided they take the BRC course, which they did. Later on, I pushed them to go for the ERC, and to date they have taken 2 ERC courses each, and I firmly stress ATGATT.

I have been riding for 50 years and was self taught (there were no MSF courses or the equivalent in Italy at that time), but I didn't want to teach them my way, although safe, mind you, I wanted them to learn the techniques offered by the MSF courses.

We live under the Graceful Hand of the Man Upstairs. Anything could happen to anyone of us, at any time. Why not make that brief time that we have on Earth that much better by riding?

Mike

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
That question, I'm sure was ask many times as father's, but just wondered how most of you would answer.
My Standard Answer For Cars and Motorcycles: "Yes, provided that you can pay for it, learn to drive/ride it like a responsible person, not get arrested and take care of it. Otherwise, no - not until you're out of the house and on your own."

Background For Answer: My father was one of those who wouldn't buy me a vehicle or let me drive his - I had to work and get my own. Did the same thing with my own children.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
it was my mom and me and I wanted one so bad, she took me the down the a cycle shop it see the Honda 90cc, the guy said I could test ride it..which mom did not like at all but said O.K....I standed the bike on one wheel and it drag me a half of block before falling backwards....that was the end of my bike riding days..she would say "if you still dum when you get 21, I can't stop you"...with in Calif. I fell in with a gang of bad biked, I did not own one, but rode two up a lot. The Guards at the gate at the navy base..did not like six or seven hell angles pulling up and let me off..in unform..... so as soon I got back home ..I got a bike, and been on one for 36 years now...my son wants one...but I want let him drive unto he takes a riding class...I beleave in starting them off right....not the way I did it....

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
If you make it 'the forbidden fruit' they will do it anyway. What I did was rather than tell them NO I told them that my rules were that he had to take a rider safety course, get his license, ride with me ONLY until I was satisfied that he knew what he was doing. And then I would help him pick out a good first bike (not a Suzuki GSX 1000.)

Since then we have enjoyed many rides together. If he has a friend who he wants to bring along the friend rides with me on my wing. I still have to slow down and wait for my son to catch up to us. ;)

I also encourgae them to start in the dirt. They are going to fall and they are going to get hurt. But I figure in the dirt they have less of a chance to get hurt by others. They also learn that STUPIDITY HURTS in the dirt too.

And they pay for their own bikes and gear.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
My son and daughter have never been bitten by the bike bug and thats fine by me. Less worries for Pop.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts