GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fred,
Are you still riding the C14? What's your take after a year or so of owning one?
(Can't find an ABS wing locally for a decent price, but seeing some C14A's around for under 10K).
Thanks!

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
I have about 19K miles on the C14 now. So far no real problems. Valve checks are a bit more involved, but doable.

All in all, I'm happy with it, though I never have been real crazy about the color. I hear next year they will be a dark blue, so maybe I'll trade in the silver.

The only negatives I have is that the mirror position is bad and it really should have dual cans on the exhaust. Kawasaki wanted to "show off" the tetra-lever so they ruined the rest of the bike by putting the stupid single potato launcher on the right side of it, which in turn forced them to move the saddlebags up too high on the bike. Form over function. The glove box is also pretty flimsy, but I can live with it. Also, as usual, the OEM windshield is junk and has to be replaced with a Cee Baileys.

The engine is the smoothest inline 4 I have ever ridden, and the power and torque is pretty phenomenal, as are the brakes. It does like to eat rear tires though, so budget in money for new rubber. You will also need a Power Commander and you'll have to remove the secondary butterflies if you want to feel the way the engine was intended to pull (Mr. Sulu, engage)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hey Fred,
Are you still riding the C14? What's your take after a year or so of owning one?
(Can't find an ABS wing locally for a decent price, but seeing some C14A's around for under 10K).
Thanks!

You'll never get your lovely wife on a Connie for very long.....get the wing!!! You know she loved it!

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
You'll never get your lovely wife on a Connie for very long.....get the wing!!! You know she loved it!
I got my wife on back of the C14... Once. The Wing has her spoiled, but she rode on the back of my old Concours for many years with no problem. We could do it if we only had one bike, but it would be an adjustment for her.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I do not have the C14 but with my '05 Connie, my wife went on one ride with me and said, "take me home". And something else about that not being a back rest on the back of the seat. She called it a backstop. You know; to keep you from being thrown off the back on take off.:22yikes:

As Fred said about his wife being spoiled with the Wing. My wife will ride longer and later than I can with the wing. When we get back home from a trip, she wants to know when and where are we going next.

Buy a wing.

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
I do not have the C14 but with my '05 Connie, my wife went on one ride with me and said, "take me home". And something else about that not being a back rest on the back of the seat. She called it a backstop. You know; to keep you from being thrown off the back on take off.:22yikes:

As Fred said about his wife being spoiled with the Wing. My wife will ride longer and later than I can with the wing. When we get back home from a trip, she wants to know when and where are we going next.

Buy a wing.
Having a trunk and/or backrest is a requirement if you want to have a passenger on a bike like this. But you're right, there is no comparison to the Wing for passenger (and rider) comfort on a long trip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got my wife on back of the C14... Once. The Wing has her spoiled, but she rode on the back of my old Concours for many years with no problem. We could do it if we only had one bike, but it would be an adjustment for her.
+1 ... Laura made one short trip on the Tiger (with the Trunk/backrest) and when we got home all she had to say is "It ain't no wing"... but that's why I bought it ;)

We love our wing, but sometimes you just gotta get out and play.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, I know she loved it. On the way back from the last Mafia ride, she fell asleep a couple of times. Said when we got home that it was the best day she'd had in a LONG time. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, she TOLD me to buy another wing. Now that's a good thing, but now she wants heated seats, separate audio controls, rear speakers, GPS to avoid rain, etc. IOW, post '05 wing. Since I want ABS, choices are much more limited and cost is therefore so much higher than if we went with older, non-abs wing. And I know they're worth it, but in these times, I'm a little concerned with dropping that kind of cash.
Before that particular conversation, I was actually leaning towards a BMW GS, or an ST1300 or C14, since she'll be riding with me less often than before (which wasn't a helluva lot due to our schedules). I actually wanted all-road versatility to hit the forest roads in NGa, and the wing sucks on gravel, as would the ST's in the bunch.
I tride the two bike argument this morning; THAT didn't go over very well!

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
I actually wanted all-road versatility to hit the forest roads in NGa, and the wing sucks on gravel, as would the ST's in the bunch.
Then the C14 is the wrong bike to be looking at. You need something like VStrom, in addition to a new Wing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then the C14 is the wrong bike to be looking at. You need something like VStrom, in addition to a new Wing.
I was including the C14 in with the ST as being unsuitable for non-roads. Guess I could've made that a little clearer.
I can shake the $$ tree all day, but ain't enough going to fall out for two bikes if one of them is a 'wing...
I've heard nothing but great things about 'Stroms. I've considered a DL650 since it has ABS available, but they are pretty basic and would need lots of farkling to get all the bells and whistles built up, and I hardly have time to ride, much less farkle a bike.
I have been looking at a NOS Aprilia Caponord, which has ABS and is decently appointed.
Now if I could find a NOS '07 level 3 wing somewhere that someone wanted to get rid of really badly, maybe these silly thoughts about all-roading might go away.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Find a nice used wing.....add a larger heated seat, and the "Wingleader" passenger boards, HandWings, etc, and come ride with us again. We had such fun, and will again......hope you two can be part of it. We enjoyed your company.

Go give WOW a visit in Marietta.....they usually have a couple 1800's down there.

If you ain't ganna be able to ride much.....might as well do it in the ultimate comfort!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Find a nice used wing.....add a larger heated seat, and the "Wingleader" passenger boards, HandWings, etc, and come ride with us again. We had such fun, and will again......hope you two can be part of it. We enjoyed your company.

Go give WOW a visit in Marietta.....they usually have a couple 1800's down there.

If you ain't ganna be able to ride much.....might as well do it in the ultimate comfort!!!
Is the Mafia still riding these days?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts