GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hey Rocky I am thinking of some valve covers which would you recommend Thanks Tony http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=4576&str=4

Let me firsy say that is a good price for these covers.

Second I'll say that yes I've had bad cheome finish on Kury foot pegs.

Third my Kury VC are still in mint condition and they are 6 years old. I polish my chrome. "Not every kury part is chromed at the same place".

I refused to have my VC chromed because of the bolt holes, I haven't seen one set when they actually polished out where the bolt holes are, and to me I just don't like all them holes that would need to be polished with chrome cleaner as much as I clean my bike. Kury left the bottom section open for plug service. Which you can't see anyways unless you lay down to take a picture. lol

I like the kury covers because they have embossing on them and look way better than the Plain Jane flat look of the OEM chromed covers.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

BTW:
Mine have been off more than a few times. Black Performance foam two sided tape is all that's needed to re-install them. (They are metal-not cheap plastic)

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Third my Kury VC are still in mint condition and they are 6 years old. I polish my chrome. "Not every kury part is chromed at the same place".

I refused to have my VC chromed because of the bolt holes, I haven't seen one set when they actually polished out where the bolt holes are, and to me I just don't like all them holes that would need to be polished with chrome cleaner as much as I clean my bike. Kury left the bottom section open for plug service. Which you can't see anyways unless you lay down to take a picture. lol

I like the kury covers because they have embossing on them and look way better than the Plain Jane flat look of the OEM chromed covers.

View attachment 32473

BTW:
Mine have been off more than a few times. Black Performance foam two sided tape is all that's needed to re-install them. (They are metal-not cheap plastic)
Thanks Rocky, I liked embossed look too and are the OEM vc billet alum. ? And if so why can't u strip the paint and polish. I had billet alum on other bikes and not to bad to keep looking good and is better than chrome for Florida elements Thanks again

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks Rocky, I liked embossed look too and are the OEM vc billet alum. ? And if so why can't u strip the paint and polish. I had billet alum on other bikes and not to bad to keep looking good and is better than chrome for Florida elements Thanks again

The OEM covers are Cast Aluminum. and can be stripped and polished if you desire. as you seen in my picture, I went for the chrome everything on the lower part of the bike look.

I have everything aluminum polished on my CB900C, but I have to stay on top of it to keep it that nice or the elements make me work harder. lol

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The OEM covers are Cast Aluminum. and can be stripped and polished if you desire. as you seen in my picture, I went for the chrome everything on the lower part of the bike look.

I have everything aluminum polished on my CB900C, but I have to stay on top of it to keep it that nice or the elements make me work harder. lol

View attachment 32474
that's it the CB900C looks awesome.
So Is it as easy as checking manual, removing covers and strip and polish? I can always put on covers if i can.t get polishing to work out.
thanks again Tony

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
that's it the CB900C looks awesome.
So Is it as easy as checking manual, removing covers and strip and polish? I can always put on covers if i can.t get polishing to work out.
thanks again Tony
Tony.
Yes it's as simple as removing the bolts. Order new gaskets before you start. And REMEMBER these bolts have shoulders on them so DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN them or they will snap off at the shoulder. :eek:4:

I use the aerosol Paint stripper you get at Home Depot to strip the paint off of them. I suggest a dremmel tool kit to get into the small areas.

I use Jewelers buffing tips as they last longer than anything from dremmel.

I bought some of these to do my 900 http://www.feltbobs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=53nnbj5k56vfnon8mfq135s2e0

You can get a nice buffing pad for a shop bench grinder to get at the flats of the covers. Use the white rouge to get the finish as high a luster as possible. not to much pressure on the pad with the white rouge.
You can get them very close to chrome if you are patient.

Here is what I started with on the very same engine.

Before:
Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

After:

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Carburetor
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

·
Registered
889 Posts
Rocky,

Thanks very much for the feltbobs link. If these are better than the Dremel brand, I'll be a happy camper!!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky,

Thanks very much for the feltbobs link. If these are better than the Dremel brand, I'll be a happy camper!!
Yes htey are and way more durable too. Just don't put to much pressure on the very tips. let the buffer do the work. I used Flitz metal polish. because the Mothers tended to dry out faster. The Flitz stayed more of a liquid and did a far better job on the finish polishing too.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts

View attachment 32473

BTW:
No offense but I love my chromed valve covers. They afre courgeous and have been on for 4 years and are still perfect. Sorry but stick ons just don't cut if for me. Personal opinion. If I were to get a new Wing 2 things I would have from the get go, chrome wheels and valvel covers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts