GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not want to start a huge debate over which lift is best, PittBull is not an option due to price.
The HF and SEARS seems to have the same lifting capacity and lift height, priced the same at this time.

Will either of these lifts raise the GW up high enough to remove the rear wheel?
Will it just roll out the back or does the center fender need to be removed?

I have an 09 with XM/Navi, so yes it has the big ass amp box hanging behind the rear wheel.
Over this Winter when I do a tire change I want to remove both the wheels at the same time and take them to a powder coater.
The GW will probably sit in the corner of the garage that way all Winter.

If you have one of these lifts and have removed the rear tire, input please.
TIA
Alan

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,886 Posts
Had the HF jack for about 2 days. It was waaaay too tippy for my taste. Did not feel it would be safe so it was returned.

While at HF and Sears I measured the distance across the lift arms. If memory serves me correctly, it was about 12". The Sears is 14"

I have a J&S, which is 17" across the lift arms. Same as PitBull. Very stable.

J&S lifts 18". PitBull about 28"

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the Sears lift and can remove the rear tire without removing the center fender. I just drop it out the bottom and raise the new one right up in there.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Hey I certainly understand finances. That's why I bought a used Goldwing. I can't afford a new one. I almost bought the Sears lift and my wife talked me out of it. Told me to wait another year. Little did I know she had ordered a Pit Bull as a Father's Day gift.

I do think the Pit Bull is more stable, but as long as you strap the Wing down on the Sears (or HF) lift you should be OK. Any of the three raise the rear wheel high enough for removal. Lots of people, including Fred H., if I remember correctly from his maintenance videos, have the Sears lift.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not meaning to be rude in any way but you can afford a 09 navi but can't afford a Pitt Bull lift? I would wait until I could buy a pitt or a table.
Kurt :thumbup:
Not rude at all Kurt, this is a one off project. If I am just changing tires out I have access to a friends dealer grade lift and tire changer.
For oil changes and anything that does not require rear wheel removal, which I have not had to take out yet, I just use the center stand.
When this project occurs I can't tie up the friends lift for probably close to 3 weeks while the wheels are getting done.
After that the lift will probably get used only for the small tractor or maybe holding the DR650 off the ground in the winter, no center stand on it.
I just have a hard time justifying some where in the neighbor of $500 bucks for something that will only lift the GW once or twice.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I have the harbor freight lift and also cannot justify the cost of a pit bull or many other things I would like to have but just doesn't make sense for me, a certain cargo trailer and a certain suspension upgrade come to mind.

The harbor freight lift works fine for removing both wheels. I have only strapped the bike down once in the dozen time I have had the wing up on it. Don't get me wrong, it is tippy, just keep that in mind and don't go jerking around on the bike or try to climb up on it. Keep the grandkids away from it unless you strap it down.

If I was Bull Dawg or Rocky or anyone else that was lifting Goldwings all the time, I'd have a pitbull...but I'm not and the harbor freight serves me well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the Sears lift (same one as Canadian Tire) and last year changed both front and rear tires without removing the rear fendor. For additional stability I always strap both side of the bike(front and back) to hooks in the ceiling. This gives me a bit more comfort knowing the bike is stable.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I do not want to start a huge debate over which lift is best, PittBull is not an option due to price.
The HF and SEARS seems to have the same lifting capacity and lift height, priced the same at this time.

Will either of these lifts raise the GW up high enough to remove the rear wheel?
Will it just roll out the back or does the center fender need to be removed?

I have an 09 with XM/Navi, so yes it has the big ass amp box hanging behind the rear wheel.
Over this Winter when I do a tire change I want to remove both the wheels at the same time and take them to a powder coater.
The GW will probably sit in the corner of the garage that way all Winter.

If you have one of these lifts and have removed the rear tire, input please.
TIA
Alan

I have two, a Sears & one made by Torin "Big Red" although I wouldn't recommend either, if I had to choose it would be the sears simply because of where the controls are located, with the Sears I can control the MC while using my foot to operate the levers, while the Torin requires me to get down and release the hydraulics with my hand (which makes me very nervous). Now I do not know where the controls are located on the HF model but it is worth a look. I understand not wanting to put out he money for a pitbull or a J&S, (I have been putting it off for awhile) but if I am going to continue to ride these big bikes I think it is a bullet I am going to have to bite! My vote goes to the sears, it has worked well with the lighter bikes & (if a person is careful) could get by using it on the heavier ones. Good Luck msn

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the harbor freight lift and also cannot justify the cost of a pit bull or many other things I would like to have but just doesn't make sense for me, a certain cargo trailer and a certain suspension upgrade come to mind.

The harbor freight lift works fine for removing both wheels. I have only strapped the bike down once in the dozen time I have had the wing up on it. Don't get me wrong, it is tippy, just keep that in mind and don't go jerking around on the bike or try to climb up on it. Keep the grandkids away from it unless you strap it down.

If I was Bull Dawg or Rocky or anyone else that was lifting Goldwings all the time, I'd have a pitbull...but I'm not and the harbor freight serves me well.
Thanks Mike, all things considered will probably go with the Sears lift as they are 40 miles closer than HF.
It's a Sears but it does not have a power cord or a gas cap so it should be OK.

Nice color bike by the way, same as mine, the fast color.

Are there any good roads to ride along the river down that way?
I'm in the flat mile square section of IL.

·
Administrator
4,354 Posts
If you want a lift for reasons other than removing the wheels, go for it. However,if you just want to remove the rear wheel why not just lay it over on its'side? It takes maybe 10 minutes to have the wheel out if you’re old and slow like me.

I know you wouldn't want to have it on its' side for 3 weeks while having the wheel powdercoated, so you might consider getting an extra rear wheel. I paid $75 for my last rear wheel. I keep one handy with a MT mounted for emergencies, and also have another extra wheel with a run-flat mounted for when I just need to swap tires. My two rims with run-flats are both powdercoated, but I think I’ll polish and clearcoat the rim with ther ound tire.

You could buy a spare rear rim, have it powdercoated, mount a new tire on it, and put it on your Goldwing. (Either on its’side or on your friend’s lift) You could then pull the front wheel to have it powdercoated with the bike on the centerstand. No jacks needed and you wind up with a spare wheel so you can have a spare tire ready to go.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Glen

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
IIRC I had both wheels off using just the center stand. Removed the rear and raised the front off the ground using small jack. Removed front wheel. Bike was fine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have used the Sears Lift for many years now and not had any problems. Not to say that problems cannot arise. If you only use the lift occasionally, as most riders do, then it is fine. For a business it definitely wouldn't even be close when comparing to a lift table. I put mine up on the lift to change tires and clean the bike about twice a year. I also tie it down no matter how long it is to be on the lift. A habit I got into when I first got the lift. At times I have left my bike sitting on the lift for up to a month because I was just doing things at my own slow pace.

Some people say because you own a wing that you should only spend the maximum for anything on it. Well I had to save and put away the money for my wing and wasting money on excesses is just not in my life style. Over kill as far as cost or functionality is totally out of the question. My 2 cents.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The short of a long story-Almost dumped my then new WideGlide(much lighter than a Wing) when one of the Angled support arms(go from the base to the forward end of the lift part the bike sets on) collapsed on my HF! Yes it was strapped and yes the locks were engaged! Funny thing, when the lift suddenly drops, the straps go slack!
Next lift was a Pit Bull.
I'd wait until I had the $$'s for the PitBull.
I'm sure you know, you can remove the rear wheel out the back or you can use the lay over method discussed many times on this board.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree with what Glenn said.I bought a spare wheel for $100 and laid her down to swap wheels.I have a Sears lift because a friend was selling it for $25 ,but I would't feel comfortable using it to remove rear wheel just because of the shaking around you may have to do.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I pretty sure with either of those choices you will not be able to roll the wing around on the jack. So you will have to pull the wheels off where you're going to store the wing. May or may not be an issue for you. For me, being able to move the wing around is important.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I have used the Sears lift for many years on 3 different 1800's. I lift the bike, then set the lock and lower the lift to the lock. I then install the tie down straps.

If you need to roll the bike around and dance with it while in the air, I would suggest the Pittbull lift for that.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I have used the Sears lift for many years on 3 different 1800's. I lift the bike, then set the lock and lower the lift to the lock. I then install the tie down straps.

Same here except I used the Sears lift on 2 Goldwings an 1 H-D Ultra Classic.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Not rude at all Kurt, this is a one off project. If I am just changing tires out I have access to a friends dealer grade lift and tire changer.
For oil changes and anything that does not require rear wheel removal, which I have not had to take out yet, I just use the center stand.
When this project occurs I can't tie up the friends lift for probably close to 3 weeks while the wheels are getting done.
After that the lift will probably get used only for the small tractor or maybe holding the DR650 off the ground in the winter, no center stand on it.
I just have a hard time justifying some where in the neighbor of $500 bucks for something that will only lift the GW once or twice.
If you need your wheels to be off for awhile do what I did before I had a lift.
Put bike on center stand and put a ratchet strap on the center stand so it won't fold up.
Remove the front tire, then let the front end down close to the floor, that will raise the rear wheel high enough to remove it.
Even works better if you put the center stand on a piece of 2 X 6 to get a little more height.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts