GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding to Texas from Virginia for a high school reunion in Port Lavaca , Oct 1 & 2nd. Got a week to kill before I need to be in Houston on Oct 8th for a football game, so I was thinking about running out to the Big Bend park for a few days. I grew up around PL but never got out West much, plus, that was a long time ago, so I'm not really sure what sort of weather I'll be running into at that time of year. Cold, super cold, mild, rainy? I'll be by myself so will have plenty of room for gear. Also, any tips on what to see in the Big Bend area? Any help would be really appreciated. :coffee1:

·
Registered
374 Posts
October in West Texas? LD Comfort and cooling vests will be in order.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It will be warm but not killer hot like it is now.

A group of us went to Big Bend last year around Sept 20 and it was pretty decent. Warm but not unbearable.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be warm but not killer hot like it is now.

A group of us went to Big Bend last year around Sept 20 and it was pretty decent. Warm but not unbearable.
Thanks. Thats pretty much what I figured, but thought it was a good idea to ask. :coffee1:

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you have time I head thru the Hill Country, Bandera, Leakey & Camp Wood (Three Sisters area) starting from Helotes. Then North of Del Rio on 90 you'll drive across the Pecos River (see picture on bottom of my post). Just a few miles up the road don't miss Langtry. A lot of history in this small little town.

Big Bend 2010 061-1.jpg

Big Bend 2010 065-1.jpg

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have time I head thru the Hill Country, Bandera, Leakey & Camp Wood (Three Sisters area) starting from Helotes. Then North of Del Rio on 90 you'll drive across the Pecos River (see picture on bottom of my post). Just a few miles up the road don't miss Langtry. A lot of history in this small little town.

View attachment 14750

View attachment 14751
Thanks, I'll check it out. :coffee1:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of my best friends' wife is a grad of Port Lavaca High. I don't know her maiden name, but she is now Beverly Cash ... Somewhere in her fifties.
I graduated in '61 and she sounds much younger than I am. Probably wouldn't know her, but hey, it's a small town. :coffee1:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

View attachment 14750

View attachment 14751

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm planning on overnighting in Uvalde and ( I guess there is no polite way of saying this) doing the three sisters the next day. :coffee1:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

View attachment 14750

View attachment 14751
Exactly what I was going to say. Lot more fun riding the sisters and hwy 16 between Bandera and Kerrville then riding a flat slab out to Big Bend.

The Three Sisters stands for highways 335, 336 and 337. Beautiful, twisty roads yet dangerous if you do not respect them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:nojoke:It's going to be hot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts