GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Hubby has surprised me with a trip to Sister Bay WI. Ride has been awesome! Anyway, while riding today we were waved to by a bunch of those Harley dudes with a 2-finger wave. I know that you guys said what that meant before but we couldn't remember. What does that mean? Calling for rain tomorrow so we're still here and can spend the day at the resort :D :D Then Monday we are off to only he knows where and I love it!! He is so wonderful to me!

Anyway, was curious about what that wave was? Anybody??

Thanks,

Mrs.Taz

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Upside down V-day salute? A remnant of a time when most bikers were returning vets.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, didn't really expect a serious answer but thought that I'd try. Was the first two fingers sideways with the thumb up. OK? Geesh guys, can't a girl get a straight answer these days??? :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It's just a matter of style.

Sometimes I give a full handed wave. It's a little more difficult at high speed.

Sometimes I give a 2 fingered wave, no higher than the grips on the handlebar. It's just cool! 8) It's like, "Hey, I see you but I'm just enjoying myself so much that I can't look at you very much."

Sometimes I see another GW and I get excited and nearly fall off trying to wave so much. :oops:

A wave or not is a matter of personal choice and personal style. Sometimes the styles change.

It's something that you have to observe and experience for yourself.

I always feel that a wave is better than no wave.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I got the same wave yesterday coming home from a rally everyone else was headed up, so I met bikes every few miles for a couple hundred miles. Almost all waved but the cruisers guys would all give the two finger pointed at the ground. I figured it meant keep two wheels on the ground, if that ain't it I don't know but almost all done it. :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The one that you want to watch out for is the "patting" signal. It's the don't go too fast signal; cops in the area.

That one is usually answered by a nod.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
It really very simple, if another biker waves to you with anything other than one finger, it's a friendly *hey biker buddy, great day for a ride, be safe*

If it's one finger? you did something bad/wrong and you made someone mad :oops:

just wave back with a big smile on your face, the biker going the other way will know exactly what you mean :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
bcramer said:
Hi everyone!

Hubby has surprised me with a trip to Sister Bay WI. Ride has been awesome! Anyway, while riding today we were waved to by a bunch of those Harley dudes with a 2-finger wave. I know that you guys said what that meant before but we couldn't remember. What does that mean? Calling for rain tomorrow so we're still here and can spend the day at the resort :D :D Then Monday we are off to only he knows where and I love it!! He is so wonderful to me!

Anyway, was curious about what that wave was? Anybody??

Thanks,

Mrs.Taz
I always wave that way, it's just a habit. But a two fingered wave also catches a lot less air coming around your fairing. T.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I was told, by someone who used to ride with "those type of bikers," that two fingers pointed down meant something like: "You are not wearing the same colors as me so you are nothing more to me than a stain on the road."

All that poser rivalry stuff, y'know. :lol:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Medical jargon for a digital prostate exam = finger wave!

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
It's just a lazey peace sign. Perhaps a lot of you are to young to remember those days.
**** :D

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
bcramer said:
OK, didn't really expect a serious answer but thought that I'd try. Was the first two fingers sideways with the thumb up. OK? Geesh guys, can't a girl get a straight answer these days??? :D :D :D
way back in the 60's when I hung around with truckers in the Pacific Northwest, 2 fingers sideways was a signal that there was a speed trap or patrol car close. Most likely has no connection with todays meaning....what ever that may be.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I thought that was the daytime signal for "okay". At night they would flash their lights twice.

Later, CBs became the real way to communicate.

·
Registered
922 Posts
From one of the HD clubs I ride with....1 finger down for a metric bike, 2 fingers down for a American bike, HD, Indian, ect... Interesting about the inverted V, makes sense.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts