GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering putting an HF radio on my 03 wing, along with a High Sierra antenna.

I already have a Kenwood D700a for Vhf-Uhf, and have been HF mobile for years from a cage, but need input from any of you who have completed an HF installation, on a Wing.

I have an older Yaesu Ft900AT, but there are no longer any remote cables available as Yaesu has stopped making the radio and remote kits. Next choice is a new Icom 706. Have seen many used for mobile and even motorcycle mobile.

Any comments about mic and electrical connections to helmet would be appreciated. I have a HJC flip front helmet with existing mic from J&M.

Going to retire in Jan 07, and start taking some longer trips, like to Billings, MT for Wing Ding 2007. It is a long trip from the L.A. area through Utah, etc, so HF would be a nice add-on.

Bob - WD6L

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
How will you mount the antenna??? On a trailer hitch maybe?? I saw some Wings at the Dayton Hamvention that were set up for HF but never got to talk with the guys. I believe on of them was a 706, but the other was a Kenwood. Can't remember their model on the small HF mobile. I would also be interested in knowing about RF feedback into headsets and computer systems. With virtually NO ground plane to work against, it could be an issue. But maybe not. The 2 or 3 watts MAX that a CB puts out are sure no comparison, and I know the SWR is hard to get down on those, even the factory version of antenna. Let me know what you find out. BTW, I am W8FAX.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Antenna mounting

Well, I had thought about coming off the trailer hitch mounting hardware, behind the trunk/right side bag, and starting the mount from there.

So far, 50 watts on 2 and 40 on 440 have not been an RF problem for the bike.

Getting the SWR down on a large coil like a bug-catcher or the High Sierra can get a very low SWR. I agree the ground plane is small on the bike, but expect that I will stay on 20 & 17 meters mostly for now, an of course the upper bands when they come back in play.

Maybe the Kenwood was a TS-50, as they are very small too.

Bob - WD6L

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I have operated HF on bikes many times. I would always pull a trailer to get more ground plane. mounted the antenna (Broadbander BB3) on the tongue of the trailer. Glue two micro switches together and wire as an Iambic keyer and mount on right handle bar. Use a hand Mic on the radio and listen through a speaker.

I have used large radios (Icom 765) sitting on back seat and also small radio's mounted on bike. It's all fun but you gotta keep brain engaged on the riding part also.

Think I and another guy hold the record for motorcycle mobile CW to motorcycle mobile CW ... He was in Canada and I was in Oregon. You can read about us in the latest issue of ARRL Mobile Handbook.

I had a Hustler (borrowed) mounted on the GL-1800 two summers ago and the antenna fell off in Mo. and I spent a long time looking for it and never did find it.

73 de KA7W 8)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RFI issues

Tom

I assume then that you have not had RFI issues affecting the computers on the bike.

Just wondering how you used a hand mic on the bike. I have a full face helmet, so would be tight squeeze for that set up. Will have to work out some sort of mic like a Heil unit with a PTT mounted somewhere.

Thanks for your imput

Bob - WD6L

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: RFI issues

wd6l said:
Tom

I assume then that you have not had RFI issues affecting the computers on the bike.

Just wondering how you used a hand mic on the bike. I have a full face helmet, so would be tight squeeze for that set up. Will have to work out some sort of mic like a Heil unit with a PTT mounted somewhere.

Thanks for your imput

Bob - WD6L
I asked Bob Heil about selling a headset for motorcycle helmets but he didn't seem to think that there would be enough of a market for it.

I run 100 watts CW with a TS-2000 into a High Sierra in my truck but haven't tried it on my Wing yet.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Here's a resource if you haven't already seen it. I believe Ray Davis started this club, I met him here in Houston last year. He travels the country supporting fundraisers like the MS-150 bicycle ride. When I met him, he had come ot Houston to support the ride from Houston to San Antonio.

http://www.marc-hq.org/

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I have operated 100 watt motorcycle mobile both SSB and CW many many times and never had a RFI problem. I always used a tunable antenna so operated 160 meters and up. (Broadbander BB3 with attachable 160 coil)

Always had a trailer on while doing HF ... So no experience without a trailer.

CW in the twisties is a fun way to go, but you still gotta keep your head working or you will bite the dust. If you are real slow, you can even call CQ at the drag strip before the end of the run :lol:

The Mic thing was easy, just talk into it as normal, I always had either a Flip up or 3/4 helmet.

73 de KA7W 8)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
One of the MARCies has a 706 mounted on a BMW K bike. He's been all over the country with it. I believe he's done some CW with it, but he mostly does SSB. He has a bracket bolted on below the saddle bags and another brace above them, but the hitch mount would seem to be a good bet on the Wing.

I've always figured that the amount of ground plane available on even a car was pretty well maxed out at 50 MHz (>8 feet for a 1/4 wave ground plane) and that the ground plane at frequencies below that was pretty well what ever you could come up with. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Speaking of HF
I got a stickler of a problem with swr at approx 155mhz.
I would like a fresh thought on this cause it got me stumped.
SWR totally wacky.

I ruled out (think I have) inductive coupling, antenna length, balum tuning, crimped or damaged RG58, and looked at anything that might even be considered at harmonic length of the transmitting element, close to the antenna.
Would like to pick some ones brains here but obviously not on this medium.
Could I pm one of you fellow hams.
It could benifit a Gl1800 install also.( to keep it wing related.) :wink:
Mac clarke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts